Alba DVD74 keeps ejecting disk

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pamal Sharma
Alba DVD74 keeps ejecting disk

When I put an Audio or DVD disk in, it just blinks the testing light and spits it out again. I've taken the top off and it looks like the disk is never spun. Wondering if the laser does not detect it and so the motor is not run, or is it that motor is not working and so the laser never comes on???Thoughts most welcome.Pamal

backtoskooldaze
Hi Pamal,I have just bought

Hi Pamal,I have just bought an Alba dvd74 and funny thing is when putting a dvd film or music disc in the red light flashes as though it is reading the disc but then it states no disc???? I can not hear any noise from the dvd player to indicate whether the disc is spinning?? can you tell me if you sorted your player out as you seem to have the same problem as me apart from mine does not spit the disc out it stays put? Cheers :)

Pamal Sharma
Hi, Backtoskooldaze

Hi, Backtoskooldaze

I have not solved it - mine's 18 months old, so I have had some use. However, the behaviour of yours is uncannily similar to mine - mine also flashed the LED. You may wish to take the thing apart like I did and insert the DVD/CD in there whilst you've got it open - usual precautions on working with the unit open as it will be LIVE when plugged in, of course ... I haven't enough money to be sued!!! In fact all I seem to have is debts to the mortage company! Wink

Likewise caution with the laser.  As you're on this forum, I assume you are OK to do these. If not, don't take any risks!

I unscrewed the DVD unit itself from the base (but all cables still connected) and inserted the disk in. It clamps the disk and lowers and raises the read head fine when the disk is inserted, but the disk does not start to spin and the head does not do the normal transversal test from outermost to innermost radial position. I checked that the stepper motors get some voltage as the disk goes in and there is some change. No idea what the voltages should be so I can't tell if it's good, bad or ugly - just that it DOES change. It's almost as if it does not see thatthere is a disk there.

If your unit behaves the same, maybe it's a design flaw.

Best of luck - let  me know if you get any joy.

dans_repair_service
In all probability, the laser

In all probability, the laser has a problem.  The normal sequence of events is to 1) start the laser and check for the presence of a disc. 2) Spin up the disk to read hte table of contents (TOC)  Step 2 may include seeking over the whole disk, but not always.  Please note that some players spin the disk without the initial laser test.

Try spinning the disk by hand while trying to play the disk.  If the spindle motor has a bad spot in it, it may not be able to start the disk.

Keep us posted.

Dan

backtoskooldaze
Hi Dana_repair :) I have

Hi Dana_repair :) I have tried spinning the disc with my finger lightly and thats when sometimes the disc will start to spin up and the laser glows red but when the disc is spinning lie mad it then spins down and nothing thats when i get the disc error on the screen.I am debating whether it is the spindle or the laser but like you said it sounds like the laser not lighting up quick enough to start the read process then the spin should kick in?

Like i mentioned before every time i insert the disc i can see the spindle wants to spin as it moves a fraction so then i am thinking the motor on the spindle is ok? and the laser is not reading straight away? I have cleaned the lens with a cotton bud and some lens cleaner solution and will give the drive another go some time today but i have email spare parts at Alba and a full relpacement drive mech is £15 so i might do that if all fails.

Cheers :)

Pamal Sharma
Hi, both

Hi, both

I tried spinning the disk manually when I had it open and it would not go. Maybe we both have different problems. The Laser definitely does not light up on mine.

I am not going down the spare parts route as it would not be cost-effective for me - I only paid £25 for it new! Time for a new HDD PVR/DVD combo, but I'll keep this one for fiddling. You never know, I made an old VCR work eventually and long Winter evening entertainment is needed!

Thanks for your input, guys - most appreciated.

Pamal

backtoskooldaze
Hi Pamal,In order to get the

Hi Pamal,In order to get the disk spinning manually you have to be quick and spin the disk as soon as you press eject or play to close the door with the disk in.A few attempts to acheive it and you will only see the red laser light glow if you take the plastic bar thing off that covers the disk there is a screw on each end it sits the disk on the spindle but temporarily off you will be ok the disc won't fly off LOL I am now convinced it is my laser or the laser motor because when the draw shuts the spindle wants to spin but only moves a fraction and the lens itself does not move on the bars but if i move the laser to the back of the plastic case and insert a disc the draw closes and the laser moves to read the disc but does not move again i can see the brushes in the motor try to move?

I used to not slag cheap brands down as some cheap electrical items can out live an expensive brand but this Alba has put me off! 

Pamal Sharma
Hi, again

Hi, again

I did take the bar off - I'll take anything apart for bit of fun!

I think the disk is a bit loose there, but did not seem to want to spin.

I agree with you on the Alba. This was origianlly a gift for my Mother to introduce her to the digital world and she used it for 18 months. I replaced it for her with a Philips and a 3 year no quibble replacement guarante. Even all that cost less than £50.

Now I have something to fiddle with, so we're both happy :-)

backtoskooldaze
Pamal,LOL you are making me

Pamal,LOL you are making me laugh "i will take anything apart" you sound just like me i can't let something go until i have completely ruined it or mended it LOL

The disk will seem delicate with the plastic bar of so be careful because it will come off the spindle easily but once the disc does start to spin it will stay as long as you don't touch it while it is moving but do look for the laser to see if it lights and have a closer look at the disk for slight movement when pressing play or closing the draw with the disc in you will see the disc seems like it wants to move and the laser should glow?

I bet you have the exact problem as me it seems almost identical?

Connect With Techlore