KP-EF41 Convergence Problem

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Damian
KP-EF41 Convergence Problem

anyone got one of these? Sony 41" rear projector tv... modelnumber KP-EF41 my screens gone mad, looks like a bad 3D movie... think i may have discovered the problem solution... but if its happened to you, please let me know what u did, and did it work? thanks... :) technicallyminded at hotmail dot com (type it right, its to stop spam!) please let me know, thanks!!!!!

Damian
SEE HERE: http://img.shopping
eesmdt
How is your + _ 15 volt

How is your + _ 15 volt supply to the STK convergence amps?

I think this model still uses them though mfr's are not going to any more due to Sanyo no longer producing them.

They were an almost single supplier of STK's.

One may be bad or blown the fuse or fuses to either supply.

Good luck from Fishintvguy retired 2003.

Larry Dillon
You will need to replace the

You will need to replace the STK type convergence IC's first then check the 22 plus and minus power supplies going to the convergence ic's, if you are still having a problem.  Sometimes, when thes convergence amp IC's go bad, they will blow out the circuit protectors or fuses that supply the plus and minus voltages to the chips.  Goos Luck, and let us know how this repair works out for you.

Damian
thanks a lot for the quick

thanks a lot for the quick responce guys. i actually - like i said - thought i had found the problem reasons: as mentioned in a few forums, all mentioning the IC's... what is this STK ?? you mentioned it.. In all fairness, is this a quick fix? its a command problem like? I really didn't expect this from sony, was gobsmacked when it happened. I'm not worried about trying to fix it myself. I'll only sto pwhen somethings got the better of me and my next step would probably wreck the item lol I will take some pics and make a fix thread up... should help someone out in the future. is it possible it could just be a fuse? or is it defo these IC's ? I'm in i.t / computer building, doesn't usually need soldering but the IC's look like the same as installing a CPU ALL FURTHER INFO GREATLY APPRECIATED PEOPLE!

Larry Dillon
No I am sorry, this is

No I am sorry, this is nothing like installing a CPU, as these do not have sockets. 

Damian
I know they have sockets mate

I know they have sockets mate, i seen a different thread on here, had step by step pix, and it had the heat sink and required thermal paste, thats why i said its a close job to installing a cpu.. not literal mate :) let ya know how i get on!

Larry Dillon
Ok I would like to see a

Ok I would like to see a photo or the thread please, as long as I have been in the TV repair field, I have never seen these convergence power amps in sockets.

eesmdt
This is getting interesting

This is getting interesting guys.I will see if I can locate some of my friends still doing TV service.Sony I know has pretty much taken over a lot of their own service rather then pay TV repair guys like us and the whole service industry is getting smaller all the time.I myself retired after 40 years in 2003 and on Long Island NY was the number 1 Sony Service center.

Sony had already gone to replacing boards by then even though you can repair them it may cost not much more to order one from Sony and send yours back as a Dud.

As long as you don't need to replace he board with the eproms on it convergence should be ok after replacing the board with the amps on it which may also be the power supply board.

You will know if you see a big heatsink with two STK-010 120's or some number like that .

Even if you need to replace the brain board swapping eproms is easy and they don't lose the info in them unsoldering and resoldering on the replacement board.

I'm forgetting numbers since there were so many and I did 12 different manufacrturers.If any of my friends have a manual I'll fingd out.

You can call Sony too at 1 800 222 Sony.

I'll be back.

Fishintvguy >>))'> 

Damian
cheers for the replys guys. i

cheers for the replys guys. i am heading down to my mums this wed night, will open the tv up, take a peek and take out the internals and take some pics as well as trying to see if anything is damaged, burned out or what ever. but because of its cheapness, i have no problems in trying to replace them ic's it can't hurt it at worst, make it last longer! but something someone posted made me remember a thought i had for a long time. See how people like my parents or grand parents would say "they don't make em like they used to" i have noticed more and more through the years that things now a days are MADE to break! see how cars and everything are still going from years ago?? bit obvious, but thought i'd point it out!! :) PS: I noticed a lot of you guys are from the states.. Elo from Ireland :) (No stupid top of the marnin to ya jokes please!! :/)

eesmdt
 Well Hello Ireland,I have

Laughing Well Hello Ireland,I have many friends in the States here in New York that are from your part of the World.

We just had a great St Patrick's Parade March 13 in Rockaway Beach ,Queens on the Atlantic Ocean,perhaps you have heard of it.

I grew up with many Irish friends and our town had an Irish Pub everywhere.Still do taday.The Irish Circle being most popular.

I can send some pictures if you like.E mail me at [email protected]

I keep forgetting to ask my friends for a manual on your set but I do believe what we all have said so far should be true.

Be sure and let us know.

Don

Larry Dillon
The reason I cannot find this

The reason I cannot find this model, it is a european model.  Do you see a chassis number on the back of this TV set.?  Maybe I can match it up that way.

Damian
I was at home, had to loads

I was at home, had to loads of stuff for my mum, only got to take a peek at the tv, found the remote etc!! and plus sony rang me today, he was very mono tone but very nice, kept trying to get me to get a repair man lol, i had to repeat, erm, no not yet, i'll let it go over my head first lol and the reason you con't find my model number is because its the wrong one!! i done a google search for my tv, and the closes one was the named above.. but my manual has been discovered and its a longer product number!! But you'll be delighted to know i never got to write it down, i had put it to a side, ment to pick it up, got home and said damn!!! haha, i'm irish, forgive me!! Will post more info asap, sorry for the delay guys, but i don't wana do a rush job on it, i wana sit down with the tv and do it right... brb, phone rinign

Damian
right, it was my mum, product

right, it was my mum, product number: KP-41S4B that help you??? PS: I was in america for 3 months, some of ur fellow americans drove me mad lol, couldn't take it anymore. i was in, cape cod, newark, new york, philli, michigan, missuri, st louis, the list goes on ...made some really lovely friends, really miss em, met a pimp in new york, "only in america" eh? lol big black lad, fury purple suit and a top hat and stick .... across from central park... anyone know em? :) right, i'm gona try hunt down my tv product code...

eesmdt
Damian said: right, it was my

Damian said: right, it was my mum, product number: KP-41S4B that help you??? PS: I was in america for 3 months, some of ur fellow americans drove me mad lol, couldn't take it anymore. i was in, cape cod, newark, new york, philli, michigan, missuri, st louis, the list goes on ...made some really lovely friends, really miss em, met a pimp in new york, "only in america" eh? lol big black lad, fury purple suit and a top hat and stick .... across from central park... anyone know em? :) right, i'm gona try hunt down my tv product code...

Hi again Damien,

I was checking on your follow ups to see if anyone had an answer yet but I think we are on the right track.

Do 1 800 phones call anywhere in the World or only U.S?

As a Sony servicer for a long time whenever customers needed Sony help from the manufacturer they always told us .Have them call 1 800 222 Sony.

I remember you wrote me earlier on my e mail being a Musician and I just got an e mail from Madison Square Garden about an Irish guy coming September.Perhaps you know him.

Good Luck,Don

AKA FishinTvGuy  

Damian
hi guys, just to let you know

hi guys, just to let you know, i opened the tv, my god, you wana see the dust lol anyways, gave it a hove, then an air spray, pretty clean now... the intergrated circuts were dead easy to find. i got the code, got replacements, they are on the way, have taken photos etc, and will make up a how to... cheer's for the help so far lads :)

Larry Dillon
Great, can't wait to see how

Great, can't wait to see how this turns out.

eesmdt
Damian said: hi guys, just to

Damian said: hi guys, just to let you know, i opened the tv, my god, you wana see the dust lol anyways, gave it a hove, then an air spray, pretty clean now... the intergrated circuts were dead easy to find. i got the code, got replacements, they are on the way, have taken photos etc, and will make up a how to... cheer's for the help so far lads :)

Ok you are right there.

Just rememeber to replace both.If a problem still exists then be sure the

+ - !8 VDC is present or one CP "Circuit Protector or Fuse" may be open from the originals went bad.

Damien Rice from Ireland coming to Madison Square Garden in September.

You may know him.

D  

eesmdt
Larry Dillon said: Great, can

Larry Dillon said: Great, can't wait to see how this turns out.

I think...Therefore I Am...

Where do you get these crazy ideas?

What has four wheels and Flies?

Argue with that one LOL

D

Larry Dillon
Just to  refresh your memory,

Just to  refresh your memory, on a Sony projection it is 24 volts DC my friend.  And there are ground return  resistors that can fry as well.  The circuit protectors are , in some sets on the convergence boards, and also in the secondary as well as the primary side of the power regulator ICs .

Larry Dillon
I do the same drugs you do??

I do the same drugs you do?? LOL   Or maybe we are from one of the same molds of classic techs?  Just kidding about the drugs by the way. LOL

Connect With Techlore