sony kp65wv600 convergence problem

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Den2000
sony kp65wv600 convergence problem

Help!!  I have a 4 year old Sony KP65WV600 tv.  It developed a convergence problem (red image displaced from the others in an arc at the bottom of the screen and top left distortion) so I called out a service tech who accessed some service pages whereupon the problem disappeared.  Now, a few days later, the problem has reappeared - the tech has tried accessing the service pages again - this time with no effect and the tech has disappeared mumbling "you've got a real problem"!  Is this the famous 'IC's in the convergence board' problem? If so why did it fix itself once?  Any idea where I can get a service manual?

Larry Dillon
It could be that the set has

It could be that the set has bad convergence IC's now, as you should have had it looked at for bad connections after it fixed itself. the connections on some IC's get hot and break away from the Printed circuit board. This really should not really be a big thing. Replace the IC's and hopefully the tech did not adjust the convergence out of whack that much. Good Luck

Den2000
Larry

Larry

Thanks for the input. In a response to someone else you suggested sending Board D to PTSCORP for them to repair - that seems like a good idea to me! I am in the process of removing the board but there is, what looks like, a high voltage transformer with two red leads coming out of it in the corner of the board. I can't get the leads out and I'm afraid of wrecking something - any help would be appreciated. Also, any tips on disconnecting the many connectors on the board would also be appreciated 

Larry Dillon
The big lead on the high

The big lead on the high voltage transformer, you simply push down on the wire, as it is spring loaded, and at the same time rotate the wire counter clockwise. This is in the service manual my friend.

Den2000
Larry,

Larry,

Thanks for the help.  Does the small lead get removed the same way?  

As must be obvious I do not have a service manual - any idea where I can get one? 

Den2000
Larry

Larry

This is just to let you know how things turned out for me - I removed the 'D' board and sent it to PTS Corp. The board was returned yesterday and the TV is now working just fine. They charged $95 plus shipping. So a lot better than paying around $1700 for a new TV! My thanks to you for all the good information gleaned from this forum. 

In case anybody else wants to do the same thing:

Don't waste time with PTS Corp's web site - I don't think they even monitor contacts from it. Just call them.

When removing the connectors from the board mark them to identify where they go (there are identical connectors that go to different places).

The high voltage (red) leads from the FBT are best removed from their destinations (not from the FBT). The small lead is a push connector and the big lead is (as you said) removed by twisting (spring loaded).

There is a connector from the 'D' board to the adjacent board (underneath the 'AD' board) that is tough to get at but must be disconnected before the board is moved or it might be damaged.

Hope this helps some other poor soul! 

Larry Dillon
Glad to hear you repaired

Glad to hear you repaired your TV set Den, and thanks for the supportive feedback. I am sure it will help someone else, and this is what techlore is all about.

mattmell
Den2000,

Den2000,

Did you have to discharge the CRT before removing the red wires from the FBT?

Den2000
I always use a grounded lead

I always use a grounded lead to check for stray high voltage before touching anything but in my case all was ok. Note that I removed the leads from their destinations not the FBT itself.

DanZ
Larry 

Larry 

I have a similar problem.  I want to know how did you knoe it was the D board.  Also did PTS corp just repair the one board.  I am sorry to bother you but this just happened to me yesterday.

Thanks,

Dan

ecgineer
I have a sony s/n kp65vw600

I have a sony s/n kp65vw600 with a dominant blue line when it flashes through a dark screen. Can anyone offer advice on how to fix it??
-ec

zapdbf
ecgineer - a better

ecgineer - a better description will help, if you are talking about a blue retrace line seen in a dark scene. than it could be several things, try putting the tv on one of your inputs that are not used, you may be able to see the blue line better, if this is what you are talking about , you can try to adjust your screen down a little, the controls are located under the front panel, you have to remove the front cover, then a small wood cover, then you will see the controls, adjust the blue screen down. This may only help for a while, you may have another problem learking.

DanZ
Den2000 said: I always use a

Den2000 said: I always use a grounded lead to check for stray high voltage before touching anything but in my case all was ok. Note that I removed the leads from their destinations not the FBT itself.

I sent my D board to PTS corp and they fixed the TV.  Not bad for about 150.00 total.

DanZ
Den2000 said: I always use a

Den2000 said: I always use a grounded lead to check for stray high voltage before touching anything but in my case all was ok. Note that I removed the leads from their destinations not the FBT itself.

I sent my D board to PTS corp and they fixed the TV.  Not bad for about 150.00 total.

Larry Dillon
Thats great news! Thanks for

Thats great news! Thanks for the feedback.

Dmjasmith
Thanks for all the

Thanks for all the information here guys. With all of this info, and some other info I picked up from a google search I determined my KP65WV600 had convergence issues. I replaced the 2 STK392-560's, and also did some voltage checks and noticed 2 pico fuses were blown (+19V and -19V output on the power supply board). TV is as good as new. I also cleaned my lenses, and that seemed to revive the brightness of the picture. She will be 4 yrs old in May, so if yours is getting close to this age be on the lookout. I read on another post about a guy with the same issue, occurring at 4 years almost to the day.  I have some electronics experience, so it was a piece of cake for me. MCM had the IC's for $13.50 each. If you plan to give it a try, I recommend checking voltages clearly printed on the board. This will save you a second trip to the electronics store.

Feels good to fix something on your own. Thanks again.

BTW, I also had the blue retrace line at the bottom of the screen on dark pictures. I read somewhere to open the front of the TV and turn down the blue pot just to the point of it disappearing. This worked for me as well. No more blue line.

marlon
I have a recurring

I have a recurring convergence problem with my KP65WV600.  I have had the set for 2 years now and the picture was beautiful.  I rarely even had to use the flash focus feature.  For the last two weeks the convergence has been off.. first red then blue. At first I was able to just use the flash focus feature but after a while I had to manually adjust the convergence.  The last three days I have had to do it everytime I turn on the set and sometimes it would stay fine until I was done watching but  at times would need adjusting while i was watching.  The problem seems to be getting worse.  I have heard that it might be the IC's and if so am willing to do it myself but would like to know what you think it is.  Also, do you know how hard they are to replace and if there is a good place online to order them?  Are there any pdf's online that can walk me through the process?  The tv is so big i cant bring it in to a place and having someone come take a look is way to expensive.  PLEASE HELP HELP HELP

Larry Dillon
There is no walk through for

There is no walk through for this, I'm afraid, you have to have some solid state printed ciruict board repair experience or read these threads I am sending you. they are not hand holding walk throughs but should give you an idea on how to do it. Good Luck
http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony...
http://www.techlore.com/blog/entry/19694/Sony-Convergence-Repair-My-Sony...
You can also get some great advice from here by asking questions.

sue2u2
Does anyone know how to

Does anyone know how to ground the tv so I can take the d board out? I realize these post are some what dated but my tv just deveolped this problem. thanks Sue

** i HAVE READ THROUGH ALOT OF THE ARTICLES AND GROUND THE SET SEEMS TO DIFFERENT FOR EACH OCCASION? i NEED SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS TV. (KP65-WV600)PLEASE HELP

sue2u2
I am assuming this clip below

I am assuming this clip below pertains to this model what i need to be sure of is do i need to discharge mthese tubes if i am removing the d board or is there a way to do a simpler step of grounding to remove the d board? please help.

If you are working on a CRT type projection TV set, you have three picture tubes that should be discharged to prevent accidental shock. You can discharge the picture tubeÂ’s anode at any of the R, G, or B outputs on the High Voltage distribution block only by:

First connecting one end of an insulated clip lead to the ground on the back of the picture tube, or the mounting plate of the picture tube.

Then touch the other end of the insulated clip lead to the wire coming out of the High voltage distribution block, or by using a long handled screwdriver, with the clip lead attached and slid up underneath the rubber boot on the picture tube High Voltage connection.
All TV sets that have a picture tube will have a high voltage transformer with a heavy red wire that runs up and connects to the picture tube with a suction cup. Under there is an average of 32,000 volts when the sets on. Even when the set is off, it can hold a large electrical charge. If it zaps or bites you, it can make a grown man cry, and not only that, can stop your heart! Therefore, the point is to never ever stick a screwdriver under the HV cap even if it is unplugged.

If the cap has to be removed, attach one end of a clip lead to the metal exposed strap that is around the picture tube, and the other end to the screwdriver. Without the metal blade of the screwdriver being exposed to you, slide the screwdriver under the cap slowly. There should be a little pop if there is any voltage left. Wait for a second or two, remove the screwdriver, and pinch the top of the cap perpendicular to the wire while pulling up on it. Never pull on the wire. With the cap off, clip the clip lead to the anode connection on the tube while the other end stays on the grounding strap.

Alnp
Make sure the set is

Make sure the set is unplugged and has been off for a while.
Do not try to slide a screwdriver up under the rubber suction cup on the crt, those are siliconed on. Label, then take the wires out of the distribution block one at a time and touch the exposed end to the metal crt rack.

sue2u2
sony convergence problem kp65

sony convergence problem kp65-wv600
September 22, 2008 6:32 PM

Make sure the set is unplugged and has been off for a while.
Do not try to slide a screwdriver up under the rubber suction cup on the crt, those are siliconed on. Label, then take the wires out of the distribution block one at a time and touch the exposed end to the metal crt rack.

Mitsubishi WS-55513, Philips 55pp9352/17

Thank you for the response as the only other place i could find this info was on you tube and from what you stated the video i viewed although well executed is entirely wrong for this particular set.You may very well have saved me from damaging the set even more as well as saving my life.I find this site to be extremely informative but do wish there was a monkey see monkey do (video's)section. :) thanks again

lyndan
hello

hello

i have a Sony KP65wv600 5 years old i have constantly had service tech come out and adjust the red arc's that appear on top and bottom of screen just 4 months ago they fixed this problem but it returned shortly after and now the screen displays blue solid color for about 4 seconds and than a clicking sound as is tv is shutting off but you can still hear the sound of the program so tv really isn't shutting off. Help what could the problem be....

Thank you
Lyndan

JK72167
I have a Sony KP65WV600. I

I have a Sony KP65WV600. I have replaced the Covergence chips and no my issue is when trying to do the covergence alignment in service mode the Blue will not move far enough left to allow me to align it with the red and green. I have the left adjustment maxed out at 127 for every set of blocks and still I cannot get it to move far enough left. I hope that makes sense... Any Ideas??

layne345
Thanks to all in this forum

Thanks to all in this forum contributing to the Sony KP65WV600 convergence problem. I had experienced this issue on my 5 year old unit. Rather than go cross eyed with a soldering iron I chose to use PTS corp to refurbish my board. Nice people, 99 bucks plus shipping and handling and my board came back in a couple of weeks. Great packaging, clean and I notice by the solder joints about 7 components replaced (including the two convergence ic's).

Plugged everything back in last night, image was straight but still had blue lines on the screen, referenced this forum and resolved it with an adjustment to the blue crt and the TV looks like it did brand new 5 years ago (took the opportunity to clean the lenses also).

I would highly recommend going the refurb route, 45 mins to dissasemble, an hour to re-assemble and adjust, 99 bucks and all is well.

Thanks again everyone

JK72167
I have a Sony KP65WV600. I

I have a Sony KP65WV600. I have replaced the Covergence chips and no my issue is when trying to do the covergence alignment in service mode the Blue will not move far enough left to allow me to align it with the red and green. I have the left adjustment maxed out at 127 for every set of blocks and still I cannot get it to move far enough left. I hope that makes sense... Any Ideas??

layne345
Thanks to all in this forum

Thanks to all in this forum contributing to the Sony KP65WV600 convergence problem. I had experienced this issue on my 5 year old unit. Rather than go cross eyed with a soldering iron I chose to use PTS corp to refurbish my board. Nice people, 99 bucks plus shipping and handling and my board came back in a couple of weeks. Great packaging, clean and I notice by the solder joints about 7 components replaced (including the two convergence ic's).

Plugged everything back in last night, image was straight but still had blue lines on the screen, referenced this forum and resolved it with an adjustment to the blue crt and the TV looks like it did brand new 5 years ago (took the opportunity to clean the lenses also).

I would highly recommend going the refurb route, 45 mins to dissasemble, an hour to re-assemble and adjust, 99 bucks and all is well.

Thanks again everyone

JK72167
Ok...So, I have now replaced

Ok...So, I have now replaced the Convergence chips on my old board. Still Convergence issues. So I ordered a new "D" board directly from sony. Still the blue wont adjust in. I then called in a local TV repair guy who told me he thought the new board was defective because the blue will adjust in wide mode but in normal mode there is no blue adjustment in the middle of the screen. He told me picture tube ...ect..all was good. So Sony sent in a secong new "d" board. Same issue...Blue will not adjust far enough left in normal mode in the middle section of the screen. Any suggestions? Please help..I am now 350 doallars into the repair of this tv and still no resolution!!

Tom9
Can anyone tell me how to get

Can anyone tell me how to get the front panel off of the kp-65wv600 so that i can get to the adjustments for blue lines.

Larry Dillon
Do NOT!!!! try and do any

Do NOT!!!! try and do any adjustments until you replace the convergence IC's!!!!! The adjustments do not go out unless the IC's are bad , and if you try and do an adjustment you might get the alignment out so much that once you do replace the IC's you will never get it back into specs.

JJH
Hi All, is there a number or

Hi All, is there a number or website for PTS Corp?

Pages

Connect With Techlore