vinyl records to cd

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Santiago Colom
vinyl records to cd

I have lots of old records(33rpm) and would like to copy them into cd format.There are many cd copiers/recorders in the market but to be able to make a good choice you must read a lot of   data information.Does anybody out there has any GOOD experince on this topic? Turntable>mixer>recorder by line input.This is the simplier form. Am I my correct?

Matt Whitlock
Hi Santiago,

Hi Santiago,

Our buddy Jeff wrote a piece on this not so long ago as he was trying to get some of his records to digital format. He's given lots of advice and thoughts on the process. It would be a great start: Transferring Audio Tapes or LPs to CD or MP3

On ways to do it, you can use PCs to make the conversion, and there are some turntables out there that connect via USB and include software to help. The other way is similar to what you've described Turntable --> Preamp/Receiver --> CD Recorder. Which way sounds better to you?

dans_repair_service
Matt, there is another way. 

Matt, there is another way.  Using the line level inputs on a sound card (high quality of course!!).  You would need a decent turntable and a phono pre-amp.  I have a number of customers that have gone this route (turntable sales for me, yea!) and have been very happy with the results.  Any turntable currently made that has USB capability is not likely to be the best at the turntable side.

Dan

Hugh Brown
  Go to DAK.com. They have 

Go to DAK.com. They have  an item that connects to your sound card and you can plug a cassette deck, minidisc player or a turntable into it . I've burned a number of CDs that way. The learning curve is a bit steep  but once you've done it a few times it gets easier. It costs only $70 and it got me to buy a new stylus for my 30+ year old turntable.  

Matt Whitlock
dans_repair_service said:

dans_repair_service said: Matt, there is another way.  Using the line level inputs on a sound card (high quality of course!!).  You would need a decent turntable and a phono pre-amp.  I have a number of customers that have gone this route (turntable sales for me, yea!) and have been very happy with the results.  Any turntable currently made that has USB capability is not likely to be the best at the turntable side. Dan

Of course, there are tons of ways to do just about anything. Going turntable to phono preamp to soundcard is included in "use PCs to make the conversion." I've found most have no idea what a phono preamp is or why one is necessary, so the USB turntables with software are a tad less intimidating to the noobs (and some even perform decently). You are correct though, and your solution does allow you to use an existing turntable which is a nice bonus. In fact, many receivers (and nearly all the older ones) include a built in phono preamp.

zapdbf
I have not tried this, but

I have not tried this, but the mic input on your sound card is similar in impedance to the pickup of a record player. You can bypass the pre-amp this way. It is more sensitive to line noise and you will need a good ground.  Although i use the pre-amp because i like to get my signal up to line level as soon as possible.  

dans_repair_service
While the mic level input

While the mic level input would provide the extra level of amplification, it would not provide the standard EQ levels of the phono pre-amp.  Phone pre-amps take into the account the resonant frequency response of typical pickups (or the lack there of...)

Dan

zapdbf
Any Frequency response issues

Any Frequency response issues could be handled through a digital eq. But since i have never analyzed it (or tried it) i can't know for sure. There is a program i use for audio capture that has presets for the mic input to be use as a phonograph pre amp. I don't think i would dismiss this out of hand without trying it first. It also depends on the pickup you are using and the sound card you are using, there are allot of variables here.

Santiago Colom
Thanks a lot for all the good

Thanks a lot for all the good information that I have received on regard to this article.Very instructive responses.

dans_repair_service
I agree with the above posts.

I agree with the above posts.  The EQ changes can easily be resolved with a digital EQ.  What I wanted to alert people to was the fact that it needed to be included.  It is the RIAA eq curve I believe.  If the program that you are using has presets for Phono, you are all set.  This is handled internally.

Dan

Matt Whitlock
Didn't think about using the

Didn't think about using the mic input for a turntable... brilliant workaround guys. Would love to see if anyone tries it and gets it to work. What the heck would you ground to though... I suppose the PC case would work?

zapdbf
Yes the pc case should work

Yes the pc case should work fine. But being a technician and always looking at problems, my worry would be that some people may have trouble with ground loops. Try to make sure the turntable is plugged into the same outlet strip as the computer, this will help cut down on this potential. Being that this is such a high impedance circuit it won't take too much to get a buzzzz.

Connect With Techlore