55PP9352 55" Philips HDTV Convergence Help!

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
mike96z
55PP9352 55" Philips HDTV Convergence Help!

Hi, I purchased a Philips 55" HDTV, HDR Projection TV 50i-55i,
Model# 55PP9352 or 55PP935217 or 55PP935299 in 2002. The problem with my TV is that the convergence has gone bad and the colors are not aligned, I am going to fix the TV myself but Im having trouble finding which parts I will need to replace, or are recommended to replace and what the part numbers are so that I can get them. Partsstore.com has a search by model number but out of all the parts they list, Im not sure which are what. If anyone could help me, this would be really appreciated.

This is the tv:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgur... svnum%3D10%26<br%20/>um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

disord3r
About 9 months ago, I had ran

About 9 months ago, I had ran into a similar problem with my TV. While waching the TV one day, the convergence went wacky quite without warning. No pops/bangs/sparks; my colors just silently skewed themselves. After a bit of research, I found that it's a fairly common with TVs after a few years. Either the ICs have simply failed, or resistors have failed in conjunction with the ICs.

http://kayjee.com/Philips/convergenceICs1.jpg

http://kayjee.com/Philips/convergenceICs2.jpg

In the first picture, you'll see a big fat heatsink with a red outline (use the location of the coax jack in the bottom left as a point of reference). Attached to the left side of the heatsink (if viewing the TV from the rear), as indicated by the blue arrows, are a pair of integrated circuits that perform the convergence. These are the likely culprit, although there may be some additional items to replace (resistors). In the second picture, you'll see a close up of one of the ICs with the part number (STK392-120). 

When my convergence went out, I eBayed a couple pairs of ICs (one pair for now, another for the future) and replaced them myself. I didn't have the equipment to test any resistors or capacitors, nor did I know which ones might have failed (aside from looking for burn marks). I decided that if replaceing the ICs alone did not solve the problem, I would take the board to someone else to test. Fortunately, the ICs alone seem to have resolved the problem for me, and I'm hoping it stays this way.

Here's hoping you luck out, as well. A certified tech will probably charge you $300+ for this repair, and if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you may be able to convince a local electronics repair shop of some kind to remove/replace the ICs if you walk in with the board and ICs in-hand.

Cheers!

Larry Dillon
Those IC's you have shown in

Those IC's you have shown in the pictures are the aftermarket type, as they do not show the Sanyo name on them.  As a matter of fact they show no names at all. I would and always have recommended to get only the true IC's that are ment for the TV set, as these IC's will work, but have been shown not to last as long.  Not all IC's are the same.  Even if they have the same numbers on them.  disord3r, I do like how you made this thread with pictures to help out.  Good Job.  Mike96z, good luck with your repair, and let us all know how it turns out.

disord3r
Interesting. Could it be that

Interesting. Could it be that they are obscured by the retaining clip, or maybe that this unit was refurbished prior to my purchasing it? Or is it more likely that Philips used generic parts right of that factory line? 

Larry Dillon
Could have been refurbished,

Could have been refurbished, or possible used the inexpensive knockoffs at the manufacturing plant.  They try to cut cost at all points of manufacturing.

AlexInMiami
disord3r

disord3r

Could you repost the pictures mentioned above. I have the same problem and would like to try and fix it myself.

AlexInMiami
disord3r

disord3r

Could you repost the pictures mentioned above. I have the same problem and would like to try and fix it myself.

Larry Dillon
Those are dead links now,

Those are dead links now, They were simply pitures of the convergence IC's

AlexInMiami
Larry Dillon said: Those are

Larry Dillon said: Those are dead links now, They were simply pitures of the convergence IC's

Can you help me figure out which ones they are on my set so that I can replace mine or pull out the board and take to a repair shop to have them replaced?

Larry Dillon
They are the black

They are the black rectangular ICs mounted on a large metal square with fins on it and on the IC's it is marked STK.

drmax
Hello. I'm being giving this

Hello. I'm being giving this same TV with the same possible problem. Can someone post the pics of the internals of this set, as to arrow on the IC's?
Even some part numbers would be of help, as to get the original replacement parts.
It was also mentioned that the CRT's congeal after a length of time. More to keep in mind.
I may be able to put get some pics up here, if nobody else has any. Thank you.

BLfrmNJ
I am having the same issue

I am having the same issue with my Philips 55PP935217. The red convergence just went one night. Pictures would be ideal, I have electronics experience but without a manual you are just easter egging...Anyone have detailed instructions for removing the circuit card? A parts list and a reputable parts dealer would be nice also. Thanks

Alnp
the manual for the 55PP9352

the manual for the 55PP9352 and other Philips 300 series is in the Resources section of this site, here:
http://www.techlore.com/download/22580/DPTV305.pdf/

This is a terrific write-up with XLNT pictures of the convergence repair on a Philips 300 series chassis:
http://techghetto.com/tv-repair/

If you will search this site for Philips convergence you can find many related threads.
Buy only genuine Sanyo stk's, the generics may work a while, but are not as good.

drmax
oh my! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

oh my! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
I did a search within the forum and it did not reveal this. When I get the T.V. I'll open her up and see if the pics are the same. I'm sure they are....
uh...i do have a ?...
I've read where they state to read "through" the resistors. I know better than that, as you'd actually be testing the entire circuit. You'd have to remove the resistors to check them properly? Is this correct?

jdmilo1
I'm also having convergence

I'm also having convergence problems a philips 55pp935217 rear projection tv. After reading several articles on this site I decided to replace the IC's. I purchased the tv repair kit which included the 2 IC's and the 12 resistors,replaced all parts put everything back together and the picture is still pretty bad. I did the multi point convergence that didn't really help. It seems like the whole screen is cloudy with a haze on it and maybe too much red color. I decided to try adjusting the focus via the focus block, but as I was turning the blue thumb screw all 3 lenses just kind of popped and went out, but I still had audio. No when I turn the tv on the projector lenses fire up you can see the colors coming from the lenses but everything goes out after about 10-15 seconds. Now not only did I not fix the conv. problem but I've actually made things worse.
Anybody have any ideas before I role it out to the curb.
Thanks
John

Larry Dillon
Did you mess with the

Did you mess with the convergence adjustments BEFORE you replaced the ic'S and the parts?

jdmilo1
No I just took the guys word

No I just took the guys word that gave me the tv. Boy am I regretting not looking at it first. The symptoms that the guy gave me (the bowing at the top and bottom and colors not being right) I just assumed it was the IC's.
Thanks for replying any ideas?
John

Larry Dillon
if they was , it would or

if they was , it would or might be tough to adjust you might need to start from scratch, the manual explains that also.

jdmilo1
Thanks again What would cause

Thanks again What would cause my new problem of all 3 projectors lighting up for about 10-15 seconds and being able to see a blurry picture,then they go out,with the tv still staying on?
Is it possible if I have a bad IC for them to warm up to a point then shutting down the projectors?

jdmilo1
I'm also having convergence

I'm also having convergence problems a philips 55pp935217 rear projection tv. After reading several articles on this site I decided to replace the IC's. I purchased the tv repair kit which included the 2 IC's and the 12 resistors,replaced all parts put everything back together and the picture is still pretty bad. I did the multi point convergence that didn't really help. It seems like the whole screen is cloudy with a haze on it and maybe too much red color. I decided to try adjusting the focus via the focus block, but as I was turning the blue thumb screw all 3 lenses just kind of popped and went out, but I still had audio. No when I turn the tv on the projector lenses fire up you can see the colors coming from the lenses but everything goes out after about 10-15 seconds. Now not only did I not fix the conv. problem but I've actually made things worse.
Anybody have any ideas before I role it out to the curb.
Thanks
John

Larry Dillon
Did you mess with the

Did you mess with the convergence adjustments BEFORE you replaced the ic'S and the parts?

jdmilo1
No I just took the guys word

No I just took the guys word that gave me the tv. Boy am I regretting not looking at it first. The symptoms that the guy gave me (the bowing at the top and bottom and colors not being right) I just assumed it was the IC's.
Thanks for replying any ideas?
John

Larry Dillon
if they was , it would or

if they was , it would or might be tough to adjust you might need to start from scratch, the manual explains that also.

jdmilo1
Thanks again What would cause

Thanks again What would cause my new problem of all 3 projectors lighting up for about 10-15 seconds and being able to see a blurry picture,then they go out,with the tv still staying on?
Is it possible if I have a bad IC for them to warm up to a point then shutting down the projectors?

Connect With Techlore