Mitsubishi WD-62525 Blue Screen

59 posts / 0 new
Last post
abhansali
My problem is a little

My problem is a little different, I hope Larry or someone else can help.  I have a 62628 tv connected to a DVR box on HDMI 1.  Occasionally when I change channels, I get a blue screen.  If I change to a different channel type (i.e. HD to non-HD or non-HD to HD), the picture comes back and then I can go back to the channel showing that was showing the blue screen and it works fine.  This is random, but happening more frequently.   Also, at the same time this has started happening, I have noticed that non-HD channels that I would watch in standard mode (i.e. the display is 4:3 with bars on both sides), are now displaying stretched all the time.  I can not show these channels with the bars any longer.  Occasionally I will turn on the set and the channel displayed will show 4:3 with bars, but if I switch channels, it automatically goes back to a stretched display.

It is not a DVR box issue, because I just connect the DVR to another 36" visio that I have and it shows absolutely fine.  Also, if I use component output of the DVR to the TV it also work fine.   

I have a feeling some component has died (or is dying) and this problem will just become worse.  Anybody know what this problem could be and is it easily fixable?

lostman72
Larry Dillon said:

Larry Dillon said:
Sounds like you have a bad formatter or the FMT board. If you leave an e-mail address, I will send you some pictures as well as the service manual for this TV set so you can check several capaciors that do go bad very often in this set.

Larry can you send me the same info also please.

Thank You

[email protected]

abhansali
Larry,

Larry,

Please send it to me at [email protected]. BTW, I have a WD-62628, not a 62525. I think it is a similar model.

Apurva

abhansali
Larry,

Larry,

Can you just post a reply when you have emailed me? I have not got anything yet, want to make sure you did not have any problems sending the email.

Apurva

Derrick Perkins
Derrick Perkins said: Hi, I

Derrick Perkins said: Hi, I am having a similar issue (I think) with the blue screen wtih my Wd-62525. What is happening is that the TV will turn on and stay on with a blue screen. I can navigate through the menus just fine, switch inputs all day long, but the blue screen stays on no matter what signal or input I use on the TV. I see that others have problems with flashing green lights, but I do not have that so I am thinking perhaps my problems are a little easier and located in maybe just one board. Any idea of what board this is or the capacitors that need to be replaced? Also, since this seems to be a problem with this TV - has anyone had any luck getting Mitsubishi to repair this at their cost when it is out of warranty? Thanks for any advice you can provide, Derrick

Thanks everyone for posting here and for your advice.  Had this of been my TV and not my Mom's I probably would have taken on the repair.

Instead I called Mitsubishi Customer Service and complained.  This forum, along with several other websites, showed that this was an obvious design flaw with the TV.  So when I told her about what was going on, how it was a flaw with the TV, and then asked if this was a common issue she said "We have had a remarkable number of 25 series TV with power issues".  She then said to get an estimate from one of their authorized repair people and send that in along with a description of what is happening and the original receipt.

So I got an estimate - ~$650 bucks with parts and labor.  The company I worked with in Atlanta was excellent - MasterTech repairs - and they knew this problem and were familiar with it.  They said that the only way to fix this appropriately was send the chassis to Mitsubishi and have them replace all of the capacitors.

So I sent the estimate in, and they initially agreed to pay for just parts.  We tried arguing politely, and they politely said that all they can do was parts.  We went back and forth for a little bit - but in the end I felt this was generous since the TV is over 5 years old.

TV is back, and now after about $300 in labor (and some of that is shipping for the chassis) we're all set.  Since we have new capacitors hopefully this won't happen again.   Here's to another 5 years. 

If you don't want to go down the path of taking the TV apart yourself, give Mitsubishi a call.  The only risk you have is that you pay for an estimate (all the companies charged just to show up and credit it to a repair) and Mitsubishi says no.

jwalls
hey,

hey,

i just bought a wd62525 from a buddy. the bulb was blown so i changed that it worked great for about 7 mins then the whole screen turned blue with no sound and stayed that way for about 30 seconds then the whole set shut off. any advice or info u can give me would be greatly appreciated. email... [email protected]

Brandon321
Hi Larry, My bulb needed to

Hi Larry, My bulb needed to be replaced as indicated by my lamp light and I was putting it off. When I turned it on today the whole screen was blue and I could still hear sounds. Is it possible that changing the bulb would solve my problem or is a blue screen a sign of bigger problems? Thanks
Model # WD-62525

spudgun5
Have a Mitsubishi WS-65513.

Have a Mitsubishi WS-65513. Screen started to go to horizontal lines, I would shut off and restart and would work fine, now it goes to blue screen and with no sounds, have unplugged and left over night but no help.

Does this sound like the capacitor issue you have described several times or ?

Can you send me the afore mentioned repair info.?

Th

spudgun5
Larry,

Larry,

Have a Mitsubishi 65513. Started going to horizontal lines, I would shut off and it would come back fine, now it goes to a blue screen and no sound. Have unplugged overnight but no help.

Does this sound like the capasitor issue you have described or ?

Can you send me the afore mentioned repair info>

Thanks, Mark

Dennis Foote
I have a display problem with

I have a display problem with my model Mitsubishi WS 65613 TV. The screen will go to a solid blue screen after 20 ~ 30 minutes of being on. I can power it off for a few minutes and when powered back on, the picture is OK again. Then 20~30 minutes later the same blue screen comes on again. Any suggestions

Gary Y
I had replaced some

I had replaced some capacitors with bad ESR in my WD 52525. It now has a very strange failure:

I can watch TV and cable TV all day long without any problem. But if I switch to any of the Component or Video inputs, it could only work for several minutes. Then the picture starts to get sluggish and a few seconds later the screen turns blue and the unit shutdown with flashing greem Timer LED. After about a minute of flashing, the TV is back to standby mode and I can turn it on again. The shutdown seems to be temperature triggered because it would take shorter duration to trigger it next time. I pressed the Menu and Device buttons but it did not give any error code (code 12 normal).

The shutdown should not be from the light engine since I can watch TV all day long. Perhaps some of the video processing chip has thermal shutdown protection?
Could it be the one with large heat sink (on the DM board)?

The fan controller for the metal cage sits on top of the signal board metal enclosing. Without opening the unit, I measured the temperature near the fan controller during shutdown and it was just about 25 - 27 degree C, definitely not hot. Is this temperature supposed to turn on the fan on top of the DM board? Maybe a bad fan controller sensor? I was thinknig of bypassing the fan controller and let it always run.

Anyone has similar experience? Any tips?

cerwin3302
Larry,

Larry,

Im having the same "blue ball with fuzz edges" issue that you diagnosed as a capacitor issue. COuld you send the capacitor diagrams to me?

[email protected]

Thanks

Kia
Hi, I have a Mitsubhisi

Hi, I have a Mitsubhisi projection TV .. I have blue color coming up along with the video display is there any way this could be rectified

jayP
Another WD62525 that won't

Another WD62525 that won't power on, Timer LED is blinking for hours. I would have no problem replacing caps, but need help figuring out board locations, and especially how to get any boards out. I've taken out all the screws on the shields and metal boxes from the rear, but cannot get anything to open or even move. How do I open the metal to get the boards out?

Never mind.  Found link to manual at:
http://www.techlore.com/downloads/file/7714/Mitsubishi_WD52525,_62525,_52725,_62725,_52825,_62825.pdf

thatguyflint
Hello, everybody (and

Hello, everybody (and especially Larry!)..

I have replaced my capacitors, but am having trouble with a couple of connectors, that I can't figure out. Most of the connectors are labeled (at least ONE thing Mitsubishi did right!), but one in particular I am having trouble with. It is a red wire coming from the power board. The end connected to the board is labeled "PB", but I don't remember where the other end goes. Also, which is the chassis fan, and which is the fan on the rear plate:FN1, FN2 or FND? The other one I am having difficulty with, is the same type connector as the FN1 FN2 FND, with red yellow and black wire. It is toward the right (as you look from the back of the TV) and only has a green dot on it. To recap, is the chassis fan FN1, FN2 or FND. Is the fan on the plate that goes over the chassis when it is in the TV FN1, FN2 or FND? and the connector to the right with the green dot:is that FN1 FN2 or FND? I have tried to uplooad pictures, but am having trouble with that, too! I keep getting an "error during upload" message. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

littlefish
Hi Larry -

Hi Larry -

I have a WD-62525 with the same blinking light problem. I'm planning on trying out your suggestions this weekend. So I'd appreciate your help or the instructions on how to do it. Thanks!!

Please email it to me at [email protected]

Thanks again!

Pammer00
I have a 52525 and I have

I have a 52525 and I have that problem also, blue screen with big white blob in center and no sound. can you help me please?? [email protected]

MATTHEW LONG
YES I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO

YES I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO SENDMEA SERVICE MANNEL AND A LIST OF CAPS THAT MAY GO OUT IN THE MITSUBSHI MODEL WD 52525 UNIT. I'AM HAVING ISSUESIN THA AREA FO HOR LINES IN THE SCREEN AND NO DVD,CABLE,GAMING PORTS INPUT,VCR, VIDEO AT ALL.I HAVE CHANGED THE LAMP AND NO OTHER REPORT OF BASIC INFRO. ON THIS MATTER PLEASE DIAGNOSTIS.AND LINES IN THE CENTER OF THE SCREEN AS WELL

HARDCORE ELECTRONICS
MILWAUKEE

Larry Dillon
it sounds like byou have a

it sounds like byou have a bad light engine?? not an easy feat!!!
Larry Dillon

abhansali
Larry,

Larry,
I posted this a while back in August '09, but did not get an answer. Could you please give me your thoughts?

My problem is a little different, I hope Larry or someone else can help. I have a 62628 tv connected to a DVR box on HDMI 1. Occasionally when I change channels, I get a blue screen. If I change to a different channel type (i.e. HD to non-HD or non-HD to HD), the picture comes back and then I can go back to the channel showing that was showing the blue screen and it works fine. This is random, but happening more frequently. Also, at the same time this has started happening, I have noticed that non-HD channels that I would watch in standard mode (i.e. the display is 4:3 with bars on both sides), are now displaying stretched all the time. I can not show these channels with the bars any longer. Occasionally I will turn on the set and the channel displayed will show 4:3 with bars, but if I switch channels, it automatically goes back to a stretched display.

It is not a DVR box issue, because I just connect the DVR to another 36" visio that I have and it shows absolutely fine. Also, if I use component output of the DVR to the TV it also work fine.

I have a feeling some component has died (or is dying) and this problem will just become worse. Anybody know what this problem could be and is it easily fixable?

My email is [email protected].

Thanks,
Apurva

dandman
i have a mitsubishi wd-62525

i have a mitsubishi wd-62525 with a timer blinking light . any suggestions on how to get the tv to come. I have tried several things but nothing has worked as per the instruction manuual.Someone told me it could be the dm board is it possible .
please help

Rob from Vegas
Hello,

Hello,

I am having an issue with my wd-52525. We turned it on last night and the screen went blue and some times has a wavey picture. Sound is still working but no matter what input the background stays blue. We had an issue with this TV last year and it went completely out. It was under warranty with Fry's and they had a local repair show fix it. They said they replaced the entire electronics Chassis. I think it is out of warranty now. I am a computer engineer so I would like to try my hand at fixing it. Can anyone send me a parts list and a repair manual. Also, any information on locating the parts or tips would be great. Thanks.
Rob

Rob from Vegas
I had posted earlier about my

I had posted earlier about my wd-52525 having a blue screen. Well now it has no picture and a red light but the sound is working. Please help...

abhansali
Rob,

Rob,
If you get someone to email you the info, please send it to me also. I have similar issues going on, and my TV was also from Fry's and is out of warranty.
[email protected]

Alagator
Larry,

Larry,

It appears you are the Shell Answer Man for all these questions. I am dealing with the no inputs being recognized issue. I can get the DEMO to play, can see all of the menus, etc., but no video is seen from any source, just the blue screen you get when the video source isn't present.
Can you point me to what I need to trobuleshoot first? Any and all info would be a great help.
If anyone else has answers I'll take them too!
If you want to email me, reach me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Alagator
For what it is worth while

For what it is worth while assessing whether to begin repairs myself or give up, etc. I contacted Mitsubishi via the email address on the manual concerning my problems with my WD-52525 set. Set is 4-5 years old.

I received a reply within the same day (text copied below) telling me to contact a representative. I did that and the lady I spoke to (listen to the menu options and hit the number for customer service. It will take you to someone in customer relations) was very helpful. I explained to her the problem I was having and was aware that these problems were prevalent on the sets according to alot of web searches, etc. and that Mitsubishi was aware of it. I DIDNT get pushy or arrogant and spoke to her in a very nice manner and just expressed my disappointment and said people (me included) couldn't afford to go out and spend $3000 after just a few years. She was extremely nice and said they had set up a way to deal with the issues on these sets and that it sounded like mine had definitely failed.

She said I have to have an authorized repair center assess problems and provide that along with my name, number etc. and then they will determine if the issue if repairable under the plan they have to help customers with these sets. She said it will only take them a day or so to get me an answer once I fax the information to them. Point being while the ARC is not local to me and it may be difficult for me to do as they requested and they may still tell me "NO" it may be worth others attempting to get in touch with Mitsubishi. You may be fortunate and have them repair the set.

Hope this will help anyone that gives it a try.

Thank you for contacting Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc.  We are pleased to be able to assist our customers via our website.Please call our expert representatives @ 800-332-2119 who will assist you with trouble-shooting. Our Operational Assistance Representatives are available:  Monday - Friday 9am-8pm Eastern Time.  Saturday 9am-5pm.  Sunday 1-5pm
Regards 

MDEA

Ge-off
Larry,

Larry,
good to hear this issue is a simple fix... my Mitsubishi fell victim to the blue dot/flicker flu this week. I found your easy to follow guide for cap replacement with pics and and placement ID's... going to order up the capacitors and fuses and give this a go... I'll keep everyone posted with how I make out! thanks Larry for all your helpful info and arming me with the necessary knowledge to tackle this... going into battle blind is never pretty...

many thanks!
Ge-off

WoR473
Man i hope this info is still

Man i hope this info is still avaliable, if so could you please send it to

jdsanchez473(at)cox.net

I would greatly appreciate it :)

Pages

Connect With Techlore