How in the world do you pull out the IC convergence parts?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
MellissaRose
How in the world do you pull out the IC convergence parts?

After the screws have been removed...then what? My husband & I are trying to fix our Sony KP-46WT510 rear projection TV. We have the service manual and found the D board. Then we found the two IC convergence parts. We unstuck them and now need them out. How hard to you have to pull to take these out? Is there any other way to get them out so we can replace them? We have the parts to replace them and would really like to move this along.

And once they come out, how do we put the new IC convergence parts in there? 

Any ideas? 

Zia
Sony convergence problem has

Sony convergence problem has become universal. This is a manufacturing fault in all Sony projection TVs. But unfortunately SONY is not prepared to accept its manufacturing fault, although a number of effectees has written to Sony.

Off course, it is very hard to unsolder and desolder the 2 convergence ICs. A nominal negligence may harm the circuit board, which can never be repaired. Once a member of this forum gave his experienced opinion that he made holes over the solder joints of ICs with the help of very tiny drill machine. But this job also requires very narrow and cautious work over the circuit board. Anyhow this idea should be tried. I am also thinking to do this job because my Sony projection TV has 2nd time appeared this defect.

Alnp
MellissaRose said:

MellissaRose said:
After the screws have been removed...then what? My husband & I are trying to fix our Sony KP-46WT510 rear projection TV. We have the service manual and found the D board. Then we found the two IC convergence parts. We unstuck them and now need them out. How hard to you have to pull to take these out? Is there any other way to get them out so we can replace them? We have the parts to replace them and would really like to move this along.
Any ideas? 

Take your D board, and your replacement parts, to someone with soldering equipment.

MellissaRose
Thanks! I have posted on

Thanks! I have posted on Craigslist asking for someone who knows how to solder to email me a quote. Hopefully this will work out; if not we will probably trash the TV. I was given the quote (at TV shops & Circuit City) between $250-$500 to fix the IC convergence. I'm not willing to pay that much since the TV is 4 years old.

Zia
Rose, give your address to

Rose, give your address to check the possibility for a technician to visit your home.

MellissaRose
Hi! My work address is:

Hi! My work address is:

20 N. 12th Street
Lemoyne, PA 17043

This is currently where the TV is pulled apart. It is just across the river from Harrisburg, PA.

mauelcm
I've seen quotes anywhere

I've seen quotes anywhere from $70 to $150 just for the soldering. OEM convergence IC's run $15-$30 a piece. I've in the same situation now though I have soldering experience. However, the IC pins are very close together and I'm not sure how to de-solder all the pins to pull the IC out.

MellissaRose
We live & work at an

We live & work at an independent retirement community and our maintenance man does have soldering tools. He is going to take a look at it for us. The pins ARE close together.

We bought the ICs on ebay for $8.00 a piece plus $5.00 priority shipping, so they didn't cost us much. $21.00 for both. I'm hoping he can do it. If not, we cannot pay $150 to fix this.

Alnp
Use the search box at the top

Use the search box at the top of this page and search forums for Sony KP-46WT510.

There are a couple of pico fuses on the g board that could be bad, if the convergence ic's alone do not fix it. See this Techlore blog and the section on pico fuses:

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony...

You will also need some heat sink compound for behind the stk's.

Zia
Sony convergence problem has

Sony convergence problem has become universal. This is a manufacturing fault in all Sony projection TVs. But unfortunately SONY is not prepared to accept its manufacturing fault, although a number of effectees has written to Sony.

Off course, it is very hard to unsolder and desolder the 2 convergence ICs. A nominal negligence may harm the circuit board, which can never be repaired. Once a member of this forum gave his experienced opinion that he made holes over the solder joints of ICs with the help of very tiny drill machine. But this job also requires very narrow and cautious work over the circuit board. Anyhow this idea should be tried. I am also thinking to do this job because my Sony projection TV has 2nd time appeared this defect.

Alnp
MellissaRose said:

MellissaRose said:
Any ideas? 

Take your D board, and your replacement parts, to someone with soldering equipment.

MellissaRose
Thanks! I have posted on

Thanks! I have posted on Craigslist asking for someone who knows how to solder to email me a quote. Hopefully this will work out; if not we will probably trash the TV. I was given the quote (at TV shops & Circuit City) between $250-$500 to fix the IC convergence. I'm not willing to pay that much since the TV is 4 years old.

Zia
Rose, give your address to

Rose, give your address to check the possibility for a technician to visit your home.

MellissaRose
Hi! My work address is:

Hi! My work address is:

20 N. 12th Street
Lemoyne, PA 17043

This is currently where the TV is pulled apart. It is just across the river from Harrisburg, PA.

mauelcm
I've seen quotes anywhere

I've seen quotes anywhere from $70 to $150 just for the soldering. OEM convergence IC's run $15-$30 a piece. I've in the same situation now though I have soldering experience. However, the IC pins are very close together and I'm not sure how to de-solder all the pins to pull the IC out.

MellissaRose
We live & work at an

We live & work at an independent retirement community and our maintenance man does have soldering tools. He is going to take a look at it for us. The pins ARE close together.

We bought the ICs on ebay for $8.00 a piece plus $5.00 priority shipping, so they didn't cost us much. $21.00 for both. I'm hoping he can do it. If not, we cannot pay $150 to fix this.

Alnp
Use the search box at the top

Use the search box at the top of this page and search forums for Sony KP-46WT510.

There are a couple of pico fuses on the g board that could be bad, if the convergence ic's alone do not fix it. See this Techlore blog and the section on pico fuses:

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony...

You will also need some heat sink compound for behind the stk's.

Connect With Techlore