sony KP-51WS520 problems

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
jamnite
sony KP-51WS520 problems

i truned on my tv today and there was a red line running across the screen and it looks like ther is a line red line on the top and bottom of the main red line also there is a green tint on the screen any help would be great

harmony
(No subject)

harmony
(No subject)

harmony
(No subject)

zapdbf
if the line is stationary and

if the line is stationary and does not move at all it might be phosphor burn.  If it is phosphor burn, the red tube is not the one with the burn, it is either the blue or green. it looks like you had the vertical to collapse, this needs to be investigated as to why the vertical collapsed. On crt big screen televisions if you loose vertical deflection even for an instant the tube will have phosphor burn. Is the line completely stationary and not moving at all ? It could also be vertical collapse of the red tube? - that would make sense if you don't have any red anyplace else. and the red tube could have phosphor damage because of the collapse.  in this case it could be a bad connection between the red vertical yoke and the deflection board "D" board. I believe on this model the deflection yokes are connected all together so if it was a circuit failure all tubes would have this problem, also in sony the tv would code to protect the crt's. But i can see if one  wire was off the vertical yoke, it may not sense the loss of that load and it could come on.There may be other reasons but I can’t think of them at this time. … I will post more later. 

Larry Dillon
Yes I have seen this in the

Yes I have seen this in the past, green screen, red line. I'm afraid that not only do you have a vertical problem on this set, you are also going to have to replace this picture tube. Then you will need to see why the protection circuit did not blank the video. Although, I have seen a bad plug connection cause this, or a feed back capacitor cause this problem also. I'm afraid this repair is not going to be a cheap one. Good Luck

zapdbf
The vert yoke is connected in

The vert yoke is connected in series on this one, so if one yoke would be disconnected they all would fail at the same time.  I am only offering suggestions but it may be a bad video drive on one of the crt boards, the video drives will  blank the video when turning on or off the tv.  When the vertical and horizontal collapses the video drive is to blank the tube so it will not burn the phosphors of the crt.  At any rate you have burnt phosphors which will require replacement of the crt. and quite possibly a bad video drive ic, i don't recommend just replacing the crt, because you risk damaging the new crt. at any rate the repair is expensive in any case that was mentioned because of the damaged crt(s) Possibly the green drive ic is faulty. I would recommend a diagnostic by somebody local who can actually look at the set.

Larry Dillon
Oh OK, I do not remember the

Oh OK, I do not remember the model number or make of the set, but I see what your saying. But let me ask you, if one tube is damaged because of a vertical collapse, would not all have some sort of damage to them? I have seen this on many sets. I have also seen a tech disable the blanking and ruin all three tubes. He got fired for that one, and no it was not me, as I learned a long time ago not to ever disable any safety circuits, they are put there to prevent damage to other parts of the set.

zapdbf
Larry Dillon said: Oh OK, I

Larry Dillon said: Oh OK, I do not remember the model number or make of the set, but I see what your saying. But let me ask you, if one tube is damaged because of a vertical collapse, would not all have some sort of damage to them? I have seen this on many sets. I have also seen a tech disable the blanking and ruin all three tubes. He got fired for that one, and no it was not me, as I learned a long time ago not to ever disable any safety circuits, they are put there to prevent damage to other parts of the set.

When you turn the tv off the vertical will collapse, if the video driver is not working to stop emissions it will burn the phosphor on the tube that did not get blanked, and because of the failure of the drive ic, it could be overdriving the green causing the green tint picture. also the red line is a result of the lack of green in that position because of the phosphor burn.

Larry Dillon
OK I do see what your saying.

OK I do see what your saying. I have not seen this tube damage happen from a video driver, so it's a new one on me. Maybe I have been lucky. Although back when we were Sony authorized, there were no projection TV sets like this one. But I have had a lot of Sony's with a lot of weird different problems, I am always looking for new problems. We were authorized for just about every manufacture at one time, and we repaired a ton and a half of the sets where they used the SG 613 horizontal output. We even repaired them for other repair shops who did not know how to troubleshoot those TV sets. I have seen some techs who keep replacing the SG's without finding out why it is blowing out. Oh, by the way, I have read a few of your articles. Very nice indeed!

zapdbf
we have had a couple cross

we have had a couple cross our shop, although (and you know this but for the benefit of other reading) it could be something other than what i have mentioned.

thank you for the kind words!

zapdbf
the customer might have seen

the customer might have seen a bright flash on the screen when turning off the set for the first time.

Larry Dillon
Oh yes, that does make a lot

Oh yes, that does make a lot of since now. You need any info on any sets your not familiar with, let me know.

harmony
see i sent the tv in for

see i sent the tv in for repair for different resons and when i sent it in it did not have this problem any ways the tech called me and said that my warranty was void cause they said thier where mouse dropings in the tv. do u think the tech could have done somthing to the  tv also the line is stationary and the led blinks 5 times and only when the tv is off

Connect With Techlore