How do I convert 480i to 1080i from satellite to HDTV

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
whyme505898
How do I convert 480i to 1080i from satellite to HDTV

Hello,I have a Vizio 50inch plasma HDTV and I am only recieving 480i from Dish Satellite.Is there any type of coverter box I can install and turn the 48i to a 1080 i input to the tv set. The picture is not terrible,but you can tell it is not to its fullest picture.

I have a DVD player that converts the CD to 1080i and the picture is awesome. Does anyone have a idea on what to do or use,I would appreciate any type of help.Thank You,,MarkSmile

ssfish
Mark, there is nothing that

Mark, there is nothing that I know of that is going to make your 480i source look much better on your 1080i display other that upgrading to an HD sat box. There are things such as audio/video recievers and multi input switchers that will up convert your video source from a composite or s-video to a component or HDMI output for ease of connection to your tv display but its not going to improve picture quality much if at all.. you need the HD source.

scott

Matt Whitlock
Technically, your television

Technically, your television already "converts (as you say)" the 480i image you receive to whatever the native resolution of your display happens to be. Upconverting DVD players do this process on their own, with better quality source in the digital domain, so the results are typically better.

While there are external "converters" you can use (expensive), Scott is 100% correct that it really won't improve it much (if any). If you want to dramatically improve your image quality, opt to upgrade to a high definition satellite box. This way, you can enjoy whatever HD programming is available in HD quality.

whyme505898
OK,you both answered by

OK,you both answered by question,I figured to myself that in order to get a 1080p, you will have to have a HD receiver to get the 1080p to the TV.I was just wondering if they made a out of the box converter instead of having to pay extra for a receiver for HD channels. Like a converter to take a 480 and push it through and out comes 1080 to your TV set.
OK,THANKS SCOTT AND MATT,you pretty much summed it up,i guess I will have to deal with what I have,the picture isn't terrible,but I know it could be better with 1080p.Thanks again,any other ideas,I'm all ears,Thanks,,Mark

ssfish
I'd call Dishnet and Direct

I'd call Dishnet and Direct TV and ask what deals they have going, both usually offer free equipment upgrade and installation if you willing to sign a 1 or 2 year contract. Also,how are you getting your local stations ? If its through the sat box you're still only getting SDTV, try using a antenna hooked to your tv's tuner. If it can pick up your local stations you will get them in HD (as long as they are sending HD content) Not only would the picture quality be much better you can watch them during heavy storms which a lot of satelite signals break up then. I run into customers all the time that don't realize they can get HDTV for free off the air, if you are within 25 miles of the station you can usually use a simple set of rabbit ears. In the St.Louis area I often use a paper clip as an antenna and get all the station in HD.It surprises a lot of people..

Larry Dillon
dish charges 10.00 bucks a

dish charges 10.00 bucks a month for HD programming and yes you need to upgrade to an HD capable receiver, if you do not get it on the install time they charge you 100 bucks to upgrade the box, how do I know this? I just went through this myself
Larry

whyme505898
Larry,thanks for the reply. I

Larry,thanks for the reply. I found that out,called Dish and that is what they told me. I just upgraded all my receivers about 3 months ago to their DVR receivers and did not even think about the HD,( did not have a HD TV)now I have a HD TV. Oh well,I will tough it out,spring will be here soon and I wont be watching much TV being outside. Like the saying go's Maybe Next Year??? Thanks and enjoy.Mark

whyme505898
ssfish said:

ssfish said:
I'd call Dishnet and Direct TV and ask what deals they have going, both usually offer free equipment upgrade and installation if you willing to sign a 1 or 2 year contract. Also,how are you getting your local stations ? If its through the sat box you're still only getting SDTV, try using a antenna hooked to your tv's tuner. If it can pick up your local stations you will get them in HD (as long as they are sending HD content) Not only would the picture quality be much better you can watch them during heavy storms which a lot of satelite signals break up then. I run into customers all the time that don't realize they can get HDTV for free off the air, if you are within 25 miles of the station you can usually use a simple set of rabbit ears. In the St.Louis area I often use a paper clip as an antenna and get all the station in HD.It surprises a lot of people..

ssfish,hey,I am stuck with a two year agreement with Dish,3 months ago I upgraded to the DVR service and stuck for 2 years with them. When I have a few minutes,i have a few rabbit ears i will try a set and hook up to the set. Channel 5 here has HD output,I am going to check it out and see what a picture difference will make. I hooked my laptop up to the set through HDMI and got 1080i through my laptop. The laptop can play blueray disc,I downloaded a few movies off of Graboid Video,these played back at 780p,not to bad of a picture.OK gotta run,I will let you know with rabbit ears will do,tHANKS for the reply,never thought about using a antenna,I might have to use a digital converter? I will let you know,Mark

redheadj
Hi,

Hi,

I just came across this thread and have a similar question. We just bought a 780p 32" Vizio LCD tv, and the picture is great. However, I think it can be better. We have DISH HDTV DVR receiver boxes, but when you click "info" on the tv, it states that the content is 480i. Any way to up this to 780p? Also, I'm not a pro but I'm assuming that i=p?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jessica

evil
i does not = P they each have

i does not = P they each have their ups and downs but most say p=Progressive scan is better than i=insterlaced

redheadj
Ok! Thanks for that! But

Ok! Thanks for that! But what does that mean in the instance of 480i? Is it still using 780p?

Sorry I'm confused!

evil
You think your confused now

You think your confused now just wait.the 480 for a vertical frame resolution of 480 lines containing picture information; while NTSC has a total of 525 lines, only 480 of these are used to display the image for DV-NTSC.

[edit] Technical Detail
For analog NTSC there are a total of 525 scanning lines of which originally 486 lines were active (243 complete lines per field) and later 480 (240 complete lines per field). A full frame is split into odd and even fields where an odd field starts with half a line and the even field ends with the other half of the line. By convention an NTSC video frame is considered to start with an even field followed by an odd field. The disparity of the line numbering compared to other systems is solved by defining the line numbering to start five equalising pulses (or 2 and a half lines) earlier than on all other systems (including Systems A and E even though they had no equalising pulses) on the first equalising pulse following an active line or half line. This has the effect of placing a half line of video at the end of the even (first) field and the beginning of the odd (second field). Thus the line numbers correspond to the real lines of the video frame. On all other systems, the field was considered to start with the falling edge of the first field pulse which gave the confusing position that the odd field (first) had a half a line of video occupying the latter half of a whole line and ended with a whole line of video but half a scanning line (and vice versa for the even field). The NTSC convention solved this confusion.[1]

For DV-NTSC only 480 lines are used. The digitally transmitted horizontal resolution is usually 720 samples (which includes 16 samples for the horizontal sync and horizontal blanking) or 704 visible pixels with an aspect ratio of 4:3 and therefore a display resolution of 640 ? 480 (VGA); that is standard-definition television (SDTV) with a 4:3 aspect ratio.[2][3][4][5]

The field rate (not the frame rate) is usually (60/100.1% ≈) 59.94 hertz for color TV and can be rounded up to 60 Hz. There are several conventions for written shorthands for the combination of resolution and rate: 480i60, 480i/60 (EBU) and 480/60i. 480i is usually used in countries that conventionally use NTSC (most of the Americas and Japan), because the 525 transmitted lines at 60 hertz of analogue NTSC contain 480 visible ones.

480i can be transported by all major digital television formats, ATSC, DVB and ISDB.

wikipedia.org,2010.Technical detail.Retrieved November 28,2010 From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/480i

as for if its using 780p who knows

evil
I think your resolution

I think your resolution depends on what component source your using on the TV.Use AV cables instead of coaxial cable,pay attention to the numbers written on the input component on the back of the tv and also the output of the source in your case your dish box

Matt Whitlock
redheadj said: Hi, I just

redheadj said: Hi, I just came across this thread and have a similar question. We just bought a 780p 32" Vizio LCD tv, and the picture is great. However, I think it can be better. We have DISH HDTV DVR receiver boxes, but when you click "info" on the tv, it states that the content is 480i. Any way to up this to 780p? Also, I'm not a pro but I'm assuming that i=p? Thanks in advance for any help! Jessica

First, you need to make sure that the Dish HD box is properly connected to your display via HDMI or component video cables. No other connection will pass HD on to the display.

Second, go into the settings area for the Dish box, and make sure there isn't a setting focing a lower resolution output.

Finally, not all your channels will be in high definition, so those may report as 480i since they're not HD channels when you hit your info button. Make sure you're tuned into the HD version of the channel if available. For those that aren't, your box and/or TV will handle upconverting the image to fit on your HD display, but it will not magically transform the image into a super-clear HD one.

redheadj
Matt Whitlock said:

Matt Whitlock said:

redheadj said: Hi, I just came across this thread and have a similar question. We just bought a 780p 32" Vizio LCD tv, and the picture is great. However, I think it can be better. We have DISH HDTV DVR receiver boxes, but when you click "info" on the tv, it states that the content is 480i. Any way to up this to 780p? Also, I'm not a pro but I'm assuming that i=p? Thanks in advance for any help! Jessica

First, you need to make sure that the Dish HD box is properly connected to your display via HDMI or component video cables. No other connection will pass HD on to the display. Second, go into the settings area for the Dish box, and make sure there isn't a setting focing a lower resolution output. Finally, not all your channels will be in high definition, so those may report as 480i since they're not HD channels when you hit your info button. Make sure you're tuned into the HD version of the channel if available. For those that aren't, your box and/or TV will handle upconverting the image to fit on your HD display, but it will not magically transform the image into a super-clear HD one.

Connect With Techlore