Shimmering faces

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maleesh
Shimmering faces
I have a Sony DVD player (RDR-GX300) connected to a Sony Bravia TV(KDL 20S2020). When I play DVDs there is a very strange effect. Parts of the picture, especially faces, appear to wobble and shimmer. In the case of faces, it's almost as if the faces are made of two layers and the top layer is slightly detached and moving around slightly over the bottom layer. It's very unsettling. Any ideas as to what's causing this?
zapdbf
I think i know what you are

I think i know what you are talking about, Is the picture comming in through a hi-def input like rgb, or hdmi - somthing like that ?

Mel-Mel2841
zapdbf said: I think i know

zapdbf said: I think i know what you are talking about, Is the picture comming in through a hi-def input like rgb, or hdmi - somthing like that ?

I'm sorry, non-techie here. The DVD player is connected via a scart cable if that's any help

zapdbf
Sounds like you are seeing

Sounds like you are seeing some kind of timing lag, try to change your video resolutions if you can. this may help. You may beable to change the input type from maby 720p to 1080i or visa-versa. and see if this changes the behavour of your picture. I have seen other tv's have simular problems and it is due to digital to analog conversion issues and compatibility issues. I haven't looked it up yet for your model but i will check it out.

marv54
Hello zapdf,

Hello zapdf,

Friend of mine is experienced tech,but not internet savvy. Asked me to post about similar problem with KDLM2000. Definate time lag on both sets he has. He thinks he may have dried surface mount cap problem.Apparently the area he suspects is attached to the top rear of the screen and is difficult to service.He also claims that replacing the screen would solve the problem , but of coarse is not economically feasable.

Thanks
Marv

Larry Dillon
Sounds like a plasma set, if

Sounds like a plasma set, if it is you have a problem with the XY board voltage power supply, sometimes it can be adjusted out but mostly comes back, if it is a regular CRT based set or projection type set, it sounds like a problem with the filter cap in the screen supply power source OR a bad screen/focus block? This is the reason you should purchase an extended guarantee with the plasma set but make sure the warranty covers screen replenishment/ replacement , as some extended warranties do not!!

marv54
Hi Larry, it is a sony lcd

Hi Larry, it is a sony lcd bravia.if screen is relaced by off brand, unit will respond and will display correct image.

Marv

Larry Dillon
If the Screen FITS and has

If the Screen FITS and has the same drivers it should work bit really no way to tell until it is installed.

marv54
Hi larry,

Hi larry,
Yup thats true and did , I have a good phillips screen for him and should work. Strange problem as I dont think lcd units have memory capabilities as my friend tech is wondering. I would think it would be some sort of resolution problem.

Marv

marv54
All about toughf nuts and

All about toughf nuts and dogs,funny thing is, we rarely speak about easy repairs.All about bad ones. Got 6 of them myself. 2 sonys, toshiba, samsung(changed coolant,tube burned) list goes on.....

marv54
Hate to see him scrap the

Hate to see him scrap the sets but,cant come up with solution to problem,However
strange that when screen is interchanged, problem goes away.I dont get this one aat all. Unless sony has engineered some sort of control for the screen which is exclusive to that model,....

Larry Dillon
The LCD driver boards are

The LCD driver boards are probably mounted to the screen?

Larry Dillon
or there are driver IC"s

or there are driver IC"s mounted on flexible ribbon cables that have holes in them the IC;s pop all the time.and if you can get the IC's most likely not! You will melt or damage the flex cable unless you can get just the cables?

marv54
Hi larry, not able to contact

Hi larry, not able to contact him today. I DO remmember him saying something almost exactly like you have stated.I am fairly sure he mentioned that as well. I will forward the info I have to him.

By the way I have quite a few RCA factory schematics on disc. Beleive they cover all,,, ctc 195, 197, 185and some others (all prjection and crt, not much newer.

Tahnks
Marv

Larry Dillon
Submit what you can to the

Submit what you can to the techlore's technicians corner, if you cannot find it go here it you could submit those please just click on make you own download an then do the upload

marv54
Woops, sorry guys, thought

Woops, sorry guys, thought that was tge service manual , was Owner Manual

My Apologies, should have opened it first

Larry Dillon
WHAT does it say right on the

WHAT does it say right on the front of the manual??

marv54
Remember now, zapft sent me a

Remember now, zapft sent me a link to I beleive"euras". Downloaded 3 .rar files

They seem to be the same( Imean the three files)Im sure I could convert to .pdf

They are the correct schematic for the toshiba in question t"toshiba 32-36 HFX71

Marv

Larry Dillon
no need to convert Marv. You

no need to convert Marv. You can submit rar.

marv54
Hello Larry,

Hello Larry,

Have a better understanding of problem with LCD set. Yes! there is driver board permanetly mounted to the screen. Do you know if there is components on this board that can be causing this problem ? If not, and is a screen problem, then scrapping the set is in order.

Again thank you for your efforts,
Regards
Marv

marv54
Oops, the cable apparently is

Oops, the cable apparently is not a problem with this set

Larry Dillon
Of course it is one or the

Of course it is one or the other, my guess is it is the drivers and not the screen.

Connect With Techlore