pioneer SD-P5191K odd problems

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
smrf1080
pioneer SD-P5191K odd problems

Ok, thanks in advance for any help with these frustrating problems.  I am having two major problems.  First, when tv is first turned on, it will turn off after 1-5 minutes.  I can only turn it back on by using power button on tv (remote not able).  This continues for about an hour.  Second, the screen has started flashing to a blank screen periodically.  When it happens the screen goes gray/black every thirty seconds for about 1 second.  I have extensive electrical background but am unfamiliar with electrical design of this tv.  Please help!! Frown

Larry Dillon
Sounds like bad solder

Sounds like bad solder connections on the sweep printed circuit board.

smrf1080
Thanks for the reply Larry,

Thanks for the reply Larry, would u suggest i take the board out and examine? or freeze spray could maybee be used to locate the bad solder joints? I am strapped for cash so I would like to attempt to fix it myself before calling in the pros.

Larry Dillon
I would take out the board

I would take out the board and look for bad solder connections first. On the solder side of this board you should see where a lot of parts get hot.

smrf1080
I have started to clean and

I have started to clean and inspect the electrical components. Do you know what the part number is for the board you refered to (sweep printed circuit board), or where it would be located in this model tv (what electrical components are soldered on it). Thanks again Larry, you have already been a huge help.

smrf1080
well I opened up the tv and

well I opened up the tv and observed what was happening when the tv turned off on me. After 5 to 10 minutes, the tv sound increases for a second or two, then goes to standby. When this happens LED #6610 lights up on what appears to be the incoming power circuit board. Do you know what this means or how I can solve this problem.

Larry Dillon
That means the regulator

That means the regulator circuit is stopping. That is a power supply falure. You need a service manual for this set. Could still be a bad connection. If you do not have a schematic, or perhaps you cannot follow circuit flow and troubleshoot the board to component level, call PTS.com and see if they overhaul the boards to your TV set. You are going to need a multi-meter and a service manual, including a schematic diagram to trace where your problem lies. If you can do these things, can follow a schematic, understand circuit flow, send me a copy of the schematic, and perhaps we can solve the problem. Of course though, it will depend on your experience with solid state repair. Other then that, I'm afraid it will be a hit and miss thing to repair the set.

smrf1080
Yes that would be ideal but

Yes that would be ideal but looking around it sounds like that may be a hard schematic to find. The bad connections on the power supply for pioneers seems like a pretty common problem. Sweep board = power supply board? Removing the board requires desoldering first, or am I missing something? I follow schematic;s everyday at work so it would be nice to get my hands on one, can you help me find one? Are their any other steps I can take to try to pinpoint it without the schematic?

Larry Dillon
Are you sure of the model

Are you sure of the model number on this set? I have searched high and low. I simply cannot find heads or tales of this model. I have loads of buds in this repair game, and none of them has heard of this model. I hope you are talking about a TV set that is in the US.

smrf1080
yeah I've been looking around

yeah I've been looking around too only stuff I can find is on the pioneer electronics website. Both the back of the tv and the owners manual say SD-P5191K. It was bought in 1994. Do you think the power supply assy (AWV1551) is similiar to another schematic that could be used?

Larry Dillon
I thought I wrote to you

I thought I wrote to you yesterday. I looked in all the other Pioneer service Manuals and none of them use the board you mentioned. That board is still available new from Partstore.com but the price is over 500 bucks! Have you contavted ptscorp.com to see if they work on that board?

smrf1080
Hey Larry, So I have the

Hey Larry, So I have the power supply board out and am cleaning the solder joints/resoldering the hot components. As far as finding cold solder joints, should I resolder the whole thing, or will I be able to find the weak points. Should I be worried about bad capacitors/components given my symptoms? What else can I do now that I have the board removed?

Larry Dillon
Not a whole heck of a lot

Not a whole heck of a lot unless you have a ESR capacitor meter and a schematic I'm afraid.

smrf1080
Alright, I contacted PTScorp

Alright, I contacted PTScorp.com and they stated that all they do is rework the board (cost is around $100). Stated that specifically they will look over it and fix anything wrong with it. They would not give me a copy of a schematic, maybee you would be able to get one, who knows. Do you think this is a good idea and in the end will it hopefully solve the problems I am having. I am skeptical about how closely they examine the boards (will any cold solder joints be repaired). I assume you have dealt with them before so I trust your advice.

Larry Dillon
pts does not just resolder

pts does not just resolder the board, they bench test the board with basicly a scrap chassis of the Pioneer. I tryed to get a schematic with no luck. a 100 bucks is not too bad for having the board reworked. You will save a great deal in labor by doing it youself

smrf1080
And I can be pretty confident

And I can be pretty confident that sending the power supply board out to get reworked will solve my problems? I was having intermittent problems, meaning it was not happening every single time on cue. The winking/blank screen flashing was happening after a couple hours of the tv being on. I am worried when they test the board this could be overlooked or go unnoticed.

Larry Dillon
Problem is, the problem may

Problem is, the problem may not be the only problem or maynot be on the power board.

smrf1080
So that fault light that is

So that fault light that is lighting up on the power supply board could mean there is no problem with the PS board, instead a diff board is causing it?

Larry Dillon
It means that there is a

It means that there is a supply thatb is bad but something could be loading it down.

smrf1080
So how can I narrow it down,

So how can I narrow it down, I have a coworker bringing in his ESR meter to check what I believe are the 'monster' filter caps. We will also check some of the other caps, I can also check the transistors, resistors.

Larry Dillon
That's about all you can do

That's about all you can do without a schematic to troubleshoot the TV set while in operation. Check ALL of the caps, small and large. Check the caps on the sweep board or circuit also.

smrf1080
I'm not quite sure which

I'm not quite sure which board you are refering to when you say sweep. Is that the smaller board that plugs into the power supply (E6 E7 E8 connectors)? Also to possibly take care of cold solder joints, is it alright to go through and use soldering iron to just touch each solder joint? Thanks again Larry for your help.

Larry Dillon
To tell you the truth, I do

To tell you the truth, I do not remember the set to well. I would have to see it first. I do not like to resolder every connections as I have caused problems in the past doing this. I have feelers out to 12 different sources for a service manual for this set.

smrf1080
alright I appreciate the help

alright I appreciate the help Larry. I will hang out for a bit and hopefully I can get my hands on a manual soon. I will check all the caps, and fix up the hot solder joints. If you get your hands on any more info please let me know.
-Mike- ([email protected])

Connect With Techlore