Sony kp51ws520

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul Orlando
Sony kp51ws520

My Sony is was blinking 9 times. I replaced the two diodes in the power supply that you recommended.

My TV still blinks 9 times. What do you recommend I do next? If it is that board do you have the Sony board #?

Paul.

[email protected] 

zapdbf
The board is not available.

The board is not available. There is not much in that circuit, did you use factory replacement parts? The part you need is very specific, if the characteristics of the component are not correct, it will not function . This circuit is very particular. There are other components that you can try. Before i get into that, please explain exactly what you have done to date

KarenW
I replaced D6116 and D6301.

I replaced D6116 and D6301.

I was told by Sony Electronic Inc these part #'s are Diode BAS316-115 and Diode 10erb20-tb5.

I replaced them and still have the same problem. I have done these types of repair many times.

zapdbf
i am never sure who i am

i am never sure who i am talking to, if you are a technician, then i will take a different approach to speaking with you.  i don't know if you know the theory behind the zero crossing detector, but it is a circuit that senses when the ac line voltage crosses the zero point. The micro will not allow the tv to turn on until this has happened, and if the micro cannot sense when this has happened the tv will code with 9 blinks. Personally i think that sony engineers have too much time on their and have to over engineer their products.  To me this circuit is totally useless. But, Getting beyond this, there are other parts that will cause this. I will post the complete component list next post looking it up now...

zapdbf
d6117  8-719-081-97

d6117  8-719-081-97

d6116  8-719-081-97

q6112,q6111,q6110    8-729-010-25

also c6116 47 mfd @ 50 volts

you cannot troubleshoot this circuit according to sony, the circuit is circular so if one of the signals are bad all of them are and you can't track down the culprit. So shotgun is about all you have left.

KarenW
I understand the delicate
I understand the delicate nature of the zero crossing detector and I could see how even a change in resistance or introduction of capacitance could throw off the balance of the ckt. I agree that it was over engineered, other than a small drop in power consumption it is useless. I also think that they do it on purpose sometimes to make outside technicians confused so the customer has to call there own service people.
I due have a tectonics scope at my disposal but need a schematic to be able to run down the signal, If you could provide the schematic I would be grateful. If it's not available or you dont think it will help i will take your advice and go hunting. 

Thanks.
Paul.
zapdbf
I have a schematic, but our

I have a schematic, but our contract with sony will  not allow us to share this. The reason they did this was not for power consumption but to prevent shock to the components when the set was first fired up. if the engineering tolerances have to be so tight that the minor shock due to the voltage being above zero to turn on is kina ridicules. I have tried to scope this and it just is no help at all. Sony tech support has no idea what the signal needs to be there. The manual does not show any signals, but there are defiantly some there.

KarenW
Thanks, for your help. Paul. 

Thanks,

for your help.

Paul. 

Char71112
Hey guys I have a KP51ws520

Hey guys I have a KP51ws520 that is doing the 9 blinks also.It started as intermittent , would take 4 or 5 tries to turn on. Havent opened it up yet. Dont have a service manual or schematic. Paul did you get the set you were working on fixed?,If so do you know what component fixed it?

Charlie

[email protected]

zapdbf
Char71112 - 9 blink is the

Char71112 - 9 blink is the diode(s) that we have poted here, are bad. it is an easy and cheep fix. if you need more help locating or preforming the repair post back here but it is fairly easy. 

Char71112
Ok I looked at the set,

Ok I looked at the set, Pulled the G board out, Found the D6116 and D6117 are sufrace mount on the foil side of the board, Saw another post that said replace D6301 also, its a regular diode on the component side, Just making sure I am on the same page as you as no one mentioned they were surface mount. Did not have the diodes to replace, so I checked them in circuit and resoldered, Put the board back in and the set works. The # on the G board is 1-862-715-11 (1-724-428-11) dont know which one is the actual p/n. So if I am correct on the location of the diodes, I will order them and replace.

Thanks

Charlie

zapdbf
d6301 is the primary cause

d6301 is the primary cause replace D6301 using P/N 6-500-567-21. the "G" board is not available any more from sony, you have to repair.

arkie
This thread seemed like the

This thread seemed like the best one for the KP51WS520 9 blink error. My TV recently shut off and did the 9 blink error. I pulled the G board and tested both D6301 and D6116. Both checked good for the diode test (conduct one way). I didn't have the 10ERB20 (Vrr=200v, Iav=1A, trr=60ns) to replace D6301 but I did have some diodes left over from another project. The diodes were
625-RGP10GE-E3/16 (Vrr=400v, Iav=1A, trr=150ns) from Mouser for $0.34 each.

Only the recovery times was slower than the OEM part. Since the OEM diode seemed good and the TV wouldn't power on then I figured I had nothing to lose by trying the new diode. I figured the D6301 had a higher failure rate than D6116 because of the higher current and heat. I thought maybe D6301 was having Vrr (reverse breakdown) problems. After bending the leads on the new diode to make it sit flat and soldering it in the TV powered up fine. It has only run for 2 hours now and all seems good.

Overall, I just wanted to post that even though my D6301 diode passed the diode test that it was still bad. I am probably going to order the OEM diode just in case the new diode fails. I really don't see that happening though. I also don't see why they used such a fast diode (trr=60ns) in such a slower circuit (zero crossing detector for 60hz).

EDIT: I just looked and they want $2.93 for diode D6301 and it is back ordered. At Mouser the 512-RGP10G is listed for $0.11 each. That one should have straight leads like the OEM part. The E3/16 suffix part I used needed the leads bent differently. It was fine, just a little more work. 

Zak. kapoor
tvjunk, could you please let

tvjunk, could you please let us know how 625-RGP10GE-E3/16 is working out for you?

I had the same 9 blink error. I got the OEM parts (it was a lot more than 34c, roughly $20 including shipping) and fixed up the G board. Replacing D6301 was easy. D6116 is a SMD and hence took some effort with the basic tools I have. I thought I might share my experience.

1. D6301: This is the easy part. The diode is fairly large and clearly marked on the board. Simply use the soldering iron and the suction tool to remove the diode. The OEM part comes clearly marked with a colored strip marking the N side of the diode.

2. D6116: This is a SMD so removing it was not that easy. I heated up its terminals and used a forcep to gently pull it out. I forgot to test its polarity before removing which was not very smart. The markings on the board are not good either. I was able to figure the polarity because it is a rectifier circuit after a transformer. Hence both D116 and D117 have their N terminals shorted together in the middle. Soldering this diode was not easy either. I softened the solder one terminal at a time and pressed the diode on it.

So far I have not seen any more 9 blink error. Thanks to this board for providing all the helpful guidance.

My KP-51WS520 Blinks 10,

My KP-51WS520 Blinks 10, pause, then 9 over and over again.

Does this mean it's the D6301 and something else?

Ugggg....

Please help!

My KP-51WS520 Blinks 10, the

My KP-51WS520 Blinks 10, the 9 over and over again.

Will replacing the D6301 resolve THIS issue? Or can it have other issues? Everyone keeps saying, 9 Blinks; change the Diode. But I can't find anything form anyone saying, 10 Blinks, then 9 Blinks..?

Please Help!

arkie
The 625-RGP10GE-E3/16 has

The 625-RGP10GE-E3/16 has been in the TV that is used daily for hours. It was given to another family of 4 that watch TV frequently so it has been on a lot. Sorry I missed this earlier as I would have given an update then.

Connect With Techlore