pt-47wx53

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
thecoach1999
pt-47wx53

My Panasonic is 4 years old. The other day the screen turned red and then shut off. I tried to turn it back on but nothing happens. I unplugged the TV and then it turns on then off. It won't turn on unless I unplug it. The red power light flashes 3 times. I called Panasonic to see if they could tell me what that meant, but they refered me to serive. I waited three days and tried again, this time the tv came on the menu appeared, then shut off. Any ideas

Larry Dillon
Three flashes on the front of

Three flashes on the front of the TV set means you have bad convergence IC's in the set. they both will need to be replaced. If you have any soldering experience, you should first get the service manual to locate the parts you need and to do any minor alignment that might need to be done after the IC's are replaced. These IC's should be replaced with original; SANYO IC's, and not some inexpensive aftermarket type IC. The original sanyo IC's can be purchased from mcmelectronics.com.  The service manual can be purchased from HERE. The manual is about 17 bucks for the downloaded version.  If you can read a schematic, and think you can do this, send me a copy and I will see if I can assist you in this repair. But I highly stress, if you have not done any soldering on a printed circuit board, please play it safe and call out a pro to assist you in this repair. Good Luck with this TV set, and let us know how you made out with this repair.

thecoach1999
Thanks Larry. My tech guy

Thanks Larry. My tech guy just took the guts with him. He said the same as you. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know the final fix

Thanks

Larry Dillon
Why did he not simply fix it

Why did he not simply fix it in the home?  This should be a home repair. The only reason they take the guts to the shop would be to charge more or the road tech is not a qualified tech. Should be a 250 to 300 dollar job, as the parts do not cost more then 20 bucks.

thecoach1999
He has to order the parts. I

He has to order the parts. I'm in a small town and he gets his parts from the city. He has already quoted me 25 for the IC's and 80 for the repair. so 120 plus tax suits me.

Thanks again

Sunrise
Larry Dillon said: Oh OK,

Larry Dillon said: Oh OK, You found an honest man!

I have a similar problem.  My TV went blank with no sound and now comes up , after re-applying power , with the power led linking 3 times and going off for 4 sec, thhen repeating.  I have no sound or picture. 

I replaced the two convergence power amp IC's about 6 mo ago.  Are you sure this is what the 3 blinks mean is the problem?

thanks 

Larry Dillon
Yes it is. Did you get the

Yes it is. Did you get the original replacement IC's? Do the IC's have Sanyo written on them? Also did you put a good coating of heat sink compound on the back of the IC's? If no to one of these questions, that is why the ICs are bad.

Sunrise
Larry Dillon said: Yes it is

Larry Dillon said: Yes it is. Did you get the original replacement IC's? Do the IC's have Sanyo written on them? Also did you put a good coating of heat sink compound on the back of the IC's? If no to one of these questions, that is why the ICs are bad.

I got the two parts (STK392-110) from Electronix Online for $6 each (cheap!!).  No they did not have Sanyo written on them.  Is the original part a Sanyo part?.  Yes I did put adequate sink compound..........what I thought was better than the original.  Why would both of these go  ---------seems like there could be another problem.  Do both usually go?    When I replaced them last time, the symptom was different in that I had a fuzzy picture with sound.   This time the picture started getting fuzzy , went out totally, and the sound went off.  No picture or sound this time.  But I do have the 3 blinks on the front panel led.   BTW, my tv is PT-47WX53.

thanks again, Bill 

Larry Dillon
You used whats called

You used whats called aftermarket or manufacturer rejects. The picture and sound went out because the IC's shorted this time and probably blew a fuse or a circuit protector. Do not replace the fuse or circuit protector before you replace the IC's, as you will blow up the main power supply. All IC's are not all alike, even with the same numbers on them. Those types of IC's are made in China, and we all know how well they are making things these days. That is why they went out. These cheapo IC's always do this. Sometimes you will get lucky and get a good one but why take a chance. Best place to get these ICs is HERE. Get two more IC's and replace them. Then check all the fuses in the power supply and the resistors around the convergence IC's.

Sunrise
Larry Dillon said: You used

Larry Dillon said: You used whats called aftermarket or manufacturer rejects. The picture and sound went out because the IC's shorted this time and probably blew a fuse or a circuit protector. Do not replace the fuse or circuit protector before you replace the IC's, as you will blow up the main power supply. All IC's are not all alike, even with the same numbers on them. Those types of IC's are made in China, and we all know how well they are making things these days. That is why they went out. These cheapo IC's always do this. Sometimes you will get lucky and get a good one but why take a chance. Best place to get these ICs is HERE. Get two more IC's and replace them. Then check all the fuses in the power supply and the resistors around the convergence IC's.

ok, I'll go and buy the original IC's and your explanation sounds resonable.   Now, to go find if a fuse or circuit protector is bad............. will visual inspect and check all fuse's with an ohm meter. 

Larry Dillon
Yes look at the schematic and

Yes look at the schematic and you can see where the two voltages go to the IC's. Then trace that back to the power supply and check there for pico fuses or circuit protectors.

Sunrise
OK.........success.  I

OK.........success.  I replaced the IC's with original parts (at least I think so) and it  works perfectly.  Guess those IC's are high failure rate parts.  Got to work on my soldering skills, ha....never was too good at that although I am an electrical engineer (retired). 

btw, how  difficult is it to replace the lamps ....their ok for now but just  looking down the road. 

Thanks Larry for your help.   

Larry Dillon
Great to hear. Hope you

Great to hear. Hope you bought them from a reliable source! And of course, your welcome. Glad to assist.

Sunrise
Larry Dillon said: Great to

Larry Dillon said: Great to hear. Hope you bought them from a reliable source! And of course, your welcome. Glad to assist.

My TV appears to have failed again, after only 4 mo.  I think this is a bad design i.e. the IC's are just getting too hot!!

Larry Dillon
Did you replace them with

Did you replace them with those original 6 dollar IC's?

Sunrise
No, I got them from the link

No, I got them from the link you provided above----

""Best place to get these ICs is HERE.  ""

I made sure they had enough thermal greese underneath them too.  

The set first started going out of convergence, and then it powered off while watching a show.  

Not sure what to do now. 

Larry Dillon
I would contact the company

I would contact the company and tell them they failed in only a few months. See what type of warrantee they have. I have used many many from them and have had no failures yet. I am talking into the hundreds!

Sunrise
Do you think the Panasonic 

Do you think the Panasonic  pt-47wx53 is a reliable set?  Have you heard of others with problems with these convergence amp ICs?  I have had this set 3 years and have had to replace these IC's twice already.  Granted the first time was with the cheaper parts.   

I'm not sure how many more times I can unsolder and solder in replacement parts w/o ruining the board. 

I appreciate your help and  will call the company tomorrow.

Sunrise
btw, I'm looking at a walmart

btw, I'm looking at a walmart just in case I can't solve this continual failing IC problem :

Vizio 50" Plasma HDTV

Model #: VIZ   P50HDTV10A

Do you have any experience with this set? 

Larry Dillon
DO NOT BUY THAT CRAPPY TV SET

DO NOT BUY THAT CRAPPY TV SET!!! You will for sure be sorry in a year or two.  I have seen lots of these sets and they are made up of all sorts of different manufacturers. Some boards are easy to get, some are really hard. Try to get parts or service after a couple of years.

Sunrise
I just noticed on the Sanyo

I just noticed on the Sanyo data sheet that came with the STK392-101 part that there is another similar part with better power ratings, STK392-010.

Both have the same specs except the -010 is a 5 Amp rated and 2.6C/W  

vs. the -101 that I replaced which is 3 A and 3C/W.

Think I'll get the -010 part.  Maybe someone put the wrong part ( a -101 instead of -010)in this set. I don't have a schematic  so I just don't know.

Sunrise
I'll call them on this -010

I'll call them on this -010 to confirm...........may be different from picture on site.

Larry Dillon
Oh for sure, you have the

Oh for sure, you have the wrong part man!

Connect With Techlore