KP57HW40 convergence trouble

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigblock_ford
KP57HW40 convergence trouble

I have seen that some are people are having a convergence problem with their Sony rear projection tv and really have not seen an answer for my toubles. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice so that I am sure I am going in the proper direction. The tv seemed to have went to a triple vision, shoing the picture in a 3 color vision, (like 3-D). My conclusion was that it was not a tube but a more an aiming problem. I knew that there were only a few boards inside the tv itself and that the A board had been replaced not to long ago due to a bad tuner on it, this making it one less board that could be bad. We paid to have a service repair man come in to look at it and he stated the it was a "convergence problem". To repair it the D board would have to be removed and rebuilt with no cost estimate on this repair. I had already looked up and found that the board could be bought on line for less than $200 delivered to the house. I had the new board sent and I installed it  easily, or atleast I thought so. When I turned the set on I had the same problem of the convergence on the screen, I hit the flash focus but still no good. It was mentioned of the possibillity of a bad fuse, would this be on the D board? I know this tv is several years old but is seems a waste to throw it away for a minor problem. Could it be that the replacement board is no good or is it possible that the problem is somewhere else and not on the D board. Any help with a direction to proceed would be much appreciated. Also if I could get a copy of a service maunal it would really be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected]. If it is not possible, does anyone want to buy a nice Sony that needs some work..........    Thanks  Jim

zapdbf
when you replaced the board

when you replaced the board the dcu i believe is also on this board, if you have a good board  you will need to go into service mode and preform a convergence.  to get into service mode hit

<display><5><vol up><power> buttons with the tv set off. there are other key strokes you will need that i usaly don't memorize to bring up the cross hatch and preform the factory convergence.

also make sure the convergence yoke connectors are in the correct connector for each color if you have them reversed it will not converge.

bigblock_ford
First. let me say thank you

First. let me say thank you right from the start. Well I am happy to hear that all the convergence occurs on the D board, this means to me that I am working in the right direction. I had gone through the service mode with the key strokes that you say and all I saw there was a fault code system. From that point is there more keys that I have to hit to do a factory convergence. This tv has a flash focus button but that did not even do anything to help this problem. Also I double checked all of the connectors to be sure that they are installed properly.  Thanks again and I hope you can let me know where to go to from here.    Jim 

zapdbf
the flash focus will only

the flash focus will only work if the inital convergence is set up correctly. i will get  you the key functions to do this, but please note that if you are in the convergence mode and you are attempting to move lets say the green and another color moves insted, then the convergence yokes are not in the proper place. i just wanted to make that note because it is easy to plug them in wrong.

when you get it into the convergence mode try to move each of the three grids in the center, to see if your board is working properly,  both up,down, left, right, try it with all three colors and if all will move in all directions your board is fine. (also dubble check to make sure the color you are moving is the one that is moving on the screen)

That tv also has several diffrent resolutions and each resolution has it's own convergence.  

Be back with the adjustment

bigblock_ford
The yoke plugs on my set were

The yoke plugs on my set were actually color coded so that I really can't mess it up, but I will definately besure that the one I am adjusting is the proper color. And again thank you for all your help.  Jim

zapdbf
3. Operation Method for Fine

3. Operation Method for Fine Adjustment1) Select the PJE mode.2) Select FDIS so that the data at each position can be displayedin the fine adjustment mode, and set the data to “01”.3) Press “9” button on the commander, and the fine adjustmentmode will be active where a green marker appears inthe center of screen (in the case of GRN mode).4) Press joystick, and the marker color will be switched betweengreen (GRN mode) and white alternately.5) Use “1” or “4” button on the commander, or the joystickto move the marker to the position to be adjusted, where fineadjustment can be made.• When marker color is white.(in this case, fine adjustment is disabled) 1 : moves the marker clockwise from center to outside.4 : moves the marker counterclockwise from outside to center.• Fine adjustment can be made on the basis of markerposition using v, V, b, B directiom of the joystick. **  To save your settings hit muting + enter. (do this often) ** To get to PJE mode hit the 2 and 5 buttons to page between the catagories ** to get into service mode it is <display><5><vol up> <power>

Larry Dillon
If I may add something here,

If I may add something here, I always use a grid on the green and cover the other two colors first. If the green is not set up properly FIRST, it will be very very hard, if not impossible to set up the other two colors correctly. Good Luck

bigblock_ford
Hey Larry, what do you mean

Hey Larry, what do you mean by the "grid". Is this easy to understand during the setup or is this something that I really am going to have to be up on.  Thnak you for any help.  Jim

bigblock_ford
Hey Larry, what do you mean

Hey Larry, what do you mean by the "grid". Is this easy to understand during the setup or is this something that I really am going to have to be up on.  Thnak you for any help.  Jim

zapdbf
sorry i did not mention that

sorry i did not mention that but that is true, and align the other two crt's to the green

zapdbf
The grid will pop up when you

The grid will pop up when you get into convergence mode (cross hatch)

Larry Dillon
Yes it will, but there is

Yes it will, but there is also one you can buy to put on the green tube that is translucent to help you line up the green grid properly. I do not think Sony has any thing like that available but Samsung does. I have never had any problems using it with any set with 5" CRT'S

zapdbf
Larry Dillon said: Yes it

Larry Dillon said: Yes it will, but there is also one you can buy to put on the green tube that is translucent to help you line up the green grid properly. I do not think Sony has any thing like that available but Samsung does. I have never had any problems using it with any set with 5" CRT'S

ok, the "overlay". We don't use one for the sony's either. Hitachi is a diffrent matter.

Larry Dillon
I found though that using the

I found though that using the overlay on all sets is really a timesaver.

zapdbf
Larry Dillon said: I found

Larry Dillon said: I found though that using the overlay on all sets is really a timesaver.

in our shop we have a limited number of brands that we workon, sony,philips,pioneer,zenith and only philips, sony,pioneer big screens, so you get a feel for it with that narrow of a perspective. the only one i have trouble with is the philips with the hitachi chassis. That has to be the worst convergence procedure ever.

this is an accidmeic question for Larry on avrage how long does it take you to converge a sony tv from a complete neutral convergance. for me it is about 2-3 hours depending. but usally can get the set done in that time frame.

Larry Dillon
Thats a difficult one to

Thats a difficult one to answer, MMMM. I have spent hours on sets that folks think the service menu is the fix to all problems, specially for convergence problems. I have had peeps mess with yokes, center rings, almost everything to try and save a buck instead of replacing the bad IC's. On the normal picture tube replacement, where the set is pristine and no one has messed with it, I have replaced all three and I do the convergence after each tube swap, and I usually take about 20 to 45 minutes a tube. I hate to do the Hitachi, Philips, and RCA TV sets for convergence

bigblock_ford
OK guys I tried to do the

OK guys I tried to do the fine adjustment as the method above shows but it is not fixing the problem. I had sent back the D board to be checked to see if I received a bad one so they sent me a second board and it seems to be the same problem. I go to the FDIS mode and set the data to the 01. Then I push the 9 and get a small box that I can move around the screen with the joystick. What I don't see is the switching between the green and the white. I do get 2 different boxes but they are green and any of the other colors but not white. I also see the numbers change with the up and down or right and left of the joystick, but besides that there is no change of colors on the screen or movent on the grid. The green grid seems to be the largest on  the screen and the blue is close, but the red is smaller and bowed in on both ends. Is there a coarse adjustment or am I missing something. Is it possible that there could be more to this than the D board. My last resort could be that hunting season is coming and I could use it for target practice........  Any help from here would really be greatly appreciated.   Thanks Jim

Larry Dillon
Did you try and adjust this

Did you try and adjust this convergence when the set was bad? If you did, you have to just go over all of the alignments till you get it right. Remember to alway do the green first with a grid over the CRT and make sure the green is centered properly. i do have a Sony convergence procedure manual, but I am not sure if this will cover your set. If you want to take a look at it, leave an e-mail address and i will forward it to you, Good Luck 

bigblock_ford
Hey Larry,

Hey Larry,

When the convergence trouble started all we did was call a service tech. He looked at it and said that the D board had trouble and that was what I was seeing.  I asked if all the convergence comes off that board and he said yes, its easy just change the board it will just plug in. No one ever tried to change anything. I tried the new board and it look just like what the old one was doing, not knowing anything about trying an alignment. I thought that possibly they gave me a bad board so I sent it back for another one and I still have the same problem. Then you guys suggested and alignment so I followed the procedure from above but it still looks the same. I would love to try the manula that you have, anything is better than nothing. If all else fails can I get a manual on line. Thanks  jim  [email protected]

Larry Dillon
I will send it to you man,

I will send it to you man, the service manual, as well as the convergence manual.. Let us know how you make out with this.

bigblock_ford
OK guys I am still working on

OK guys I am still working on this problem and think I have tracked it down to another board. I would figure that this is the fuse for the +22v to the D board. It is the P55001, it is yellow and looks like it says 5000 on it. Is this the pico fuse I read about and where would I get one. Thanks   Jim

Larry Dillon
You can go mto a local repair

You can go mto a local repair place and ask them, or look up the part number and go to www.partstore.com. You will most likely pay a little more for it from the local repair shop, but you will get it a lot faster. Good Luck Oh by the way, are you able you think to follow those manuals I sent to you?

zapdbf
There is a 5 amp pico fuse on

There is a 5 amp pico fuse on the G board close to the connector, there are two of them side by side, one is the +22 the other is the -22

bigblock_ford
Larry,  I never received the

Larry,  I never received the manuals maybe try sending them to my other email [email protected]. Also zapdbf, yes there are 2  of these side by side and the good one was for the -22v. Are these available in a radio shack?

zapdbf
probably not, try MCM

probably not, try MCM electronics.

Larry Dillon
Yes MCM, or like I said try a

Yes MCM, or like I said try a local repair shop.

Connect With Techlore