Trouble burning DVDs that play in other players

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
BROWNSUGGA253
Trouble burning DVDs that play in other players

Hi Matt!
I have a Dell Vostro 220 series and when I burn a dvd using windows media player along with Maxwell DVD-R dvd's, they will not play in any of my dvd players in the house. They say incorrect disc. Am I using the wrong dvd's to burn with? Should they be DVD+R. Please help. Thanks! You have been so helpful with my other problems. I do appreciate you taking the time to help the less fortunate when it comes to computers and technology. You're great!

Matt Whitlock
As long as the DVD players

As long as the DVD players aren't really, really old, they should be able to read both DVD-R and DVD+R. So, I doubt the disc type is the issue. This is likely all about what content you're burning and how you're creating the discs.

First, I'll have to ask a few questions before I can give you any real answers.

Question #1: What are you trying to burn to a DVD? Is this home movie content, videos you downloaded off the web, or are you trying to copy a commercial disc?

Question #2: You say you're burning DVDs with Windows Media Player, but can you describe the steps you take to burn a disc? Also, real quick, can you note what version of Windows you're using?

BROWNSUGGA253
I am burning movies (dvd rips

I am burning movies (dvd rips) downloaded off the web. Once downloaded into windows media player (VISTA), I then go to burn in windows media player and it asks for me to insert blank dvd. Once done burning, it finalizes the dvd and ejects.

BROWNSUGGA253
I am burning movies (dvd rips

I am burning movies (dvd rips) downloaded off the web. Once downloaded into windows media player on windows version(VISTA), I then go to burn in windows media player and it asks for me to insert blank dvd. Once done burning, it finalizes the dvd and ejects. The burned dvd will not play in the other dvd players in my house (3 of them, however it will play on the computer using the burned dvd. My computer is a Vostro 220 series. Please help, very annoyed. Would love to learn how to do this. Thanks!

Matt Whitlock
First... naughty naughty on

First... naughty naughty on downloading DVD rips off the web.

Second, can you give me the file extension of one of these rips? .iso, .mp4, .avi, etc?

BROWNSUGGA253
First...I know, naughty

First...I know, naughty naughty me. Second, the file extensions for one of the rips is avi.

Matt Whitlock
AVI is a container that can

AVI is a container that can be video encoded in a wide variety of digital video and audio formats.

The best thing I can recommend, in this case, is to forget using Windows Media Player or Windows Movie Maker to turn this into a DVD-Video compatible disc for you. Come to think of it, I'm not really even sure that's something WMP can do.

You'll need an alternative piece of software to do the trick. Look to see if you have the Nero or Roxio Suites installed. I've personally always used Nero for things like this, so if you don't have it I'm not too familiar with many "free" alternatives. A search revealed this program: http://www.dvdstyler.de/. It looks like it will do the job, but I've never used it. Download at your own risk.

BROWNSUGGA253
I do have Roxio Creator DE.

I do have Roxio Creator DE. So do I add data from my files on my computer and then burn or should it be the folders? Thanks again!

BROWNSUGGA253
Thanks, I believe I now

Thanks, I believe I now understood what I need to do. I hadn't learned how to use the software until. Thanks alot. But would love to still hear your respone. Thanks!

Matt Whitlock
BROWNSUGGA253 said:

BROWNSUGGA253 said:
I do have Roxio Creator DE. So do I add data from my files on my computer and then burn or should it be the folders? Thanks again!

Roxio Creator DE is a "lite" version that ships with Dell computers. I'm not all that familiar with what it does and doesn't do. (Roxio doesn't support it on their site) I did find a screenshot online, and if it's the same, look for an option to create a video DVD under the video menu on the left. Hopefully it will prompt you to add what video files you'd like made, then convert them to the appropriate format and burn the disc. 

You'll need to experiment a bit, and I suggest looking through the program's help file. If it won't convert the files for you, we'll have to find some alternative tools to get the job done. 

BROWNSUGGA253
Well, I have learned how to

Well, I have learned how to find the location of the video file on hard drive and as Roxio Creator DE is open and the ADD DATA tab is open along with it saying add files, I just drag from file location to Roxio Creator and drop,the it allows me to save the data on my desktop, under Roxio Creator DE. So I believe I am on the right track. Just have to give it a test. Ran out of dvd's, lol. will get some in next couple of days. Will let you know if I need further alternative tools to get the job done. Thanks Again!

Matt Whitlock
Make sure you're not creating

Make sure you're not creating a data DVD, that won't play in a common DVD player. You need to specifically create a Video DVD. Check the help file to make sure it's going to make the right thing.

Connect With Techlore