I need a free editing program for dvd and baby steps

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
ev fili
I need a free editing program for dvd and baby steps

My daughter  was on  tv  for  2 minutes  I have a  30 minuted

dvd of the  show  and want to take out the other  Kiss 28 minutes.

If anybody knows  how please give me  baby  steps

Also  I have a  few small  dvds rw  for a sony  camcorder .  they  are for  30 minuts.  can I put them in  the  pc and  use them like  a  regular  dvdrw  even if they are  small

thank you   so much

Ev

Matt Whitlock
I'm sure we could help you

I'm sure we could help you figure it out. The important thing to know first is what kind of computer you have. Is it Windows or Mac? What version of either (i.e. Windows XP, Windows Vista, OSX 10.4)?

Rotab
Hi I have a windows xp 2

Hi I have a windows xp 2
Sorry this writing is so small I dont know how tomake it bigger Ev

Matt Whitlock
For the most part, Windows

For the most part, Windows has a lot of the basic tools you'll need to trim down your video (called Windows Movie Maker), but what it doesn't give you is the software to rip the video from your DVD and convert it to a format Movie Maker can play with. Windows XP also lacks integrated DVD burning support, but you should hopefully have something installed that can do that since it's often pre-installed by PC manufacturers.

There are many ways to do this, but the majority of free tools out there aren't the easiest to work with for a beginner. I'd be happy to recommend some, but first it would be wise to check your computer for any pre-installed commercial software that may be easier to work with. Most importantly, if you have Nero 7/8 or Roxio Easy Media Creator 9/10 then you'll have many of the tools to do this.

If you don't see either on your PC, you'll need to download some software. I'd recommend downloading AutoGK, which has the tools needed to convert the DVD files into a compressed media file Windows can work with. You can find it here: http://www.autogk.me.uk/index.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

There's a somewhat okay tutorial after you get it installed. It may be worth a read through.

With me so far?

Rotab
Hiiiiiiiiiiiii Matt

Hiiiiiiiiiiiii Matt
thank you so much
I downloaded the first one on the page there were a few. I hope I downloaded the first one.

It is very hard for me to understand directions because I get stuck everytime I dont understand the pc language and I have add.
I was my teachers nightmare in school
Anyway so far I am with you and thank you again
Ev

Matt Whitlock
Okay if you're following me

Okay if you're following me so far it shouldn't be too bad. Let's continue and get your disc encoded.

Since your home video DVD should be unencrypted, you should be able to point the appropriate IFO file in VIDEO_TS folder on your disc while it's sitting in the optical drive. I just tested it out with a home movie I have and it seemed to work fine.

If you haven't installed the AutoGK software on your computer, you need to do that first. Make sure you install the XviD codec pak.

Step 1: Put the disc into your optical drive. Close any applications that may automatically open.

Step 2: On your desktop click on Start --> Programs --> arrow to "Auto GK" --> then launch AutoGK

Step 3: in the input file section, click on the little browse button. Navigate to your DVD drive and explore the disc. Click on the VIDEO_TS folder, and what you see inside will vary from disc to disc. What you're looking for will be a .IFO file. If you only see one, click it. If you see more than one, you may need to repeat this a few times till you find the right video source.

Step 4: Click the browse button on the Output file side. Navigate to a folder on your hard drive, then name your output file (ex: kid's TV appearance). Hit okay when you've named your file.

Step 5: Auto GK should automatically select the first audio track. If it does, you're golden.

Step 6: Go to the predefined size box and select "Target Quality" then put it to 100%.

Step 7: Hit the start button.

It will probably take some time (and on your first time you may need to hit okay a few times when other programs pop up to do their jobs), but if all goes well when you're done you should have a new digital file you can edit with your other video software.

Let's stop here for now, and see how we do before we continue.

Rotab
Hiiiiiiiiiii I installed the

Hiiiiiiiiiii I installed the auto g like you said I dont know what the Xvid codec pac is
I just down loaded the auto g like you said. Is there any thing I should do to know if I have it or get it.

Also I dont know what an optical drive is.
I am sorry I really am slow on the directions but thank you for your patience
Ev

Rotab
Hiiiiiiiii

Hiiiiiiiii
I found it in all programs lol
I had downloaded it also I didnt know
lol
I am happy I have it I was going to go into confused mode
ty ev

Matt Whitlock
The XviD codek pack is

The XviD codek pack is bundled with Auto GK. As long as you installed the program using the default installation options, it should all be set for you.

Optical drive is another word for DVD player/burner/writer when installed inside a computer. A DVD or CD is a form of optically read media, so the term optical drive is derived from that. What I meant above is that you should be able to read and encode your new file directly from the DVD disc when it's sitting in the DVD drive.

How's it going on the steps I listed above? Have you been able to get your new digital file using AutoGK yet?

Rotab
Hiiiiiiiii

Hiiiiiiiii
your instructions are really wonderful. I have put it in and it says video info mpeg2 720x480 ntsc 4.3 pgc1 length 7:1254:15

in audio track it says ???ac3 2ch
i made target quality 100
pressed start at 10:07 oclock and its not got a bunch of stuff in the log window... I am off line and it is now 12.17 oclock.
You said it should take some time so so far so good .
Do you know how long I am so happy its working ty ev

Rotab
hiiiiiiiiii

hiiiiiiiiii
its now 2.04 oclock and I was wondering did
I do something wrong or should it take so long
and can I do something else on the pc at the same time or not
ty ev

Matt Whitlock
It can take a good deal of

It can take a good deal of time depending on the hardware in your computer. One thing that I pointed out above but didn't stress is the first time you use the program you'll need to click yes to some of the prompts by the secondary programs that launch to do their job. If you don't respond to those programs the job will halt and wait for you to reply. Check the other things that launch and see if it's looking for a response from you.

Rotab
hiiiiiiiiiii Its now 7 00

hiiiiiiiiiii Its now 7 00 and I didnt get any prompts unless I walked away from the pc lol. Nothing has launched its now 9 hours
loooooool
Okey I am still here.
It looks like I am not going to sleep tonight.
I dont hear the machine doing anything
Please stay in touch
thankkkkkkkkkk you
ev

Matt Whitlock
Well, it certainly shouldn't

Well, it certainly shouldn't take 9 hours (for a half hour of video, maybe 2 hours at most). Have you checked the folder you set for your output file to see if the encoding process has finished? If so, you should have an AVI video file that you can click and watch with your default video player.

If you don't see an AVI file there, I'd say start the process over again. Worse comes to worse, I can put it in my schedule to write an article on this topic and post it to the site in the near future. That way it will have screenshots and full instructions.

Rotab
Hiiiiii

Hiiiiii
14 hours later I aborted it and the file folder had nothing in it except what it had at 10 07 when I started it a few sentences but the time never changed or did anything. I kept waiting
lol
Okey I will have to try again
thank you
Ev

Matt Whitlock
Sounds good. Keep me posted

Sounds good. Keep me posted on your progress. As with any new software, sometimes it takes a run-through or two to get the knack of it. :-)

Rotab
Hiiiiiiii I tried 3 times

Hiiiiiiii I tried 3 times and the Log window dosent move I just put it in again at 1 58 and the time dont move
thank you
I followed your directions
Ev

Rotab
I think I know what the

I think I know what the problem is
when you put in the dvd from the studio it doesnt start automatically you have to press here and there till it starts.
On other dvds when I put them in the pc they start right away.
So your directions are good if I had a normal dvd but this one just sits there/ Some how I was able to copy it to a dvd but not to the computer to edit it which is what i want to do.
Is there anything else you can think of that might work
thank you so much
ev

Matt Whitlock
Perhaps I was confused at the

Perhaps I was confused at the start. You're using a studio provided DVD, not one that was recorded in a home DVD recorder?

If that's the case, the DVD may be encrypted. There are ways around that, but divulging information about how to crack the copyguard on protected discs is kind of a no-no. I will say, it can be done. With a google search or two, you should be able to find a utility that can do this, and put the DVD contents to your hard drive. The steps above then will work just fine.

Rotab
Hi I tried it with the

Hi I tried it with the dvd from the studio and also the copy I made from the dvd From the studio. What happens is it just sits there until you look for the menu and then after it sits around thinking the tv show starts and you can go to a differnt chapter. I was able to make a dvd from the copy from the studio and it said unprotected when I put it in the gordons knot
If you think I should look up something in the google please give me a clue what to put in.
Thank youuuuuu ev

Matt Whitlock
Hmmm... if it says

Hmmm... if it says unencrypted, then you should be unencrypted.

How many different IFO files were there in the VIDEO_TS folder? Did you try all of them?

Rotab
Hiiiiiiiii the first ifo i

Hiiiiiiiii the first ifo i get a warning box saying parsing ifo file
the other ifo file i told you previously what it says and the rest are they say vlc media file .vob vts-01_0 there are 5 of them. I just went to look there are 8 all togeter.

Also I was off line when I tried to copy it
Thank you ev

Rotab
actually I dont see where it

actually I dont see where it says encripted or not . I was sure it said it was not encripted but now i cant find it
I just went to check that and it says format avi and when I first edited it says i need adminster rights to put it in video_ts do i want to put in in documents so i said okey
I have administer rights but gordons knot doesnt think so
thank you again ev

Matt Whitlock
You want your INPUT source to

You want your INPUT source to be the IFO file on the disc. You want to set your OUTPUT folder to somewhere on your hard drive (like your my documents folder).

Rotab
yes i did

yes i did
Is there any other way to get it on my hard drive I tried documents.
should i download the gordon knots again could that be wrong or is there any other program to get it on my hard drive so i can edit it
thank you
ev

Matt Whitlock
ev fili said:

ev fili said:
yes i did
Is there any other way to get it on my hard drive I tried documents.
should i download the gordon knots again could that be wrong or is there any other program to get it on my hard drive so i can edit it
thank you
ev

I've attached a screenshot of what it should look like when you set it up.

Try using the predefined size of 1 or 2 CDs, which has always worked fine for me. Also, make sure you hit "Add Job" and then the Start button, which should become clickable after you add the job.

See at the top I'm pointing to VTS_01_01.IFO. The disc I have contains several IFO files, but this is the one that corresponds to the data I'm looking for. Sometimes you'll need to experiment to figure it out. Below, I'm pointing to a directory on my hard drive, and I named the output file "myvideo.avi." After I hit start and the process is completed, I'll look there for my file.

Try to set yours up in a similar way. If we still can't get it, we'll just have to find a different program. I'll say though, AutoGK has always worked well for me. 

Rotab
Hiiiiiiiiii I notice that

Hiiiiiiiiii I notice that your video info is shorther then mine
mine says mpeg2 720*480 intsc 4.3 pgc 1. length 7:1254:15
I couldnt get any info into the subtitle track
I did exactly what you said in the log window it started at 1 25 oclock i added job abd then hit start
and there are a bunch of things written downin the log window and the last thing is demuxing and indexing also at 1 25 and then it stopped moving
its not working again
thank you again
Ev

Matt Whitlock
7 hours certainly seems a lot

7 hours certainly seems a lot longer than normal (more than what your average DVD will even fit). Didn't you say this was a 30 minute video?

Rotab
I thought it was a half hour

I thought it was a half hour but when I watched it again it said it was one hour show. I only watched the part I like.
But it is an hour show
also in audio track
this is what came up ???ac3 2ch
thank you Ev

Matt Whitlock
Your audio track is fine. I'd

Your audio track is fine. I'd expect regular TV to only be 2channel audio.

How many IFO files are on your disc in the Video_TS folder?

Rotab

the other one doesnt open at all
thank you ev

Pages

Connect With Techlore