Sony 53" Convergence issue

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
tvscreen
Sony 53" Convergence issue

I have a 53" sony-rear projection tv (KP53HS30). From couple of days, I see double images/3-d view or ghost pictures on the screen. I reset the Focus button on the panel, but nothing happened. I called Sony and I didn't like their response. They said, since you don't have warranty, call localt Eltectronics stores.  It is highly appreicated, if anyone can forward me the Service manual.  

I did some survey on Internet and found that replacing the convergence ICs would fix this issue. I want to know how difficult it is to replace or resolder the convergence ics for a layman with no electronics knowledge. I attempted to look at the circuit boards on the read and unable to locate where are those ICS and what part# I need to order. Where do I find the Circuit board diagram? Where can I order them? I called local repair techs and they say it would cost from 400-600. Is it worth to pay and get it fixed using a tech or it is something that would be easy for me to do. any help is appreicated.
thanks
PKML

Larry Dillon
If you have no soldering or

If you have no soldering or printed circuit board experience, and wish to keep the TV set, play it safe and call in a trained tech to assist you in the repair of this TV set. A service manual will not show you where the problem is or even help you repair the TV set. A schematic diagram, or whats also called a circuit diagram is only an aid for a trained tech to follow the circuit flow and to trace voltages and where they are suppose to be and to where they are not present.  If you are a layman or lets be nice and say you are a novice in repairing TV sets. STAY out of the TV set, as this is NOT the place to be experimenting inside of. There is way too many voltages present inside this TV set, EVEN when the TV set is unplugged from the wall. Good Luck with the repair of your TV set, and let us know if you get it repaired and what it took.

tvscreen
Hi Larry,

Hi Larry,

I bought the service manual ($25) and with the help of a friend, I was able to unplug and unscrew the D board, but I do not know how to remove two red wires (one thick one and one thin one) going into the left side of the D board (if we look from the rear of the TV) into a grey cylinder. I believe they are the voltage/power cords going into the D board. there was a black cap surrounding those wires. I could able to slide those caps, but unable to remove the red wires.  In the manual it was mentioned to turn 90 degrees, but it didn't help. Could hep me!!!!!!!!! thanks

tvscreen
Actually, it was the high

Actually, it was the high voltage  cable that was going into the D-board. I followed the steps in the manual, by rotating it to 90 degrees, but it didn't come out.  What would be the easy way to pull it? Any help?

zapdbf
tvscreen said: Actually, it

tvscreen said: Actually, it was the high voltage  cable that was going into the D-board. I followed the steps in the manual, by rotating it to 90 degrees, but it didn't come out.  What would be the easy way to pull it? Any help?

the manual is correct, you push down and turn, somtimes it can be stubbern you just have to be persistant.

Larry Dillon
I thought that cable only

I thought that cable only comes out of the high voltage distribution block, not the flyback transformer on the D board?

zapdbf
yes that is correct, i may

yes that is correct, i may have miss-read what he was saying but it seemed like he was trying to pull it out according to the manual and it says that the removal was on the distribution block. but "tvscreen" larry is absolutly correct don't try to remove it from the flyback side. push down and turn. that works for me but some of them can be a challenge to get out.

Larry Dillon
Yes they can be a real

Yes they can be a real problem sometimes, but make sure you peel back the rubber boot on the block and slide the boot up onto the wire before you push in and twist. It should release but some are dificult to get loose. ONLY on the distribution block, not from the D board, that wire stays there on the transformer.

tvscreen
Thanks for all the comments

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. As recommended by Larry, I was able to remove the high voltage cable from the distribution block. Inquired local TV repair centers for soldering. Charged ranged from 70-250.  Ordered the ICs for $40 from B&D Enterprises, Main Liberty Street,Russell, PA 16345 Tel: 1-800-458-6053.  Not from MCM, Canada based. Got the ICs soldered for $70.

Replaced the board. TV started normally. Good. Same convergence issue.  Bad. My issue was identical to another issue "SONY KP-57WS500 Convergence and Pincushion issue" posted by Rob on this Techlore site. Larry helped him a lot.  Those pictures were on the Website in that discussion as of 09/30/07. After I sent an email to Rob on that day, the pictures were removed the next day. If Larry may recall that issue, my TV picture was identical to those images posted by Rob. Picture is good in the center. top and bottom, right and left it shows a green color streak, and a pink color streak behind that green streak.

I looked at the Service Manual and I could go into service mode. What do I need to fix/adustment in Service mode to fix the convergence issue? Any suggestions or resoultions, highly appreciated.

thanks again Larry

Nismo
I also have a 3d view

I also have a 3d view/ghosting effect on the same sony model. I am in the same situation, I can access the service mode, but then I do not know which values need to be changed.

Can someone please help and let me know if this problem can be solved by correctly changing the necessary values in the service menu??

Larry Dillon
No Nismo. You will NOT be

No Nismo. You will NOT be able to correct your problem with the service menu. The service menu is not a fix all for convergence problem. As a matter of fact, without a service manual, you should not even be in the service mode. If you do insist on going in the service mode and make adjustment, that you will find will not correct your problem, you will be sorry after you do replace the convergence IC's, as the alignments will all be out and you will need to start from from the beginning with the alignments. Fix the problem with the set first man. You will need to change both of the convergence IC's. Read the two links I am going to send you first. Good Luck with your repair.

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony-TV-has-a-distorted-picture-/

http://www.techlore.com/article/19631/Sony-Convergence-Procedure/

Nismo
Thank you Larry, I know your

Thank you Larry, I know your trying to help but I really only have 2 options with my Sony at this point.

1) To try to fix it myself through the service menu

2) To get rid of the set

After reading some post (including this one) I realized that I should not even think about opening up the set myself since I have no real soldering experience and I definitely dont want to get zapped!

But I am extremely careful and have recorded each sub-category value for my KP53HS30 under the PJE setting. The only problem I have now is that I do not know which subcategory changes the GREEN and BLUE grids so that I can align them with the RED which I easily changed. I have not saved any of my settings just recorded them for future use if necessary. If anyone has information on the settings to change the green and blue grid (forward and back) with this model please let me know! I would be grateful =)

Thanks again Larry

zapdbf
The document he linked you to

The document he linked you to above Sony Convergence Procedure, shows you how to switch between colors, but if your set is malfunctioning the adjustmens will not move the malfunctioning colors. A set good working convergence circuit will not be that far off, you will only need to tweek it over it's lifetime. So the adjustment is impossible if the ic's are bad

Nismo
Understood, I tried to change

Understood, I tried to change the green and blue grid values today and they didnt respond Frown

Would you guys recommending performing the factory default as the last effort (Service menu - 8 and then enter? I'm not sure if it will help and can I recover from this as well... 

Now I need to try to get it fixed, does anyone know how much it would be to get this fixed?

I'm assuming it will be $300-$600 based on what I read, is this amount right?

zapdbf
It depends on the shop, and

It depends on the shop, and if they will fix the board or replace the board. but that price range is close i would guess.

zapdbf
"Would you guys recommending

"Would you guys recommending performing the factory default as the last effort (Service menu - 8 and then enter? I'm not sure if it will help and can I recover from this as well... " -- again if the colors will not move, this will have no effect in helping you fix this problem.

Nismo
Thanks zapdbf

Thanks zapdbf

I meant to say what would happen if I went to service menu and put 7, enter because I heard this would reset it to factory. I say this because it seems as if my colors are getting more and more messed up.. Just wanted to know if others had tried this, I know it wont help my set be back to full form but a couple of days ago it was messed up but not too bad. Either way thanks for the help

Larry Dillon
Do not mess with any

Do not mess with any adjustments man. You will be sorry in the end if you do. . Change the convergence IC's before you do anything else.  Follow the instructions in the links I am leaving for you. Great how to do instructions and for the convergence after the replacement of the convergence IC's. Good Luck

http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony-TV-has-a-distorted-picture-/

http://www.techlore.com/article/19631/Sony-Convergence-Procedure/

rishi23
I have kp61v75 projection tv.

I have kp61v75 projection tv. Couple of weeks ago, convergence is out of line. But, it comes back to normal on its own for couple of days and again out of line for couple of days. Seems as if there is something loose. I opened the tv from the back there are two big circuit boards in the back side by side. Can you please advise, how to fix the problem.

Connect With Techlore