46GW948 Convergence + Hourglass + New IC + Fixed Joints = No Change :(

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
PaiinKiilla
46GW948 Convergence + Hourglass + New IC + Fixed Joints = No Change :(

Hello everyone,

I have myself a 46GW948 that has had convergence issues for some time now, but I have never had the money to buy the replacement convergence IC until now.  After professionally fixing a dry solder joint and replacing the IC, I found absolutely NO difference in picture.  One odd thing:

-The Convergence IC does not get the even the slightest bit warmer, nor does the small heatsink

This leads me, with my unprofessional observation, to believe that the board itself is not distributing the power to the IC for some reason (being that the power cable connecting to it has power).  I read something about the resistors having an effect on it, but I need a manual in order to truly check what is good and what is bad.  Some other information: All joints and paths seem good and not obstructed on the board = why is it not working? How can I check where the power is stopping? What can I do to fix this mess?

Thank you for your time,
    Cody T.

PaiinKiilla
Lol. . . Wow, I feel dumb. .

Lol. . . Wow, I feel dumb. . . The service manual is on this website ;P

PaiinKiilla
Okay, some more updates:

Okay, some more updates:

-Unplugged the J19106, which is the cable that connects the convergence power supply board to the actual convergence board and there is ABSOLUTELY no difference in picture (possible discontinuity in the power supply board?)

-Started testing resistors on the power supply board and while doing so, noticed a distinct clicking noise coming from the main board, somewhere

Just wondering, how does the convergence board actually get power? It has a two pin power supply line running into it, then why does it need a power supply? Does the two pin line only supply part of the board? Anyways, it is time to check what is getting power on the convergence board and check the continuity of the power supply board.

Connect With Techlore