WD-65831 Blinking Green LED of Death

1 post / 0 new
tg1000
WD-65831 Blinking Green LED of Death

Well, my WD-65831 became afflicted with the Blinking Green LED of Death this past weekend.  When the set is plugged in, the Timer light flashes green forever.  No response to power on and no other indications.

Neither a reset nor leaving the set unplugged for 24 hours cured it.

After reading of the many other sets that had this caused by bad capacitors, I pulled the chassis out and had a look.  The capacitors that have caused other models the problem appear to have been moved to the signal board in this model.  Checking them with an LC meter (in circuit) showed them to be around the correct value, so I doubt they're the problem with this set.  I noted that the caps used in this set were 105C 25V rated.

No visual indications of any problems.  No bulging caps, no leaking caps, no signs of magic smoke being let out.  This set has had the infamous phantom "blocked airflow" problem (fixed after much frustration).  It also popped its second projector bulb about 3 weeks ago (which I think is unrelated).

Any other common problems with the Blinking Green LED of Death and this model?

Are there any decent (read:discount) outlets for parts for these beasts?  Unless it's something easy to fix I'm guessing it'll be prohibitively expensive to repair this, but I've got to at least check.

Thanks,

Cliff

Connect With Techlore