Region 0 DVD only play in black and white on PS2

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pinkcoke
Region 0 DVD only play in black and white on PS2

Hi we have a british bought PS2 and a huge boxset of region 0 DVDs (despite being advertised as region 2) that will only play in black and white - sound works fine btw. Now I presume this is because it wasn't designed to read these discs (correct me if I'm wrong) but I wondered if there's a way to override it (I heard) by getting the PS2 chipped? This boxset is 9 series and came from china so we really would like to be able to watch them.

Matt Whitlock
Most likely you either have a

Most likely you either have a bad S-Video cable, or the discs you're trying to read are in a different television format that what your TV is compatible with.

Pinkcoke
 We have just swapped this tv

We have just swapped this tv to replace a smaller one and both displayed the same results with these discs, the previous tv had also had the cable swapped before. Is it possible both are not compatible with the discs? or is it more likely the discs are the problem?

dans_repair_service
Look on the discs themselves.

Look on the discs themselves.  They should indicate whether or not they are PAL or NTSC.  I think that you have an incompatibility here.  If you play a PAL signal into an NTSC system, you often get a picture but no color.  I think it wokrs the same in the reverse.  If I get a chance, I'll try a PAL signal into an NTSC system tomorrow to confirm this.

Dan 

Matt Whitlock
Exactly right dan. I'll also

Exactly right dan. I'll also point out that Region 0 stands for "not region coded."  These discs will play in any region DVD player, but the television format (PAL, NTSC, SECAM, etc) may differ from the television.

Connect With Techlore