Novice computer user needs help with PalmT3 synching problem.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rose C.
Novice computer user needs help with PalmT3 synching problem.

I am not a techie & don't understand computer jargon.  I have a Palm Tungsten T3 that I use to organize my whole life,  I was trying to download some ebook readers Mobipocket, Ereader, and Adobe Reader,  After doing what I thought was downloading them I tried to synch them and got this msg.

"An Application on the PC failed to respond to a confirmation query,  This app.may need to be restarted."

It doesn't tell me which app.  I tried uninstalling all of them but still get the same msg when I try synching it,  Does anyone have any idea what I should do?  I would really appreciate it if anyone has had a msg like that before & if they were able to resolve this issue & how?

Thanks so much for your help?

Rose

Matt Whitlock
Make sure you're running the

Make sure you're running the latest version of your Palm Syncing software (Here's a link to download the latest version: http://www.palm.com/us/support/palmde..., and that the applications you're trying to install are compatible for use with the Palm T3.

Rose C.
I have a few more questions. 

I have a few more questions.  If I uninstalled the three e-reader programs why won't it synch?  Is there any way to figure out which app. is causing the problem?  I remember seing something in the

Adobe reader info about having to do something to activate it before I could use it.  Could that be the problem...even though I have uninstalled the program?   

If I do use the latest download of synching software will it confict with the info on my Palm Desktop that I want to resynch to my Palm?

My daughter has given me her old T3 but it doesn't have some of the same programs I have on mine.  How do I get my programs on it?  Will it accept my programs since it must have a different hot synch name? 

Thank you so much for your help.

Rose

Matt Whitlock
The error message is kind of

The error message is kind of cryptic. I read it as Palm Desktop couldn't install the application to your device, but it could have been another kind of error. Maybe, Palm Desktop has a problem and needs to close. Did you try restarting the PC?

You should be able to download the latest version of Palm Desktop without affecting any data you have stored. You should back up your data before you upgrade just to be on the safe side. 

I'm not sure your problem is installing new programs. It may have more to do with the specific programs you're trying to install. Not all Palm applications are compatible with the Tungsten T3, so you need to check with the vendor of the app for which models it's designed for. 

Rose C.
Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for trying to help me.  I am absolutely a mess trying to figure it out.  I have several added complications.  My Palm crashed & I lost all my info & thats a lot of info-over 800 contacts & probably 500 memo's & notes + Calendar & tasks on top of that.

I have done some homework & figured out more of the puzzle.  When I was downloading Adobe

reader for Palm OS it was interupted & I didn't know what to do so I started it over.That happened 1 more time.  I did a search on my computer & found all the Adobe files.  I uninstalled all of them but the 2 files that said something like "resume downloading Adobe".  They refuse to be uninstalled.  It said it couldn't be deleted. 

I went to the Adobe website forums & there were notes there from several years ago from people with the same problem.  It looked like they never got an answer from anyone.  I think Adobe has had a problem with this in an ongoing way without providing a solution to Palm users.  I've spent 2 days on the computer trying to figure out what to do.  I'm now trying to go a different direction since I can't seem to get rid of Adobe.

I've been reading Palm's KB area to see if there is a way to move my info.  I have a new laptop that has Palm Desktop installed on it.  But I never put my info in there so I'm trying to find out if I can copy the info from my Palm Desktop onto something like a flash drive then install it into my laptop

Palm desktop program.  How knowledgeable are you about these things?  Do you know if I can transfer the info with a flash drive?  Or is there another way that you can think of to transfer my info?   I just don't want to do anything to lose my info that's in my pc.   I don't know if I can copy my note pad entries.  It said something about copying them into a graphics program,  Do you know what kind of graphics program would work with Palm? 

I so appreciate you trying to help me.  Thank you so much.

Rose

Rose C.
Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,

I thought of one more question.  In the Palm KB it said you could make a backup copy of your user file.  I tried to do that but I'm wondering does the user file include Contacts, Memos, Calendar, Tasks & Notebook?  

Again thanks so much.

Rose

Matt Whitlock
It's been years since I used

It's been years since I used Palm Desktop, but if the option is available to backup your user file, it should export it into one file that you can move around freely between computers... if you've ever used Outlook, it would be like exporting your PST file and importing it back into Outlook somewhere else.

Look for a backup or export feature in Palm Dektop, and it should walk you through creating the backup file. Toss it on your flash drive, then copy it to your laptop. Open Palm Desktop on your laptop, then look for something that says import or restore, then point the program to that file. Everything, Contacts, Memos, Calendar and all, should then be restored. If it held your note pad entries, those should also make the ride.

Not sure I can give much insight on what happened with your Adobe situation. I've never heard of that particular problem, so I'm sure it can't be all that common. Those particular files shouldn't hurt anything if you can't remove the, but there are some tools you could use to get rid of them if needed. First, you could always try booting the PC into safe mode and attempt to remove them that way, or you could also try a free cleaner utility called CCleaner (www.http://www.ccleaner.com/)">http://www.ccleaner.com/)">www.http:/..., which might be able to help remove them. Just make sure you back up your Palm Desktop user file before you attempt to remove anything.

As a last resort, if you're running Windows XP and System Restore is turned on, you could try rolling back your PC to a state before all this started. Make sure you do a backup in case any new "wanted" files are eliminated in the process.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Rose C.
Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,

I finally took a chance & called Palm tech afer having a really bad experience with them before.

I got a very knowledgeable girl who helped me export my data back into my new laptop.  Now I need to get all my third party programs back on my laptop.  Thank you so much for your help &

patience with me.  I really appreciate it.

Take  Care

Rose

Connect With Techlore