advent ht2751a pincushion circuit

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
repairdude
advent ht2751a pincushion circuit

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered there pincushion circuit problem

I am about to get inside to do some testing but would like to know if anyone has any tip on this problem with the advent 27 in , or has repaired this circuit on this tv and could let me know what they found

thanks

Joyce
Hey, Repair Dude, did anyone

Hey, Repair Dude, did anyone ever answer your question of the side pincushion circuit?

I'm thinking I should replace the circuit. I'm disappointed that there is no control function for picture size, shape, position, as is typical on most tube displays. When the side pincushion went blooey, I figured I'd just pull up the menu and tweak it, but nooooooooo. It's an $80 to $90 fix if I have someone else do it.

Thanks.

mrgart04
when u say menu , do u mean

when u say menu , do u mean service menu or customer menu ?
anyway , no one has answered me , but i did some testing and I had to replace the big green mylar cap, electrolytic cap and the vertical deflection IC located right by the flyback.
there is a white pot adjustment at the front of the board that will adjust the pin circuit but will have curved picture sides on the picture if the circuit is bad enough and should be replaced

Joyce
repairdude said: when u say

repairdude said: when u say menu , do u mean service menu or customer menu ? anyway , no one has answered me , but i did some testing and I had to replace the big green mylar cap, electrolytic cap and the vertical deflection IC located right by the flyback. there is a white pot adjustment at the front of the board that will adjust the pin circuit but will have curved picture sides on the picture if the circuit is bad enough and should be replaced

The menu I mentioned was the on-screen menu that most CRTs have for degaussing, vertical position, horizontal position, pincushion, etc. The Advent does allow for tint, degaussing, etc., but a single positioning function is provided. Ordinarily, a person should be able to make minor adjustments as needed. Currently, the pincushion has the screen indented by about an inch on each side of the screen, and a white pot adjustment might just be enough at this point. But it is sad that such an adjustment requires disassembly of the housing. It bothers me that they've made this so inaccessible. I guess they've done with consumer electronics what they've done with cars -- force consumers to seek professional repair services.

I've been having another problem with my Advent TV, too. When I had it connected to a home theater DVD and 5.1 sound amplifier, I muted the volume on the TV, but the speakers would buzz horribly, especially when there was a lot of white on the screen. Depending upon the brightness or darkness of the screen, the unused speakers would buzz more loudly or less loudly. It was very annoying, so much in fact, that along with the hour-glass looking picture, the buzz just made me stop watching TV.

The reason I want to fix the pincushion now is so I can get rid of the TV without recycling it. I didn't want to just give it away, because it is still a good piece of equipment, but I don't want to put $80 to $90 into repairing it only to give it away. With the popularity of flat-screen TVs today, I doubt that the Advent would fetch much in a yard sale, probably not as much as the cost of the repair, though it is well worth that cost.

Well, I guess I'll have to wrestle with that big old hunk and see if I can tweak the pincushion pot enough to matter. Thanks for your input.

Connect With Techlore