SONY KP51WS510 Suggestions??

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
.:fLiPt:.
SONY KP51WS510 Suggestions??

Basically, My TV (KP51WS510) will not come on and I am getting 8 blinks. I managed to find the service manuals for a KP51WS500 so I assume for the most part they are simlar in design. This manual states that the Flyback (T8005) is bad according to the 8 blinks. I also found another random post somewhere from a repair person stating he had to replce both the FBT and the HV Block to repair this same problem. I've got a couple of questions I thought I would ask before jumping into this.

1). Should I try just the FBT first without the HV Block or do these two usually go at the same time?

2). Is this a difficult repair? I have basic electronic knowledge and have repaired other components on mainboards and etc... but I am definately new to TV repair and have never really played with any High Voltage components and would like to know what precautions should be taken...

3). Also when hunting for these parts online after crossreferencing various parts I think the 500 and 510 may use different FBTs. If so, does anyone know the correct Part# for the 510?

4). Also does anyone have a parts supplier they could reccomend?

Thanks for any suggestions. I would really appreciate the help....

Larry Dillon
Well, where do i start out

Well, where do i start out first.  OK, if you have NO experience with the high voltage section of a TV set, or do not know how the high voltage circuit works, I would stress, DO NOT ATTEMPT this repair. There is enough High voltage in this set to kill you! Or at least make a grown man cry!  The fault codes in the manual is only a guide for the service man to get an idea where to look for the problem that the TV set has. It is not fool proof and it is not always the part bad that it may suggest.  But sometimes it is. They are the same chassis numbers, both of the models you mentioned, but there are differences in part numbers, and i do not remember if the part numbers for the two parts are the same.  Both the high voltage block and the flyback transformer are available HERE  The part number for the flyback transformer is, 148328521,  and the high voltage block is 8-598-955-32 for the model KP51WS510.  I know a lot of techs that do replace both at once, but I have found out, most of the time it is one or the other that is bad. If you do decide to do this repair, BE CAREFUL!!  Good Luck with this repair , and let us know how it turns out for you.

Thanks for the info Larry. In

Thanks for the info Larry. In regards to the HV circuit, I understand this can be very dangerous, but is there a safe way to discharge this before starting the repair? Also, I have this same thread running on another forum and one person stated he was having the same issue, same TV, and sent his D-board to Sony and they said there were no problems and now he is assuming the HV Block is the problem. He said that a friend that is a technician said usually when a FBT goes there is a distinct odor and/or external physical damage to the FBT. Is this true? Because I cannot see any damage on mine. Is there a fairly simple way to test the function of the HV Block or FBT? Thanks again for the help.

Larry Dillon
No just replace them both

No just replace them both unless you have a special piece of test equipment called a ringer to test the flyback

I can find the HV block but

I can find the HV block but not the FBT using the part number you gave me.... Any ideas??

Larry Dillon
Well heck! Me Bad!  I put the

Well heck! Me Bad!  I put the wrong number. Go HERE to find the right part.

Well, I ordered the HV block

Well, I ordered the HV block from partstore.com got it today, took 20 min. to replace it now my TV is back on.... It was about $100 bucks w/ shpping and everything. Also really easy to install no advanced electronics skills necessary....thanks for the info......

Larry Dillon
Great News!  Glad to hear you

Great News!  Glad to hear you fixed it.

bwilbert
I was told the HV block has a

I was told the HV block has a resistance reading of >40mohms. Mine read 11K, so ordered new one. I ring tested my fly back, good. I would get the high voltage neon light at startup and would go off. If I unplugged the high voltage regulator plug from the HV block, error changed from the 8 blinks to 5. Will get the new block in two days.

bwilbert
Got the new HV block today,

Got the new HV block today, measured resistance to ground wire and it reads infinity. So this should fix the problem.

bwilbert
Put the HV block in today and

Put the HV block in today and TV worked fine. Just for anybody’s info. I use Bob Parkers Flyback tester and ESR meter. Love them both, good value. They can be located @ http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/

spongebob
Thank you for your info. I've

Thank you for your info. I've got the same problems with my Sony 46" and measured the hv block due to someone elses post somewhere and read 9k on two of the legs aand 6k on one. So I just started shopping and ran across this post. Thanks again.

the doctor
Are you guys stupid! sony

Are you guys stupid! sony blink codes don't work. never did work. check your horizontal output ic and power supply. or take it in to get repaired!!!!!!!!!!

SonyBigScreen51
How hard it is to replace HV

How hard it is to replace HV Block? Does it need soldered? If I purchase from PartStore.com, does it come with manual/instruction for how to replace it?

sikkwidditt
FLipt or anyone, I got brand

FLipt or anyone, I got brand new FLyback Transformer and High VOltage block assembly for KP51WS510 , I just wanted to know if anybody could post a guide on how to install this two parts on Sony KP51WS510 (blinking 8x timer/standby). thank you!

sikkwidditt
I just got my parts from part

I just got my parts from part store also Flyback Transformer and High Voltage Block regulator for my Sony KP51WS510 can somebody send me a guide or any website how to install this parts. thank you very much!

The HV Block should easily be

The HV Block should easily be visable. No soldering required. It is kind of like a ignition cap in a vehicle. Several leads that more or less just pull off and push on...

its been a while since I've even thought about this stuff....

SonyBigScreen51
Try this link...

Try this link...

http://flagrantdisregard.com/replacing-sony-hvb/

I replaced my HVB in less than 20 mins. You do need to read carefully. Don't force to pull those red cables. Push, wiggle then pull.

Good luck.

magic32
Does anyone know how the FBT

Does anyone know how the FBT is to be replaced? Does anyone know of any instructions like the above link? Any help is appreciated, just wanted to see if there was any help before I dove in.

magic32
I have a KP-51WS500, but all

I have a KP-51WS500, but all models welcome.

ajoanos
I just purchased a D-board

I just purchased a D-board for my tv. A tech over the phone told me to pull the red wire out of the block and insert new red wire. I did what he said and the little silver cap remained in the block. Any suggestions on getting it out? Please help.

Larry Dillon
you were suppose to push in

you were suppose to push in and turn it 90degrees while pushing down on the cable. you will need to call them back and see if they have a way to remove the locking cap from the fly-back transformer. good luck.
Larry Dillon.

Connect With Techlore