XBOX 360, Difficulties Sharing Media From PCs

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nytwolf
XBOX 360, Difficulties Sharing Media From PCs

hi there all,
this is a query to Matt Whitlock.
i have two laptops, one is running xp sevice pack 2 with media player 9, i have deleted most programs on it as i am planning to re-install new software. the other laptop is running windows vista and has wmp 11.
the problem i am experiencing is that when i use my old laptop to connect via ethernet cable to xbox 360, i am obtaining connection, and IP address but it wont pick up pc because i cannot media share. i understand that this is because i do not have the latest wmp. when i try to connect with my new laptop, my xbox fails the IP address test, but i have checked on my laptop under the network and it picks up the hub as well as the xbox.
i do not understand why the xbox will not pick up the laptop.
i have tried to change the lan network from public to private, i have ensured that medai sharing is on in wmp11, i have even changed the firewall settings by putting it completely off, but still the xbox will not pick up, yet if i reconnect my old laptop, then automatically the xbox Ip will change accordingly to the old laptop and the xbox passes the IP test.
please can i have a list of possibilities that might prevent the xbox from picking up the ip address?

also, i have downloaded the latest system update as discussed above, can you tell me if it will allow me to play AVI files via a dvd disk, as currently it does not, and when i put in some dvd's it says mixed media disk, i do not have an internet connection at home, only at work on my workstation. so i cannot connect to xbox live unfortunately.

Deen

Matt Whitlock
Hi Deen,

Hi Deen,

I don't recommend posting your e-mail address in your text. This is a forum; forums provides a method of communication without having to share private information. Plus, our discussion may also help benefit others in the future who may experience something similar.

You've got a lot going there, so let's tackle this in sections. I'm trying to make heads and tails of a few things in your post, but from what I gather, you're plugging the laptop directly into the 360 using an Ethernet cord? Is that correct?

Nytwolf
thanks, Matt, is there any

thanks, Matt, is there any way i can remove my email address from the post?
yes, you are coorect in stating that i am plugging the ethernet cable directly to my laptop, the laptop both have internal hubs

Matt Whitlock
You should see a gray button

You should see a gray button labeled "EDIT" above your post. Click that, and you can modify your text.

I've successfully used Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to get a 360 online for updates, but I've never tried it for streaming media between the two. I have no clue if it will work, but I'll give you some steps to try below.

Before I do that, though, I will say the easiest thing to do would be to go out and purchase a home network router. It can be an older, used one from a garage sale, or just the cheapest thing on the shelf. You just need something to handle DHCP and routing for multiple network devices. It should also have basic wireless capability so you can connect your laptop without wires. It won't particularly matter if you don't have an internet connection; you can stream compatible file types without one.

If you want to try ICS, here's the steps to try using your Vista laptop (we can get to the XP one later):

Go here: http://www.home-network-help.com/ics-host.html And follow the steps for properly configuring ICS. Pay attention to the part about file and print sharing, make sure that box is checked.

Go to the control panel, then click Network and Sharing Center. Under sharing and discovery, make sure that Network discover, File Sharing, and Public folder sharing is on and allowing anyone with network access to at least read files). Also, enable password protected sharing and media sharing.

Connect your XBOX 360. It should get an IP from the laptop.

Next, move a few photos to a shared folder (there's one by default). I'm not sure if you're running the old 360 interface or the new one, but find the section for streaming media from local sources. Choose photos, and look for the shared folder you put the pictures in. If you can find it and view the pictures, then we've made progress.

I'll stop here for now.

Connect With Techlore