Philips 50" Projection TV has messed up Color...

1 post / 0 new
Jbbrack03
Philips 50" Projection TV has messed up Color...

I've got a Philips 50" 50p8341a Projection TV. Recently it started giving me an orangish picture. So I finally got tired of watching it (the whole screen is orange although the image is still fairly sharp). I took the back off of the TV and found the adjustment box. It has six screws (1 set for each color with a focus and voltage screw for each color). I thought I just needed to turn down the red and turn up the green and blue. So I turned down the voltage for the red and started to turn up the green. There was a little pop and the screen turned off (although the TV itself stayed on). I freaked out because I thought that I really broke it. So I told my fiance that I destroyed our TV and she went and turned it on and it gave me an orange picture again. So I've been sitting there trying small adjustments with the voltage on each color and I can't seem to get it right. There is always a strong dominant red color and I can occassionally see a little bit of blue. I can only turn each voltage screw about a 15th of a full turn before it turns the set off. That happens when I turn up any of the colors. So I'm betting that something is broken, but I don't know what I need to replace, or if I should be attempting this myself at all. I'm pretty good with computer electronics, so I'm comfortable working on it, but I'm not familiar with the danger spots. I don't want to take this set to a TV repair guy because it really isn't worth putting $200 into. We don't have money for a new TV right now and my fiance is going to kill me if I don't fix it. Any ideas?

Connect With Techlore