Combining video files

1 post / 0 new
Boney
Combining video files

First of all, I want to thank Brandon C. for the great article on combining mpeg files using the DOS copy command.  This is a follow up question to that, and perhaps the general community here can offer me some assistance.

I used the copy command and successfully combined two video files. But after doing so, I noticed the following:

When playing the file in WMP (or any other media player, apparently), the displayed time duration is wrong. In my case the two videos I combined were 20 minutes long (file one), and 40 minutes long (file two), that I joined together into one 60 minute file. Now when I play that video, WMP displays the total length of the video to be 40 minutes, not 60 minutes. When the counter reaches the 40 minute mark, the video continues playing through to the end but the counter remains frozen at 40 minutes.

Also, I noticed that when I add the file to a Nero project, it doesn't show one 60 minute clip in the timeline, but the two separate files the way they were originally.

What these two things seems to indicate is that the files aren't truly combined - they're simply displayed together under a single filename. This may be nitpicking, but what I would really like to do is see these two files truly joined together as one.  Is there a method, free or otherwise, to do this?

Thanks.

Connect With Techlore