Should I switch to satellite?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matt Whitlock
Should I switch to satellite?

Hey gang,

So I've been a cable customer for... well... ever really. And I'm starting to get annoyed with three things:

1. Comcast's recent anti-consumer business decisions about broadband internet access

2. The 'lack' of really expanding their high definition offerings (hence the poll)

3. The OEM HD-DVR pay 12 bucks a month for is kind of... crappy.

So I've recently been wooed by the advertising I've been seeing from DirecTV and Dish Network... and I'm leaning toward DirecTV. It seems like you get a lot more for your money, but I'm hesitant to switch.

Tell me, what do I need to know? What do you think are the ups and downs of satellite? Should I switch? If I do, which way do I go and what hardware should I get?

I've got 4 TVs I need to run, btw, but could sacrifice 1 of them if need be.

Guest (not verified)
I used to have DirecTv and

I used to have DirecTv and loved it. Then along came TiVo and I used it with it and it too worked great. But when the TiVo S-3's came out without satellite capabilities I switched to cable.

Now I have too much invested in HD S-3 TiVo's to switch. But I am waiting for Cox Cable to integrate TiVo into their own boxes. Late 2008 or early 2009 is what I am hearing. Once done, I plan to check it out. If its not as expected or DirecTV has a Tivo like interface then I might switch back to them.

Bottom line for us, is if it doesn't use a TiVo like menu system and interface, we are out. ;)

dkaz
Brandon C. said:

Brandon C. said:

Bottom line for us, is if it doesn't use a TiVo like menu system and interface, we are out. ;) 

I switched away from TiVo boxes in 2 of my rooms (DirectTV box was a better deal), and have not missed the TiVo menus a whole lot.

The only thing I miss is some of the terminology - I miss my "season tickets" 

Guest (not verified)
dkaz said:I switched away

dkaz said:I switched away from TiVo boxes in 2 of my rooms (DirectTV box was a better deal), and have not missed the TiVo menus a whole lot.
The only thing I miss is some of the terminology - I miss my "season tickets" 

So you are running both cable and DirecTV? 

Maybe I need to to a test drive of the latest DirecTV and see if it wil work. 

Thanks for the heads up.

rike
Is Verizon FIOS available in

Is Verizon FIOS available in your area? I switch to FIOS from ComCrap when it became available in my area and I will never go back. For what I paid ComCrap for 2 Premiums channels, HD and Internet, I get every channel FIOS offers and 20/20 speeds for Internet.

TSalt
I have HD DirecTV and couldn

I have HD DirecTV and couldn't be happier! been a customer for around 8yrs. Onlt problem, and really isn't much of one, is when a updated receiver is needed, they SEEM to want to charge for it, Or, try and have me resign into a contract. SO FAR, things have worked in my favor. BEING I am a long time customer....

Don't know about any internet service they offer, but I do know, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM HUGHESNET SATILITE INTERNET.

Connect With Techlore