Changed flyback and HOT on 32 RCA now I get a snapping noise

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
oslerspark
Changed flyback and HOT on 32 RCA now I get a snapping noise

Changed flyback and HOT. tried it and it worked. I have had it on for about 2 hours and I just heard a distinctive snap.....3 times and then I unplugged the TV. It was like a high voltage to ground snap sound.

What now? I was jacked up thinking i had fixed it.....now just Bummed as i know I will have to open it up again. I am assming it is the flyback again. When I put the new one in I spliced the 3 wires from the flyback to the TV with solder, high voltage putty over the solder joint and then electrical tape over the putty. One wrap of tape, overlaping by half. Should tht be sufficient?

ANY help is appreciated.

Brad

Dwray
CUT and Spliced ?? you don

CUT and Spliced ?? you don't splice those wires you have to remove the whole wire 2 from CRT borad on back of tube and remove the BOOT and BIG red Wire together from top of Tube you will have to get another flyback and replace the wires the correct way NO Splicing .

Dwray
But First discharge the CRT

But First discharge the CRT use a small screwdriver and a jumper wire hook one end jumper wire to the metal shaft of screwdriver and other end to the metal mounting tab of CRT and push tip of screwdriver under the Rubber boot until it hits the wire you should hear a snap leave it there for about 1 min or just let it set  for about 3-4 days & it will slowly dischagrce itself then you can remove the boot and wire as pictured above

oslerspark
I figured that splicing was

I figured that splicing was wrong, but could not find the proper steps. Thanks for the help this time around.
Those pictures are great. Before I spliced I was checking the connections to the CRT and could not figure out how to get them out/off the board. Do they solder in and then pull out? Any pictures of that area?

I really do appreciate the help you have posted.

Brad

oslerspark
The one lead from the flyback

The one lead from the flyback goes to a factory splice that has 2 outs to the CRT board. What do I do with that? I have taken the back off and seperated(had them all tyrapped together, so I just moved them away from each other to try it out again. I thought maybe the splices were leaking/shorting to each other possibly.)the wires and am going to try it out again. The TV is still working fine so if it starts snapping again I am hoping to see where it is arcing.

Also if I end up changing the wiring to the tube how does that boot go back onto the tube? does it need some type of adhesive?

I did not cut the wires on my new flyback so they can reach where they need to go. So I don't believe I need a new flyback..... yet.

It has been an hour so far will keep an eye ear on it.

Two hours.................

Dwray
the 2 smaller wires going to

the 2 smaller wires going to the CRT socket you should be ok BUT that BIG Red Wire needs to be installed correctly its has about 32KV (32,000 Volts) the boot just hooks back in the metal socket on tube put one end of the metal hook wire in socket and use a screwdriver to push the other wire in socket yes use some RTV Silicone Sealant around the inside of the boot so it seal Air tight to the Tube

oslerspark
Thanks. I will do that

Thanks. I will do that correctly. It has been flawless for 4 hours. I knew it was a high voltage leak. And Now the wire seperation seems to be proving that. I will do that one properly and I should be good.

I obviously could not have done this without this website and its experienced members. I hope to learn and do a bit more of this. i am found it gratifying to repair this TV and quite happy as to save a lot of money on its repair. Some shops are around $100 an hour. I bought a new soldering kit,solder,solder sucker,etc. and the parts for $68 shipping included. I am an electrician by day and a grease monkey in my garage by night, so this is a new area/challenge for me.

Thanks Dwray for getting me through this first one.

Brad

Dwray
Your Welcome Just make sure

Your Welcome Just make sure you discharge any CRT tube that your going to remove that HV boot from the CRT Because it can really ZAP you good if you don't !

oslerspark
Yes, for sure. I understood

Yes, for sure. I understood that from the get go, just did not know where the hazard was or how to discharge it. I originally just let the TV sit for a week unplugged(was waiting for parts anyways). But your little shorting trick is something I will utilize from now on. I could tell that was a high voltage arc/short. I have had my fun with electric fences.....they have that same "snap" sound.

Brad

Connect With Techlore