Acoustik Audio LT980/2 Amp cut out

1 post / 0 new
ItalianWolfe
Acoustik Audio LT980/2 Amp cut out

I've been going crazy for about a week now trying to figure out the sudden problem to my 16 month old car audio system. My head unit is a Sony Xplod, that is just wired directly into the stock speakers. All I did was add a little bass with a Diesel Audio SRS Pre-Amp, an Acoustik Power LT980/2 amp, and a pair of 10" JBL GT1041D subs. Basically, it's always worked great except for the pre-amp I had to exchange due to a bad knob. Then suddenly one day my bass speakers cut out when playing a deep bass song at loud volume. Turn the unit off for about 5 minutes, and they're back on. As long as I'm dealing with bass at low volume, or only a little bass at high volume, it works no problem. Speakers don't pop or crackle, cone seems fine. Amp doesn't get hot. Voltage from the battery 12.5 volts constant with 12 volts from the remote. It's the 'ok sometimes part' that's throwing me for a loop. Monster 12 guage to the subs. 10 guage fused to the battery. Changing out an average sized ground tomorrow, to a short 10 guage as well. No problem of any kind with the stock speakers wired directly to the head unit. Have noticed that the wire spring that runs under the seat for adjustment makes contact with the amp housing at points. That wire also connects to the seat belt indicator. Could this be the problem? I took it in for an Acoustik Power Tech to look at, which quickly became a sales pitch. I didn't bother to tell him that the lack of readings he was getting from the amp probably had something to do with the fact that he had the metter set to read AC voltage, and was measuring a DC circuit. But then again, what do I know? Can anyone give me some suggestions, or tell me how to best go about finding some guidance on the issue?

Connect With Techlore