Sony KP51WS510 Convergence fixed, but flashing led.

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
miamied
Sony KP51WS510 Convergence fixed, but flashing led.

First i would like to thak Larry Dillion for all his help as well as others on this site. My Sony 51 tv woke up on morning and said "I will work no longer". The image was the famous bow tie effect caused by bad convergence on the set. This site was the one and only reason i was able to even figure out what was going on. I sent my D-board to Sony for repair and it only cost me about $65.00 with shipping. The hardest part was removing the D-board and the HV cables, which do not come off the piece on the D-board they are to be removed at the other end of both cables. Putting everything back together was snap, and the set works fine. The only convern i have is that it is flashing 4 times, I don't see any problems but maybe someone could shed some light on what i should be looking for. Thank you.

Larry Dillon
Does the light stop flashing

Does the light stop flashing after the set is on?

miamied
Larry Dillon said: Does the

Larry Dillon said: Does the light stop flashing after the set is on?

Yes it does, It only flashes when i turn on the set, and does not flash after.

Larry Dillon
Do not worry about it then.

Do not worry about it then. It happens sometime with older sets i am told, and never was an issue in the past.

pajohit
Larry - I have googled around

Larry - I have googled around and see that you are the leading internet authority on these rear projections with issues.  I have a sony KDP-51WS550 - the picture is fine but it seems as if it should be raised on the whole like one or two inches up.  You know how on a computer you can adjust the picture left, right, up and down, can you do this on this model television?  Any insight would be greatly appreciate from you or anyone else on here with any ideas.

Also if you have a service manual for this model i would greatly appreciate it if you could send it to [email protected].  Thanks in advance.

Larry Dillon
Are you sure of the model

Are you sure of the model number? How old is this TV set?

pajohit
Larry Dillon said: Are you

Larry Dillon said: Are you sure of the model number? How old is this TV set?

Actually i mixed up the model number, sorry about that, i tried to eyeball it off of a model off the internet but i just checked behind the actual TV itself and model number is actually KP-51HW40.  Thank you.

phil
Thatdude said: Larry Dillon

Thatdude said:

Actually i mixed up the model number, sorry about that, i tried to eyeball it off of a model off the internet but i just checked behind the actual TV itself and model number is actually KP-51HW40.  Thank you.

Hey having same issue can use some assistance where are these damn ic,s located this d-board know what ic.s look like but cannot locate them.  Who at sony did u contact? if u can help

jmcgrath
Bmbrdfrt said: Thatdude

Bmbrdfrt said:

Thatdude said:

Hey having same issue can use some assistance where are these damn ic,s located this d-board know what ic.s look like but cannot locate them.  Who at sony did u contact? if u can help

I have the same problem my tv is a KP51HW40.  I replaced the entire "D" board and it had no effect on the bowtie problem.  I just fired the tv up after replacing the board and the problem is exactly the same.  Is there something else I need to do, or try?  Thanks

Larry Dillon
jm, You need to check the

jm, You need to check the yellow pico fuses on the G board. One is most likely bad.

jmcgrath
Larry,

Larry,

We did indeed have a bad fuse.  Replaced it and we're as good as new (other than that fine tuning thing).  :-)

Thanks!

John

SeeLo
My sony kp-51ws510 has

My sony kp-51ws510 has started having color issues,the blues and yellows and greens are not lined up and the picture sometimes looks like I have a tracking issue if I were to be playing a VCR. I tried the alignment, but it did not help. I do not have any lights flashing or anything.
Is the board bad or do i need to replace the convergence board?
Thanks!

SeeLo
I have the same problem. My

I have the same problem. My sony kp-51ws510 has started having color issues,the blues and yellows and greens are not lined up and the picture sometimes looks like I have a tracking issue. I do not have any lights flashing or anything.
Is the board bad? Is it worth fixing?

JLong
I am having the same issue as

I am having the same issue as SeeLo. I cannot get my blue to line up with the yellow and red. The convergence does not work. I found this blog http://www.somelifeblog.com/2007/06/sony-projection-tv-red-line-repair.html which may help some of you but it doesn't help with my problem. Anyone have suggestions on how to adjust the blue so that it will line up with the other colors? Any help would be apprieciated.

RPatel
My sony TV KP-51HW40 gives

My sony TV KP-51HW40 gives red lines in picture. Initially when switching on it has normal picture and sound, but after few seconds it gets mad giving red lines at certain angle in picture. I tried adjust the red knob inside by slight turning off, for few minutes it is okay and then it has the same problems. Would you please gude me what should I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Larry Dillon
you ptobably need to replace

you ptobably need to replace the convergence IC"S first

JLong
I am having the same issue as

I am having the same issue as SeeLo. I cannot get my blue to line up with the yellow and red. The convergence does not work. I found this blog http://www.somelifeblog.com/2007/06/sony-projection-tv-red-line-repair.html which may help some of you but it doesn't help with my problem. Anyone have suggestions on how to adjust the blue so that it will line up with the other colors? Any help would be apprieciated.

RPatel
My sony TV KP-51HW40 gives

My sony TV KP-51HW40 gives red lines in picture. Initially when switching on it has normal picture and sound, but after few seconds it gets mad giving red lines at certain angle in picture. I tried adjust the red knob inside by slight turning off, for few minutes it is okay and then it has the same problems. Would you please gude me what should I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Larry Dillon
you ptobably need to replace

you ptobably need to replace the convergence IC"S first

JLong
Larry, what are convergence

Larry, what are convergence IC's? I found an article that says to change the fuses. Is that what you are talkinga about?

Redman
Hey larry....kinda looks like

Hey larry....kinda looks like the last thread for this set...lol. I'll help where I can 1. if you need the sercice manual go to the homepage here and click on techs corner to download the manual. 2. The convergence IC's are attached to the back side of the heat sink fins on the d board. 3. The pico fuses ARE different than the IC's. The fuses are are small and yellow and usualy have a 3.5 or 5 printed on them. the ic's will have a series of numbers on them and are black and square. HOpe this helps! Larry I need to know how to discharge the large red coil on the 'd' board so that not to end up looking like 'doc Brown' when i touch it. Any advice will be great. My unc is going to do the soldering on the fuses and IC's for me but I have to remove the boards and bring them to him.

CutsGT
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,

I have kp51ws510 Sony with a picture problem. The effect seems simlar to the bowtie effect mentioned by others but only for the green gun. I'm hoping you tell me it is a fuse problem like I see posted above. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Connect With Techlore