AKAI PTH5498 convergance

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigmatt
AKAI PTH5498 convergance

Akai 54 projection tv has shadows on images on left and right.  convergance adjustment works on center, center top, center bottom.  right bottom barley moves.  left top,right top,left bottom wont move.  any ideas on how to fix? bought it used cheap!!!  if repairable will it work with any game platforms like PS3,xbox?????

Larry Dillon
What you need to do, if you

What you need to do, if you have any experience working on solid state printed circuit boards, is to replace both of the STK392-040 convergence correction amp IC's. These Inc's go bad in a lot of TV sets. They both need to be replace together. But look on the printed circuit board first and see if you see any liquid on the convergence board or any other board around. If not proceed to the convergence IC's.  But if you do see any liquid, or any indication of any oily substance, repair the gaskets on the picture tubes first or replace the picture tubes. This could be a very costly proposition. I would recommend to go HERE to find the right replacement IC's. You want to make sure you only replace the IC's with true Sanyo parts. there are a lot of peeps out there selling the Sanyo rejects that do not last very long, so if the IC's you get do not say Sanyo on them, send them back! If you have no solid state repair experience, play it safe and call out a pro to assist you in this repair. And by the way, this TV set is not a HI-def model, so you will not have any component jacks or HDMI type jacks for any accessories. You can of course use the composite video(red, white, and yellow) jacks or an RF adaptor to play your video games. Good Luck and let us know how you make out with this TV set.

bigmatt
i've read blogs where people

i've read blogs where people were fixing the convergance boards and swaping them between TV's to see if it fixed the problem.  is there a cost effective replacment board or do you have to buy chips to solder in?

Larry Dillon
You can go to ptscorp.com and

You can go to ptscorp.com and see if they repair or overhaul these boards. There are no universal boards that I know of per-say. You will need to contact Akai about the replacement parts for this set, if they are even still available.

Da Mail Man
greetings,

greetings,

i am new to this board and new to "big tv's" and need more of an opinion at this time. i have been given the opportunity to purchase a akai pth 5498 tv and i have looked at many a thread in many places and the more i read the more my head spins.

what i have read is that this set is a high def set (see http://www99.epinions.com/pr-Akai_PTH5498_54_in_Rear_Projection_Television/display_~full_specs  ) and in another place i have read that it is not.

my intent is to connect basic cable to the set and "let 'er rip" . will i have a lousey picture like i have read and with contradisctions to that statement in other places, or wil it be ok?

what should i check for PRIOR to purchasing this set should i choose to do so?..anything i have to do with it after i get it home?...any input would be appreciated and if i asked questions in the wrong area of this forum, accept my appollogies.

mdw
While installing a new

While installing a new convergence board on PTH5498, everything was going fine and then I had a problem. On the old unit there was a white wire that has a small terminal connection towards the front of the the tv. The problem I have is the a black wire lead came off the board, and now I am not sure where to plug in the the new lead and the black lead? Can anyone help me with this?

The part that the terminal connections go to is the "Module focus pack". It has 1 black lead, 1 white lead (on new part it is red), and 4 red leads.  Below is the configuration of the terminals;

O Black or white? (E)

O - Red (DF)

O  Red wire (Red CRT)     O  Red (Green CRT)    O Red (Blue CRT)

O Black or white ? (IN)

Do not want to hook up or I might fry the new board? Went on techlore to the samsung service manual, but haven't found the wiring diagram on it as of yet? Any help would be appreciated!

dannvirginia
My AKAI PTH5498 looks like it

My AKAI PTH5498 looks like it blew a resistor or a diode on the main board. I cannot identify the part only that it came from a slot labled j15(6?)(I can't read the last number) between a jumper labled j180 and what looks like a cap labled c454. A chip (eight prong) labled KA4558 - V208C is also bubbled and needs replacing. Are there schematics available for this model, or can anyone please identify the part I'm missing? any help would be greatly appreciated, Dan

Larry Dillon
sorry I could not help you on

sorry I could not help you on this one as we do not have a manual. If you do, please post it on the manual download in the technician's corner thread, under the resources tab on the home page.

J Cossio
There are yellow stains in

There are yellow stains in the borders of the screen and I was told that I need to replace the CRT Blue tube on a PTH 5498 Akai 54

J Cossio
There are yellow stains in

There are yellow stains in the borders of the screen and I was told that I need to replace the CRT Blue tube on a PTH 5498 Akai 54

rpdiddy3000
The picture of my pth 5498 is

The picture of my pth 5498 is showing only in red and green with a shadow...can anyone assist?

Connect With Techlore