57" Sony Wide Screen Projection TV screen with a severe green hue..

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Winterlady
57" Sony Wide Screen Projection TV screen with a severe green hue..

This 57" Sony Wide Screen Projection Tv is approx. 5 year old, model  KP-57WV600.                         It has slowly been exhibiting impending problems, first about 1 year ago the video 1 jack on the back of the TV went crazy, all of a sudden the picture just started to get darker and darker until it was almost unwatchable, I switched my video input to a different jack on the TV, video 2, and it had worked great until about 8 months or so ago then the picture started showing these strange small lines or bars across the whole screen, real small lines through the middle with slightly larger lines more toward the top and bottom of the screen that bowed up on the top and bowed down on the bottom. Although the picture wasn't affected enough to make watching it too bad, mostly just a dark scene in a show is when they were the most visible, then someone told us that some people can sometimes see these "bars" more so than others but that they were quite normal??  I guess we should have known better!! Embarassed

Anyway now the TV screen has developed a severe green hue no matter what we have tried to do as far as switching to a different video in jack and is quickly becoming almost unbearable to watch.!  I have tried to reset the TV by unplugging it for 1 hour per a suggestion from Sony and it did appear to have fixed this issue but then it only lasted for about 40 minutes then right back to the "green screen".  I would hate to think this Sony Big-Screen TV we paid $1800.00 for would be shot after only 5 years or be too costly to fix.!!??Yell

Does anyone have an idea what our problems might be?  Is there something we can try to do to figure it out or fix it ourselves??  In our rural area there is no place that will come to the house to service it, we will have to transport this HUGE thing out of town for service.!!

We just wanted to try to find out if it would be worth trying to have serviced or does it sound like it may be a very costly repair?Frown

We would greatly appreciate any expert advice we can get!!  PLEASE HELP!!Undecided

zapdbf
so does video input one still

so does video input one still not work ?

zapdbf
after reading you post a

after reading you post a little more carfully, you might be describing retrace lines. What this is when the beam after scanning the picture has to re-set, and you will get a series of thin zig zag lines that will look bowed across the screen. if this what you are seeing then the screen voltage is too high, or you may be having trouble with a video ouptput ic, or you could have a tube going bad. What color is this bowed line ?

Guest (not verified)
I did try the video 1 input

I did try the video 1 input that was totally dark before but now it seems to be working only it also has this same "green hue" to the whole picture although right now it doesn't seem to be quite as bad as the video 3 jack I was using, also we have an over the air roof antenna hooked up that we use if our satellite happens to go out then we can still view our local stations with the roof antenna, now that feed is coaxle cable right from the antenna and that is the only one that seems to show a big difference in the "green hue", it's still present but not as severe.

As far as the color of the bowed lines, they also are a "green" color.  But now that the whole picture screen has a total green hue those lines are not quite as visible.

Do you think it would make any difference to try using a coaxle cable for my video to TV? or is this something that sounds like more?? 

zapdbf
No, It sound like you are

No, It sound like you are having trouble with either your green tube, or green video driver. One thing you can try is to adjust your screen voltages, pull off the front panel on your television, then under that panel there will be small  panel, remove this panel and behind this you will see a cluster of controls, the middle control will control the green, there are 6 controls two for each tube. one is your screen, the other is for your focus. The screen or focus will be printed above the controls in the plastic, you may need a flashlight to read this. Tune your tv to a blank input, then adjust your screen control up or down just untill the green hue goes away, repast this for the other two colors, to balance them out better. then tune the tv to a regular station and see if your picture is any better. This may not be a permanent fix, it primly is only hiding a real problem with your tv. But it will help flush out the problem easier, if your picture changes significantly again then you may have to resort to getting it repaired.

Warning as always high voltages exist with the panels removed so be careful not to touch anything. There is a shock hazard. Also if you turn the screen voltage up too high it may cause your tv to shutdown and code. Simply turn off your tv turn down the screen control and turn it back on. You may need to unplug it. If you adjust the screen too high(bright) it will either go into x-ray protect or AKB balance shutdown. Unplugging the tv and turning the control down will bring it out of it. 

Guest (not verified)
Thanks so much for your help,

Thanks so much for your help, we will give that a try tomorrow morning but right now there are too many football fans here to interrupt their game, they would rather watch the "green hue" for right now!

As you said, this may not be a permanent fix and is maybe hiding a real problem with the tv and if the picture changes again we would need to get it repaired, but do you have any ideas as to what this "hidden problem" might be and how costly is it likely to be to have repaired?  We paid $1800.00 for it about 5 years ago and wouldn't want to have to dish out around half that amount now to get it fixed, would it be worth it to take it in for repair if need be, with the price of these new ones today I'm gonna say it would most likely be cheaper to repair this one?

Thanks again for your help! 

zapdbf
It can be several things,

It can be several things, some of them are the Green crt, Video driver ic, Jungle ic, there could be other reasons.

Connect With Techlore