Sony Rear projection Model:KP-51WS520 2 blinks

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
maldf4
Sony Rear projection Model:KP-51WS520 2 blinks

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with my television (KP-51WS520). I am getting 2 blink pause for 3 seconds and repeat. I have found the service manual online and have been going through the circuit testing componets as suggested suggest around the D board. From what I gather Q5001 and Q5201 are shorted. Does anyone have suggestions or experianced this specific problem on how to resolve this issue. I have some electronic background so I am giving repairing the TV a shot. Its that or put it out on the curb. I figured make it a learning experiance.

The TV turns on for a few seconds with picture and sound then turns bright blue then goes to standby. 2 blinks 3 second pause 2 blinks it does this continuous.

H.OUT (Q5001) is shorted. (D Board)

+B PWM (Q5201) is shorted. on the D board

(D Board)

Dwray
IF TV Powers UP and gets a

IF TV Powers UP and gets a Blue Screen Then Q5001 & Q5201 are not SHORTED ! when Q5001 HOT is Shorted TV will NOT Power Up NO HV ! Are you sure its 2 blinks ? Almost sounds Like you have a Shorting BLUE Projection Tube

maldf4
Positive for the continuous 2

Positive for the continuous 2 blinks. I can hear the high voltage and like I said I get video and sound for a a few seconds then the blue screen then to standby. Is there anything I can do to test for a shorting projection tube?

Dwray
unplug the BLUE Crt Board

unplug the BLUE Crt Board from the Blue tube Then if tv stays on the tube is your problem

maldf4
Dwray said: unplug the BLUE

Dwray said: unplug the BLUE Crt Board from the Blue tube Then if tv stays on the tube is your problem

Ok I disconnected one of the connections from the CB board and the tv stayed on.  After this I reconnected that board and tried the CG and CR individually as well. Each time the  set stayed on displayed video and sound.  Each time after this I got 5 blinks from the standby light. I read in the service manual that : Video OUT (IC9101, IC9201, IC9301) is faulty. (CR, CG, CB Board):CRT drive (IC452) is faulty. (A Board):G2 is improperly adjusted.** 

So I tried the easiest of the 3 adjusting the G2 pots for RGB screen and focus. I only adjusted the blue and red slightly and now the set is working with a good picture but with a vertical line down the center of the screen. If I adjust either to high the video will fail and the high voltage will be shut down. All cables have been reconnected and I no longer have standby blink codes flashing.  I assume a component is bad on one or all these boards?

BTW I appreciate your response's. It open my eyes to look for other places besides where I was looking. Thanks!!

maldf4
Bumping. I would like to see

Bumping. I would like to see if I can get further feed back on my new exist issue. vertical line in the middle of the screen.

Larry Dillon
if you have a bright

if you have a bright vertical line going across the set from right to left. kiss your picture tubes goodbye!You will have a line on the screen after you do fix the vertical problem.

maldf4
Larry Dillon said: if you

Larry Dillon said: if you have a bright vertical line going across the set from right to left. kiss your picture tubes goodbye!You will have a line on the screen after you do fix the vertical problem.

The line goes from top to bottom straight down the center of the screen.

Larry Dillon
still yet, with the set off,

still yet, with the set off, look into the lens of the picture tubes and see with a flashlight if there are thin dark lines on the surface of the picture tubes. If there are, the tubes will need to be replaced as they are burn lines on the picture tubes. that means there is a problem with the video cutoff circuit. it is a protection circuit in the set that does not allow video when there is no horizontal or vertical sweep.

maldf4
Ok I will check for that when

Ok I will check for that when I get home today. Thank you for your reply.

Connect With Techlore