Sony KP-57HW40 Convergence Problem

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
sylar357
Sony KP-57HW40 Convergence Problem

My 5yr old television has recently been experiencing unaligned colors at the bottom and top edges of the screen; the picture in the center of the screen is perfect. From reading around, this looks to be a problem with the convergence board on the tv. I would like to post a picture for reference but I am not sure I can on this forum. If someone is interested on what this looks like, please send me your e-mail and I will e-mail you a picture.

Any help, especially from Larry, would be appreciated. Also, if anyone can send me the service manual that would be great ([email protected])

Thanks,

Joe

Larry Dillon
It sounds like, yes you have

It sounds like, yes you have the typical STK convergence amp problem with your TV set. All this repair is located on the "D" board.  You will need to order two STK 392-560 IC's from HERE  DO NOT BUY AND USE THE CHEAPER aftermarket IC's. Just because you can find them for less money, they are crap!!  OK once the two ICs are taken out, and before you install the new IC's onto the printed circuit boards, make sure you put on a nice coating of heat sink compound on the backs of the new IC for good heat dissipation.  If you do not, these IC's will fail prematurely.  Now before you close up the set, Check the 22plus and the 22minus resistors that supply the +and - voltages to the IC's. These are resistor R8122 for the minus 22 volts and the R8127 for the plus 22 volts.  These are 7.5 ohm 1 watt flameproof resistors.  Also on the same board check all of the circuit protectors and make sure they check to be shorted, as they are nothing more then 3.2 amp fuses. These are labeled, PS8001 through PS8006/  I do have this service manual, and i will send you a copy through pando as I have done a lot of these TV sets.  it is not hard, and besides, if you can do it safely, and save a few hundred bucks, Great!  Good Luck, and let us know how you make out with this TV repair.  Oh BTW, if you do not have pando to open this manual, go to pando.com and download the free software.

pj
Thanks for your input Larry,

Thanks for your input Larry, its good to know there are people on this forum willing to help others out. I will give this repair a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Joe 

jschuholz
Just a tip - after repairing

Just a tip - after repairing the convergence problem, the crts (either red, green, or blue) will go next. have the exact same set. Been there and done this.   NEVER BY SONY AGAIN - I do have a service manual

Larry Dillon
Yes the picture tubes do go

Yes the picture tubes do go bad in these sets but it does not necessary mean it will happen on every Sony Set with this model number

kwolf1215
I have the same TV (sony

I have the same TV (sony kp57hw40) My problem started with it turning green then shutting off. I read some where that if I just turned the color for green counter clockwise a tiny bit that it would fix it. It kept doing it ,but not as often. It also had too much red to it. So I turned it counter clockwise a little and it looked a little bit better. After a few minutes went by, all of a sudden it made a electrical noise and then the 3 colors seperated from each other creating 3 of each picture. What steps should I take to fix this. The manual would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help that is given.

Larry Dillon
sounds like yo fist had a

sounds like yo fist had a picture tube poblem, now it soun like you have bad convergenc IC in this beast!

kwolf1215
So should I change the Green

So should I change the Green picture tube and then change the STK fuses like you mentioned above?

E. Maes
i have a sony kp-57hw40 tv.

i have a sony kp-57hw40 tv. when u turn it on the screen is blue and then turns red and shuts off ater about 5 seconds. the stand by led blinks 8 times. IC406 audio amp, PS401 and 402 might be the problem. does any one have a schemaetic for this or now where it is on what board. thanks

Larry Dillon
Sounds like you might have a

Sounds like you might have a bad red picture tube??? Seen this problem many A times!!

E. Maes
thanks for ur reply larry. do

thanks for ur reply larry. do you any diagrams on where those stk ICs might be? I do not have a remote for this tv. can i reset the self diagnostics from the front control panel? thanks again.

Larry Dillon
The service manual is

The service manual is available as a free download on this websites technicians corner simply go to the home page and about halfway down the page click on the right free service manual downloads then click on veiw all downloads.

Larry Dillon
The service manual is

The service manual is available as a free download on this websites technicians corner simply go to the home page and about halfway down the page click on the right free service manual downloads then click on view all downloads.

Larry Dillon
The service manual is

The service manual is available as a free download on this websites technicians corner Simply go to the home page and about halfway down the page click on the right free service manual downloads then click on view all downloads.

jschuholz
Have another kp57hw40 with

Have another kp57hw40 with convergence out. what is the stk required for this set. stk392-570 are in this. I replaced board (had a spare) and it works. I replace original back with new 570 and have convergence issues. I checked v+, v-, picos, resistors, and double checked soldering. what else can this be or what else is there to check ? thanks, John

Connect With Techlore