No digital audio output from Sharp LCD fed from HDMI

1 post / 0 new
MrScott
No digital audio output from Sharp LCD fed from HDMI

The holidays brought some long needed upgrades to my home entertainment system. I'm generally quite happy, but there is one nagging setup problem.

A new Sharp LCD, LC-37SB24U, has been strapped to a new LG DVD player with an HDMI cable.

Audio from the DVD plays through the television speakers, but the audio won't play out through the TV's optical audio connect to a Sony Dolby decoder.

VCR or cable inputs to the television will play audio out through the digital optical cable to the Sony decode. Of course, those are only stereo signals, not surround sound.

If I swap the optical cable feed to the optical out of the DVD player, the Sony decoder gets the surround sound just fine.

For the time being, I've taken a fall back position of using composite audio (RCA jacks) from the TV to one of the Sony inputs, and the DVD optical cable to another Sony input. This lets me get the broadcast or VCR audio into the Sony through the TV, and the DVD audio on a different setting from the DVD player.

Any thoughts on getting the Sharp 37" TV to pass audio coming in from the HDMI to its optical output?

Connect With Techlore