speaker wire

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jane M
speaker wire

We are renovating our house. My question is: Does the speaker cable have to be physically separated from the electrical wiring that we are running, and if so, by how much distance. My concern is that the electrical wiring might cause static in the speakers if the cable is too close to the wire. Is there any real need for concern here?

Thanks,     Jane 

Larry Dillon
This is a debatable issue

This is a debatable issue with different installers. I have done lots of speaker wiring in homes and offices in my time. If you are going to run to multiple rooms, use a multiple wire cable. Not one at a time to the different speakers in the other rooms. It makes the install a lot easier. Then once in the room, you can separate the different wiring. Wire is identified by its gauge or thickness; normal thickness range from gauge 16 to 12. The smaller the number, the thicker is the copper conductor, and the better its capacity to pass the amplified audio signal. If you are running long lengths (in excess of approximately 200 feet - approx. 60m) of speaker wires, do not settle for anything less than gauge 12. I like the CL-3 12 gauge wiring. This is the UL approved cabling used a lot for speaker runs.  Check it out HERE.  You can most likely find it local where you are at if you go to an electrical supply house. When running the wiring, Do not run the speaker wiring through any existing holes that have electrical cable going through them unless they are the shielded like with conduit or BX cabling. Try and keep the speaker wiring at least a good 6 to 8 inches from electrical wiring. There are a lot of good articles on the web that may be able to give you a better understanding of this subject. it is not hard to do, and if done properly, can give you years and years of no hassle music. Good Luck

Connect With Techlore