SONY KP57HW40 Convergence Problem

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
GeeTi
SONY KP57HW40 Convergence Problem

Hi all,

Suprise, suprise, my 5 year old Sony rear projection TV has started with the 3-D appearance / bent picture edge symptoms of bad STK ICs (from browsing around the techlore forums) Wink. I've had soldering / desoldering experience and know my way around a wiring diagram, so I'd like to tackle this repair myself. I need to know a little bit of background (chip location / part number) because I don't want to fly into this blind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry Dillon
First thing you should do is

First thing you should do is get the service manual, to see what you need and where everything is located my friend. I can save you about 30 bucks, as i have a copy of this service manual. I can e-mail you a copy if you wish. You will need to go to pando.com and download their free program, as this is how I send these larger files, as my e-mail provider will not allow me to. Get back to us and let me know if you want this or not. Good Luck with this repair, and keep us informed of your progress and of course the final outcome.

GeeTi
Thanks Larry

Thanks Larry

My email is radacawa (at) yahoo.com 

GeeTi
^Bump^ (Reminder for Larry )

^Bump^

(Reminder for Larry Laughing )

Larry Dillon
OPPS!!  Now on its way, and

OPPS!!  Now on its way, and let us know what you find!

GeeTi
Got it...Thanks Larry

Got it...Thanks Larry

(Of course the TV wasn't having it's problem this morning...it must have know about my doings on techlore) LOL

Atleast I've got the info, now.

Glancing at the manual, it seems I'll need to replace the IC8001 & 8002 chips on the D Board. (both are STK392-560  CONV. OUT 1 (&2))

Thanks againLaughing

Larry Dillon
resolder the two convergence

resolder the two convergence IC's before they blow out!

GeeTi
That's probably a good idea (

That's probably a good idea (!)

Some questions I have (without looking at the inside of the set, yet): 

1. Can the solder-side of the D board be accessed without removal?

& 2. Should I re-apply heatsink compound (can it be re-done without removing the chip from the board?)

Thanks!!! 

jbrown
GeeTi said: That's probably a

GeeTi said: That's probably a good idea (!) Some questions I have (without looking at the inside of the set, yet):  1. Can the solder-side of the D board be accessed without removal? & 2. Should I re-apply heatsink compound (can it be re-done without removing the chip from the board?) Thanks!!! 

GeeTi, I was checking to see how the convergence problem worked out.  I have the same problem.

Jbrown

GeeTi
jbrown said: GeeTi said:

jbrown said:

GeeTi said: That's probably a good idea (!) Some questions I have (without looking at the inside of the set, yet):  1. Can the solder-side of the D board be accessed without removal? & 2. Should I re-apply heatsink compound (can it be re-done without removing the chip from the board?) Thanks!!! 

GeeTi, I was checking to see how the convergence problem worked out.  I have the same problem. Jbrown

Sorry I haven't checked in here in a while....and the reason I am is because I never resoldered the ICs (It wasn't broke...so I didn't fix it!)

Well, now the problem is back and I think I'm ready to get me some chips! http://www.electronix.com/catalog/pro...

Larry Dillon
You should have resoldered

You should have resoldered the IC's when you had the chance. Boy some people just don't listen! You would also be making a big mistake buying those IC's. They are not original, and are aftermarket or factory rejects. Don't you read man? Do not go cheap on the ICs. Get only the original Sanyo IC's. All IC's are not alike. Even if they have the same numbers on them.

bigblock_ford
Could I also get a copy of

Could I also get a copy of the service manual for the Sony kp57hw40. I am having a convergence problem and tried to change the D board with no luck. Was wondering if the new board was also bad or is it the fuses. Are the fuses locted off of theD board? Any help would be appreciated.   Thanks  Jim

bigblock_ford
Woops my email is jmeier@bnl

Woops my email is [email protected]  Thanks again

GeeTi
Larry Dillon said: You

Larry Dillon said: You should have resoldered the IC's when you had the chance. Boy some people just don't listen! You would also be making a big mistake buying those IC's. They are not original, and are aftermarket or factory rejects. Don't you read man? Do not go cheap on the ICs. Get only the original Sanyo IC's. All IC's are not alike. Even if they have the same numbers on them.

Easy now! Tongue out  AND my TV is back to normal again!!! (bad time of the month,it seemsFoot in mouth )

...and the question from my post in June... 

That's probably a good idea (!)

Some questions I have (without looking at the inside of the set, yet): 

1. Can the solder-side of the D board be accessed without removal?

& 2. Should I re-apply heatsink compound (can it be re-done without removing the chip from the board?)

Thanks!!!

Wink

Dan L
I too need a copy of the

I too need a copy of the service manual.  doramius (at) gmail (dot) com

Convergence only seems to be one of the issues in my system, as I'm also having the odd green flashing and arcing lines for a few seconds after the unit is turned on......and then it shuts off.  I was able to turn down the voltage slightly on the green tube to stop it from going haywaire, and it'll stay on, now. But I think I've got other issues, because the color seems to do a slight shifting effect while it's on. 

Might need to get a rebuild, but no clue how much that's going to be.  would like to try and do it myself first. 

Larry Dillon
sounds like your green tube

sounds like your green tube is going bad. Lightly tap on the neck of the tube with the handle of a screw driver very lightly to see if the picture flashes or sparks are inside the picture tube while you tap it ever so lightly

Dan L
I did that already....ever so

I did that already....ever so lightly, but I didn't get sparks.  I did get color fluctuations and light dropping of green.  Seems to happen a small bit with blue too.  Red showed little or no noticeable change.  It may just be cold solder on the board below the tube.  I may try to redo the solder connections, but not without the service manual.  I want to discharge possible ccapacitance where I want to work.  I've had my fair share of accidents with high voltage.  Once was several times more than I needed to experience.Embarassed

Larry Dillon
No I am sorry to tell you,

No I am sorry to tell you, all three tubes are going bad and I would not invest anything into this TV set as all three tubes will need to be changed real soon! If when you tapped the tubes, you got color flashing, that's an indication that the tubes are going bad. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is a common thing with these Sony projection TV sets.

zapdbf
Larry Dillon said: You should

Larry Dillon said: You should have resoldered the IC's when you had the chance. Boy some people just don't listen! You would also be making a big mistake buying those IC's. They are not original, and are aftermarket or factory rejects. Don't you read man? Do not go cheap on the ICs. Get only the original Sanyo IC's. All IC's are not alike. Even if they have the same numbers on them.

There are allot of bad convergence ic's on the market, larry is absolutly correct, BELIEVE IT !!! -- or all you will have is a television that will just give you fits !!!!

Dan L
I had received the unit for

I had received the unit for free, so the cost is not too much of a major worry.  If there are suggestions on how to get new internal components and install them, I'd be more than happy to check them out.  This is more for personal tinkering.  Where would I be able to find a service manual for this unit?

zapdbf
Doramius said: I had received

Doramius said: I had received the unit for free, so the cost is not too much of a major worry.  If there are suggestions on how to get new internal components and install them, I'd be more than happy to check them out.  This is more for personal tinkering.  Where would I be able to find a service manual for this unit?

i have read your previous posts, and you did the taping test with the tubes, and you noticed the screen flashing when you did this -- if i am wrong correct me -- some of those tv's (i don't know your model so i can only guess) had allot of trouble with bad tubes. there is even a service bulliton out about the troubles. each tube will cost atleast 200.00 each, along with the convergece ic's make it impractical to repair. i am a sony authorized tech i have seen these issues before. take larrys word for it the crt's are going to need to be replaced. it make the set too expensive to repair.

Sorry for the bad news!

Rock-D
I am having convergence

I am having convergence problem with my Sony KP-57HW40 so can you please send me the service manual for it so I can try to replace my convergence IC or at least troubleshoot the issue in little more technical fashion.

thanks,
D

bigblock_ford
Hey rock, when I had trouble

Hey rock, when I had trouble with the convergence with my sony I bought a new D board through Sears (Warrenty is for 1 year plus 30 no questions asked refund policy), and that fixed the problem. The only other thing that I found out was there is a fuse on the G board that needed to be replaced, I just followed the wiring back and found it with my meter. It fuses the + or - 22v to protect the tv from going on fire. Good Luck Jim

Dan L
If you still want the service

If you still want the service manual, email me via my username @hotmail (dot) com. I post it this way to avoid spam bots sending me viagara with: "Dear Mr. SONY KP57HW40", as the subject.

It's compressed into 3 or 4 .rar files as it is a rather large document. A good couple hundred pages.

Doh
I have a KP-57HW40 and seem

I have a KP-57HW40 and seem to have the same convergence issue, 5 Blinks on the Standby LED. Can someone send me a copy of the service manual? Thanks

jakelemmons
my blue tube finally went out

my blue tube finally went out from nowhere i think it was because of the move but it popped! and then it smoked out a resistor i replaced the resister and now i dont know if anything else will be wrong with the tv until i get my tube back is there anything else i should check? and by the way tell everyone that VIDEO DISPLAY in LA is redoing tubes left and right for only 152.99 plus shipping you gotta send them your old one first
thanks
Jake

Larry Dillon
I knew that thank you very

I knew that thank you very much for the reminder!! BUT I did not know or I am not sure they will redo/repair broken tubes. or did you say or not it was broken?? By the way what was the resistor location number that went bad?

Dan L
I have the 57", but it is no

I have the 57", but it is no longer functioning. I'm ready to toss it, but let me know if you need parts. It was fully functioning except for the green tube. I did sell the screen to another person who had the same model, but their kid kicked the screen in. So basically I have a shell of a TV with the circuit boards, tubes (non-functioning green), mirror, magnifiers, etc. (Speakers we're yanked out too) So if you need parts, let me know and we'll see what we can agree upon to send parts out to you or anyone else. Just need to know what you need, and I'll check to see what I have.

Trytonn
I too have a Sony SONY

I too have a Sony SONY KP57HW40 Convergence Problem and would like the service manual as well if you could. email [email protected]

rob.b
Could I get a copy of the

Could I get a copy of the service manual for the Sony kp57hw40. I am having a convergence problem .. oh and i did download Panda.. my email is [email protected]

thanks rob

camera nut
Please send manual to

Please send manual to onerchprk(at)yahoo(dot)com

Pages

Connect With Techlore