HELP please

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
megwitch
HELP please

Hi everybody. I have to confess to doing a stupid thing. I imported a Crosley CR83 record player/CD/Radio - that was not the stupid thing. In my hurrey to paly with this wonderful toy, I plugged it in to an adapter [I am in UK], it came on, then went off, and now it does not come on at all. I belatedly obtained a transformer [told you it was satupid], but no joy at all. Can anyone advise? Is there a fuse inside the record player which may have gone?

zapdbf
Ok, USA power standards are

Ok, USA power standards are diffrent than UK, did you get a proper us to european adaptor ? I did a quick search on your power standards but i am not sure what your voltage is, i believe you use 50 hz insted of 60 hz but i need to know more. Yes, i am sure there is a fuse in the unit. but you need to solve your electrical problem first. Let me know what your voltage is, so i can kinda tell what kind of dammage that may have done.

john lewis
zapdbf said: Ok, USA power

zapdbf said: Ok, USA power standards are diffrent than UK, did you get a proper us to european adaptor ? I did a quick search on your power standards but i am not sure what your voltage is, i believe you use 50 hz insted of 60 hz but i need to know more. Yes, i am sure there is a fuse in the unit. but you need to solve your electrical problem first. Let me know what your voltage is, so i can kinda tell what kind of dammage that may have done.

Hi. Thanks for replying. In UK we have 240v, and USA is 125v from what I can see. The transformer would have safely adjusted the voltage. The adapter, however, did not. The adapter did not have a fuse in it either - I did not realise this until after the event! I am virtually sure that caused the problem. I now have a good transformer, specifically for USA to UK use. Bit late I know.

Many thanks

zapdbf
I thought that is what you

I thought that is what you had, you did definatly take out a fuse in the unit, but not knowing for sure, but most of those crosley's have a power trasformer in them as opposed to a switch mode power supply. These power transformers can have internal fuses in them or you could open up a winding inside the transformer, that is where i would look next if a new fuse does not fix it.

john lewis
zapdbf said: I thought that

zapdbf said: I thought that is what you had, you did definatly take out a fuse in the unit, but not knowing for sure, but most of those crosley's have a power trasformer in them as opposed to a switch mode power supply. These power transformers can have internal fuses in them or you could open up a winding inside the transformer, that is where i would look next if a new fuse does not fix it

I have to confess that I am no electrician even if I do mend the washing machine! Would it be OK for me to open this up and have a go? Also, sorry to be a nuisance - would the fuses be the same as here, or should I order from USA?

zapdbf
amps is amps, so whatever

amps is amps, so whatever fuses you have there should be fine. As far as you doing this yourself i don’t know you so i can't tell you if you will beagle to fix it, if you have common sense it should be doable. I mean I am not going to yell at you for attempting it yourself, but you could cause more trouble if you are not careful.

john lewis
zapdbf said: amps is amps, so

zapdbf said: amps is amps, so whatever fuses you have there should be fine. As far as you doing this yourself i don’t know you so i can't tell you if you will beagle to fix it, if you have common sense it should be doable. I mean I am not going to yell at you for attempting it yourself, but you could cause more trouble if you are not careful.

Right. I understand. Thankyou so much. My brother is due here tomorrow and he will be able to do it - better safe than sorry.

Meanwhile thankyou very much for taking the time to give me all this info. It is a great help. Take care.

Connect With Techlore