play station 3 as a blu-ray player?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
tds73
play station 3 as a blu-ray player?

hello, i am asking this on here because i trust the opinions of the users on techlore. i have some knowledge of home video/audio, but i am not a pro.

we are interested in getting a blu-ray player, figured why not buy a play station 3 and kill 2 birds with one stone.  as far as blu-ray playing, is there any reason not to think this way?

also, we have a sony wega with hdmi input and a denon avr-2800 receiver without hdmi. do i have to have a receiver with hdmi? or can i send the picture to the tv with hdmi and route the audio thru my denon?

maybe my first purchase should be a new receiver?

will my sony kp-46wt520 tv produce the blu-ray quality pic or is it time for a new tv?

thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Matt Whitlock
Hi tds73,

Hi tds73,

You're not alone in the appeal of the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. For high-def movies and a gaming machine in one package, it seems reasonable. In fact, Yog-Sothoth recently blogged about the PS3 as a the only future proof option for Blu-Ray, which you can read about here: http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/20590/Playstation-3--The-Only-Future-Proof...

At the moment, the only real downside to me is that using your PS3 as your main Blu-Ray player is the extra wear and tear on your gaming machine, but given the relatively high price of current standalone offerings, I'm not sure that's reason enough to pass up the value of having both a gaming machine and Blu-Ray player in one. Of course, the HD format war (though definitely leaning toward Blu-Ray as the winner) still isn't over. There's still some risk in investing in either format at this time.

For your receiver question, it's definitly possible to run video to your TV and audio to the receiver seperately. Unless you're unhappy with your current receiver, I see no reason to replace it just for HDMI jacks.

Your TV is HD ready and capable of showing you a 1080i High-def image. In my opinion, it's more than adequate for a quality Blu-Ray experience, but if you want to squeeze out every drop of video quality from Blu-Ray discs you'll need a 1080p capable TV. 

Connect With Techlore