Will my CRT be okay in the cold?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Strip
Will my CRT be okay in the cold?

I live in N.E.Pennsylvania where the temperatures get hot in the summer( 90s in July ) and cold in the winter ( 10 in Jan.) my Question is can I put my 32in. picture tube TV on my in closed porch there is no heat until I start up the pellet stove on a weekend when I would turn on the TV set to watch sports,will anything happen to the set.I have a 27in. flat screen out there now (picture tube) for about 3yrs. and so far it works will what do you think?

Larry Dillon
You will not have a problem

You will not have a problem with the picture tube, but in the past I have had capacitors blow up when they get really cold and you do not bring the set to room temp first. No guarantee when a cap will pop from being frozen. Good Luck

Guest (not verified)
I don't think you will have a

I don't think you will have a problem.  I would keep it plugged in all the time. If you have a fast start option on it, leave it turned on. THe fast start kinda keeps it warmed up all the time.

Larry Dillon
That only keeps the standby

That only keeps the standby power supply on Brandon. The regulation circuit and the horizontal circuits are dead as a doornail when the set is off, and I cannot count how many times I have had a tech bring a set into the shop after it has set all night in the repair truck and have the main power supply capacitors blow up. I do agree, on a newer set, it may not happen right away, but give it time. It will.

zapdbf
Tempiture changes (very cold

Tempiture changes (very cold or very hot) can be realy hard on caps.

Connect With Techlore