13" GE tv only works when you unplug it and wait

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
George3
13" GE tv only works when you unplug it and wait

Greetings,

I purchased a GE "kitchen" tv with built in VHS tape player back in 1994 (MODEL #13TVR40 - SERIAL #41742059).  It plays great and the picture is excellent.  Just recently, I could not get it to turn on.  I thought of tossing it out because of the fact that it is 13 years old.  However, after having it unplugged for a period and trying one last time, i discovered it does in fact turn back on and plays great! 

The problem is, once it is turned on and you turn it back off, it will not go back on UNLESS I unplug it and wait awhile.  Once I plug it back in, it works great again.

Can someone please tell me what is causing this?

Thanks

George3

Larry Dillon
There is a bad capacitor in

There is a bad capacitor in the standby power supply. It is not worth having fixed as this will cost you a minimum of 50 to 75 nucks. good Luck

George3
Thanks Larry for the info.

Thanks Larry for the info.

Is this capacitor sometihgn a DIY guy could get to?  I am fairly handy and if I can change the bad part, perhaps this small tv could be used as a video game screen for my children.  It has been a great little tv.

hanks again!

George3

Larry Dillon
George3, if you do not know

George3, if you do not know or understand the components in the standby power supply, it will be a difficult thing to do.  You will need to get the service manual, or the schematic.  Then you would need to have an Capacitor meter to check the differant capacitors in the power supply.  then yoiu need a soldering iron.  I am sorry, but the amswer would be yes it may be possible to do, if you have the electronic circuit knowledge, but is it worth buying the equipment and the service manual for a set you can buy new for less the 75 bucks?

Marg
I have lost the instructions

I have lost the instructions for my 13 TVR40 GE TV and wanr to know how to get it onto channel 75. Thanks. M.

anmlsprt
i would think you need to

i would think you need to program your channels to allow channel "75" . if you are receiving input for that channel it will allow it when you do an auto search. do you have a remote for it ?

Marg
The channels on the set only

The channels on the set only go to 69 and then there is a separate button for Channel 100 which, I think, allows you to select beyond Ch 69 but I can't get it to activate. I do have the remote. I need to be on CH 75 to get onto my dish. Marg.

Connect With Techlore