trying to resolder boards on a Sony KV27S22, need help locating tuner

1 post / 0 new
tongueonthewire
trying to resolder boards on a Sony KV27S22, need help locating tuner

I'm trying to give the boards on a 1998 Sony KV27S22 a once over, and resolder any dry joints I find but want to concentrate on the most likely culprits. I need help locating which is the tuner, as I feel that is the most likely. I presume it is the aluminum encased "box". Any others I should concentrate on? What about the accelerator board on the neck? Is that a likely candidate for dry joints and heat failure?

Also, I have discharged the CRT, but need to know how to discharge any other of the high voltage capacitors, and their locations. D board? G board?

I'm quite confident in my soldering skills, as I've performed brain surgery with a soldering gun before. (Unfortunately on myself, but....) In curing dry solder, would you highly recommend cleaning and resoldering, or can the joints just be "retouched" with a hot iron?

The basic problem is an intermittant picture, after an extended warm up. Colors are fine when the tube is active, but several channels are snowy. Seems to be a recurring theme with Sonys! Sony customer service is vertually none existant, and their "Tech support" is a joke! -Unless you want to know how to put your cable onto the antenna connection. The standard response is always             " Sounds like you set is in need of service." -No duh. "I can reccomend an authorized Sony repair center in your area...." When all one needs is a single true technical answer.

Any responses to this post would be most appreciated! Be careful out there, and remember not to put your tongueonthewire

Connect With Techlore