Lost Picture while watching...

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Labman
Lost Picture while watching...

I've a Panasonic PT-47WX35G projection TV, my son was watching it this morining and the picture just went off. The red power light on the front of the TV gives 3 blinks. I unplugged it for about 10 minutes plugged it back in powered it up and the power indicator started the 3 blinks again. I opened tha back of it up and nothing appears fried on any of the boards and the fuse (the only one I could find) is good.

Any suggestions other than calling a service tech?

Thanks

Labman

dans_repair_service
Larry will add details later

Larry will add details later I'm sure,  but the TV has internal circuitry that checks for status.   The three blinks indicate a problem that has been detected.  This code will indicate where the problem lies.  This is a protection mechanism that is designed to prevent major damage from occurring.  Once the problem has been identified, the fix should be relatively straight forward.

Dan

Labman
Thanks for the reply Dan,

Thanks for the reply Dan, looking forward to Larry's details, HELP Larry this is the second big screen in four years that has gone out on me, hopefully this one can be fixed, I don't think my wife's too big on me getting another!Surprised

Larry Dillon
LOL, This is a bad regulator

LOL, This is a bad regulator IC on or in the main power supply, or a shorted HOT(horizontal output Transistor) and the flyback transformer.    I have seen this problem a few times.  These are not the type of repairs one should attempt if they do not have the knowledge or the TV repair skills.  Play it safe and call out a Factory authorized Panasonic repair dealer, as they will know your set, have the proper documentaion, and have the right parts that will be needed to repair your TV set.  Good Luck and keep us informed about the progress of this repair and of the final outcome.

Labman
Larry, thanks for the info,

Larry, thanks for the info, hopefully the cost of the repair isn't too $$$! Will keep you updated!

Labman
Larry,

Larry,

Since I had the unit open I decided to clean the tubes, mirror and get some of the dust off of the boards and while doing so noticed on one board was an "SOS" chart for the blinking front LED, three blinks indicates a convergence problem, is this in line with your assesment? I want to give the service people as much info in advance.

Thanks

Labman

Larry Dillon
Yeppers, shorted convergence

Yeppers, shorted convergence IC's could certainly cause this problem. 

Labman
Thanks Larry, will give you

Thanks Larry, will give you an update after servcie!Smile

dans_repair_service
Labman: Would you mind typing

Labman: Would you mind typing in the SOS chart? It would be useful to others that have the same model. I hope to work out a way to search this site for this type of info more easily at some point, but having it at least on the site should help.

Thanks,

Dan

Labman
OK, here is the SOS chart for

OK, here is the SOS chart for the Panasonic PT-47WX35G , I would assume this is probably good for other Panasonic PT models but can't be posative

Number of Blinks     Problem

1. 1                          140V
  2. 2                          Low DC
  3. 3                          Conv.
  4. 4                          HHS
  5. 4                          IC4511
  6. 6                          IC 4518

If this helps anyone great, if it helps identify what wrong or not wrong with my set even better!

Labman

Larry Dillon
Let us know what you find or

Let us know what you find or what the repair was to this TV set.  Good Luck

Labman
Well I finally broke down and

Well I finally broke down and called repair service, after hearing my wife and kids complain for close to 3 mos.

Mr. Larry Dillon, you were dead on, 2 sorted convergance IC's, plus a blown 2.2ohm2W resistor.

Parts = $100.00

Service+Travel = $260.00 (I live about 45 miles from civilization, so my wife says)

Tax = $27.00

Total = $387.00, a couple of hundred more dollars and I probably wouldn't of had it fixed.

Thanks for the input guys.

Labman

Larry Dillon
Not a problem Labman. Glad

Not a problem Labman. Glad you called someone. I have a lot of peeps who replace the IC's but then cause further problem by not soldering  correctly, and or causing solder splashes. Some do not know how to use a multimeter so they can check the fusible resistors or pico fuses. Well, just glad to here you had it repair for a reasonable cost. Good Luck with it.

Connect With Techlore