RCA Stereo RS2625B No Power

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Randy
RCA Stereo RS2625B No Power

I have an RCA RS2625B home stereo. It was working fine and then one day just quit. There is no display demo nothing. There are two fuses inside and both are fine. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what might be wrong with this unit?

dans_repair_service
Without checking the unit

Without checking the unit itself, I would think that the problem is that the standby transformer is open.  Was there a power outage or surge?  I'll try to get more details and post additional instructions.

Dan

Randy
That sounds like it could be

That sounds like it could be on the right track. The power went out 3 times that week!!

Randy
dans_repair_service said:

dans_repair_service said: Without checking the unit itself, I would think that the problem is that the standby transformer is open.  Was there a power outage or surge?  I'll try to get more details and post additional instructions. Dan

How would I go about testing this transformer to see if that's the problem? I have no schematics and am not too familiar with these types of transformers, more wires running out of it than most.

dans_repair_service
You should see that one side

You should see that one side has only 2 leads.  Check these for continuity.  Many of these transformers have fuses inside them for added protection.  If the measurement reads open (infinity), the transformer needs to be replaced.

Another option is that this unit uses a switch-mode power supply.  In this case, you should see a standby indication, but no other action.  There are capacitors in the supply that initiate oscillation.  If the cap is bad, no oscillation... no power.

Dan

Randy
dans_repair_service said: You

dans_repair_service said: You should see that one side has only 2 leads.  Check these for continuity.  Many of these transformers have fuses inside them for added protection.  If the measurement reads open (infinity), the transformer needs to be replaced. Another option is that this unit uses a switch-mode power supply.  In this case, you should see a standby indication, but no other action.  There are capacitors in the supply that initiate oscillation.  If the cap is bad, no oscillation... no power. Dan

Dan , i checked the two leads and there is continuity. As for the standby action there is no indication of this at all, everything is dead.

zapdbf
If you really want to fix

If you really want to fix this you will need a schematic, did you check the standby power, does it exist? check the standby power after the bridge rectifier. But without a schematic i cannot tell you where that is.

Connect With Techlore