Powerpoint...computer to tv question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
top producer
Powerpoint...computer to tv question

I run a Real Estate office, right on the square in a small "touristy" historic town. A unique feature of our office is our use of a 40in LCD tv in the window which shows a slideshow of our current listings, in a video DVD format. Its a great attention grabber and has proven to be an excellent resource in advertising and pulling in walk-in's.

My dillema is, updating the listing dvd is a pain and takes forever to do. I thought why not connect the computer straight to the tv via a dvi cable and run the slideshow continuously in a powerpoint format. This way I could add/edit in no time and it would be cheaper to maintain.

My question is, is there any way I can run the power point off my computer, connected to the tv, AND do other work on the same computer at the same time, with just the power point presentation showing up on the tv? If that makes any sense...

Or does anyone have another suggestion? Thanks!

Matt Whitlock
You can definitely run the

You can definitely run the computer display to the television and run your slideshow directly in PowerPoint. What you can't do (as far as I'm aware) is update the slide show in real time as its being shown. You'll have to exit slide mode and update it, then begin the presentation again.

If you run the monitor as a secondary display, you could play a commercial video in one screen while you update the slide show in the other. That way no one outside has to see you actually update it.

If I remember correctly, power point shuts off all monitors to display the slideshow. I don't think you can run it in show mode and still do your regular work from the same box. If anyone knows a way, I'd love to hear how.

Do you have access to a fairly cheap PC that you can dedicate to this purpose. All you need to do is install the power point viewer (free) and run it on a seperate box. It wouldn't be horrible to manage, especially if they're networked and you use VNC or remote desktop (heck, even a KVM would do the trick).

top producer
Thanks for the reply, Matt. I

Thanks for the reply, Matt. I could grab a cheap computer just for running the slideshow on. Our office computers are networked so running it via remote desktop shouldn't be that hard to accomplish. I hadn't thought about that.

wilsonad
If I remember correctly I

If I remember correctly I found this program a while back and it almost separated the computer into two, using dual monitors.  Can't be sure.  Check it out here.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

It looks like you can run a different screen saver and you can use the My Pictures screen saver if it is just pictures, or you can export slides as pictures.

I do agree with matt though it would be much easier to get a dedicated machine. 

Matt Whitlock
Cool software suggestion

Cool software suggestion wilsonad, I've never played with that application before. I may need to check it out. :-)

Chris Birdsall
so how to you get

so how to you get thepowerpoint presentation to show up on the tv screen?

Debe
As a related question, could

As a related question, could I view a ppt presentation from a flash drive directly through a LED smart TV through a USB port?

Connect With Techlore