Sony convergence problem

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Criscraf
Sony convergence problem

I have a KP-53S35 Sony and have been reading about the ic,s. Does anyone have a service manual ? I believe I can do the work myself, and this site has been great Thank You

Criscraf
My email is Criscraf30@aol

My email is [email protected]  Thank you in advance for all your help.

Criscraf
OK, I just downloaded the

OK, I just downloaded the service manual from manualisland for $9.00,seems like good deal, but does not show a D board.  maybe this is not going to be so easy after all. looks like STK,s are on G board.

Larry Dillon
Criscraf, no the pico fuses

Criscraf, no the pico fuses for the convergence are on the G board. The convergence IC's are on the D board for sure. You have to know how to read and follow a circuit diagram. Have you read the article here at techlore yet on doing this convergence repair? I will attach some links here for you to read before getting involved with this convergence repair. Good Luck.

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony-TV-has-a-distorted-picture-/

http://www.techlore.com/article/19631/Sony-Convergence-Procedure/

Criscraf
I believe I,v read everything

I believe I,v read everything on this site in the last week or so. I have not yet took tv apart  I looked in service manual and it has no D board and shows ic,s on G board, or I,m reading it wrong?

Thanx for all your help, and I,ll keep you posted

zapdbf
Your set is one of the rare

Your set is one of the rare ones without a "D" board, I looked up the service manual. All this means is that the main power supply and the deflection is on the same board "G",  This set is an older one. Are you sure the convergence ic's are your problem ? - Can you describe the symptom. 

This set uses stk 392-110 replace with stk392-180's This set also does not use all the fuses that the newer ones use, check the resistors, There maybe some fuses in the p/s but i have not looked that up yet. First if you can describe the problem, make sure this is your problem. 

Larry Dillon
I just looked up this set

I just looked up this set also. It does not have a D board. Me bad!

Criscraf
TV is a 1997 When you turn it

TV is a 1997 When you turn it on its great for about 22 minutes, then the top bows down and the bottom bows up like a bowtie and the colors seperate, the center stays fine. did I describe it right?

after leaving it off awhile it will start good again. I asumed something getting hot and shorting

zapdbf
you may just have bad solder

you may just have bad solder connections on the ic's, try to just solder the ic's.

Larry np got your back! - Larry is a good tech!

Criscraf
OK, but if I remove board and

OK, but if I remove board and check solder connections,  should I just not replace IC,s anyway,   the labor is taking apart and soldering, right

zapdbf
It may not require new ic's

It may not require new ic's since it is intermittent. Change them if you like, but it sounds like you just have bad solder connections, just simply re-solder all the pins on the convergence ic's. since it is good for a while, then you don't have blown fuse or resistors.

Criscraf
Ok,I'll try that,. I thought

Ok,I'll try that,. I thought that if it worked for 20 min, that something getting hot,when it cools ok again. but what do I Know, just a contractor. Thanx

Silva
Criscraf said: Ok,I'll try

Criscraf said: Ok,I'll try that,. I thought that if it worked for 20 min, that something getting hot,when it cools ok again. but what do I Know, just a contractor. Thanx

I agree with bad solders in the circuit.

Larry Dillon
What happens is that from the

What happens is that from the heat, the solder connection gets what is called ring cracks around the pins of the IC's. As the solder heats up, those rings of solder expand around the small pins of the IC's and they lose connections with the pins. When they cool down the rings of solder around the IC pins contract and make a connection again. Eventually if you do not repair it really soon, the IC will blow out.

Criscraf
Ok I see, I'll do that and

Ok I see, I'll do that and get back to you, Again thanx for all your help

Criscraf
Well I think you were exacly

Well I think you were exacly right, I got into it sunday, resoldered ic put it back together it worked about an hour till i button it up, same thing, I then touched the board and straighten up, took it apart again, just about resoldered everything, still back and forth when you touch anything on that end of board, well before it was over with cant find loose connection, but its there

Criscraf
If it makes a difference, the

If it makes a difference, the ic on left gets warm, the ic on right gets super hot.

Larry Dillon
They both should be about the

They both should be about the same temp. Time to replace the IC's. Probably waited and put up with the bad connections too long.

Criscraf
Well, I replaced both ic,s,

Well, I replaced both ic,s, boy what a pain, trying to get lined up with holes under heat sink, anyhow eventually got them in. turned tv on  and same problem if you touch board it will go good, bad,finally found a bad solder connection under center support for board,very hard to see, anyhow resoldered it and works great. I can,t thank you guys enough for all your help, it,s been an experiance.

Larry Dillon
Great news man! Congrats goes

Great news man! Congrats goes out to you. Beers are on Criscraf! Cool

Connect With Techlore