WT-46809 repair gone bad...

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Den1985
WT-46809 repair gone bad...

Here's what happened.  I had my convergence IC's fail on my Mitsubishi WT-46809 set.  I did my research and, having some background in electronics, figured I could do the repair myself.  Well, the repair went as planned up until the very last step.  When putting the chassis back into the television set, I forgot to hook one cable up in it's spot. The cable is located on the right side of the board, towards the front.  It hooks into four prongs and the wire is a fairly heavy gauge.  Upon attempting to turn on the set without this plug in it's place, I heard some noises which reminded me of static electricity discharge, then the set turned itself off and is giving me a 2-3 error code.  Any help would be appreciated as I cannot find out any information on this code and don't have any schematics to follow to assist in yet another repair.

Thanks,

-Dennis

Larry Dillon
I need to know what the plug

I need to know what the plug number on the board or on the plug it'self is first. The 2-3 code is a short circuit. I always warn people not to rush in the repair and before you plug in the set, look over the entire chassis several times and make triple sure your soldering is good and all of the plugs are inplace.

Den1985
It was the "DY" plug.  I tend

It was the "DY" plug.  I tend to learn my lessons the hard way.  I was even sure to go over the boards several times to check for bad solder joints.  I have done this repair once before and I think I just got too comfortable this time around.

Den1985
Don't know if it makes a

Don't know if it makes a difference or not, but i have been testing components and have found resistor R9D00 is out.  No pico fuses are out and all other major resistors seem to check out okay.  I'm not sure how to check capacitors with just my DMM, or I would begin doing that next.

Larry Dillon
What do you mean the resistor

What do you mean the resistor is out? The only good way to test capacitors is with an ESR type capacitor meter. If you troubleshoot TV's all the time I would say it is worth getting one. What vauke is that resistor and what circuit is it in?

Den1985
The resistor does not conduct

The resistor does not conduct electricity.  It's value is 4.7 Megaohms. It is located on the power supply board, right next to where the mains plugs into the board. It is actually labeled on the board as "HOT". I am going to start researching ESR type meters since I am getting more and more into electronics.

Larry Dillon
A 4.7 meg resistor is a

A 4.7 meg resistor is a pretty high value of resistor. How high is the highest resistance scale you have on your multimeter?

Den1985
2000K ohms, which is 2Mohms,

2000K ohms, which is 2Mohms, I see . . . so odds are it is just too high of resistance for my meter?

Larry Dillon
Very well could be. I use a

Very well could be. I use a digital auto ranging DMM. I highly doubt if that is your problem. They usually use those types of resistors in voltage dropping circuits where there is voltage passing through with no load and when a circuit or button is pressed it changes a matrix in the micro. Look for other problems.

Den1985
I'm unable to find anything

I'm unable to find anything else that is not working properly.  Where is the best place to get a service manual or schematics?  Being able to follow things through such a diagram would help immensly.

Larry Dillon
You could buy on if you wish

You could buy on if you wish from servicemanuals.net. Or you could leave an e-mail address and I will send you a copy.

Den1985
Email address is rodman_95

Email address is [email protected]

Thanks so much Larry, much appreciated.

67baja
Larry, I am working on the

Larry, I am working on the same model (wt-46809).  Could you send me the service manual as well?  My email is [email protected]

This tv turns on and works good for about 15 minutes, then the convergence go out.  Seems like when it heats up, something get whacky.  It still has a picture and sound, but the colors get skewed.  My suspicion is the convergence ICs, which are labeled STK392-570 (2 of them).  These ICs have some sort of oil substance on the front of them???  Not the heat paste on the back, but a clear oily liquid.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I have the board out and all other components appear good.

Larry Dillon
Oh Geez. Your picture tubes

Oh Geez. Your picture tubes are leaking. big problems. They have an oily anti freez type coolant inside them that leak out because the O rings on the picture tube(s) go bad. Sorry for the bad news.

67baja
Well, one of the pins on a

Well, one of the pins on a convergence IC had a break in the solder connection to the board.  I resoldered it and TA-DA!  Perfect.  I don't see anywhere else (above the IC's or bottom of anything).  It was only a couple drops, so hopefully this thing will last a while. 

I love this site!  I've never done any tv repair, but I've been reading on this site and it worked.  Thanks for all the direction you give everyone.  I would still like to get the repair manual if possible...

[email protected]

Larry Dillon
You still have a leak from

You still have a leak from the tubes it sounds like. Good Job in finding the bad connections.

buzztv
I have a WT-46809. Is it

I have a WT-46809. Is it possible to get someone to send me the service manual for this model? On my unit the green light comes on (nothing else) for about 2 seconds then goes off with a click. I work with computers mainly so to me it seems like a power supply problem. If anyone has some schematics/service manuals I would greatly appreciate it.
[email protected]

dwyerdal
Got the same on off problem

Got the same on off problem on my WT-46809. Could also use a service manual
[email protected]

Connect With Techlore