Ipod 5th g 80Gb

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
SDiaz
Ipod 5th g 80Gb

When turning my Ipod on running on its battery, the apple logo comes up and then a clicking sound and turns off by itself. This repeats like a loop when the Ipod is charging thru the usb on the computer. Is this a sign of a Hard Drive failure? I will greatly appreciate any help.

Peter Redmer
Unfortunately, this does

Unfortunately, this does point to a potential hard drive failure... the clicking you hear is a bad sign. It happened to my much beloved 20GB Rio Karma years back, so I'm familiar with the death knell.

That doesn't mean you're out of luck though, there's a chance it's corrupted firmware.

First, you could try a soft reset. You should be able to complete this by holding the Menu and Up buttons at the same time.

If that doesn't work, try a system restore through iTunes. You'll lose all the music on the iPod, but hopefully you have all of that backed up. This has been known to fix the funkiest of issues.

Let us know how it goes!

SDiaz
Peter,

Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message.

As you said, it was a soft reset issue.

On the same day I posted this request, I found the solution at an Apple's forum.

I had to press the Menu and Enter (center) buttons at the same time until the Apple logo displays. Also, at the same time, I pressed and held the Enter and Play buttons and it was fixed.

Thanks again.

Peter Redmer
You're welcome, that's what

You're welcome, that's what we're all about :)

Don't forget the system restore trick if you have any additional problems down the road. I'm glad it's fixed!

Connect With Techlore