GE rear projection tv model 52gw945...chassis ptk195ab

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
fitter
GE rear projection tv model 52gw945...chassis ptk195ab

well, this morning I turned on my set and it looked like the color guns were jarred ..I mean it was like all the color convergences were off...then I thot Id turned off the tv ..but it may have gone out on its own at the same time ...cuz I tried to turn it back on , but no power...no sounds...I bought the tv new aprox 9 years ago ...never had problems with it but when I removed the back to check the fuse...I noticed it was pretty bad with dust clogs all over the wires and boards ...that probly wasnt the best thing so I cleaned and blew out the chassis yes the fuse was blown...located under the power cord...I replaced it with a 5A fast blow fuse...was that the right one? should it havebeen slow blow ? the replacement blew as soon as I plugged it in..I tried again and the 2nd blew too...Id sure like some directions on how to fix this and where to look ...Im no tech ..I remember some one talking about diodes and caps...but I lost track of that forum...it was a similar problem as mine "blowing fuses" this Model......I hear tell your a pretty sharp cookie on these projection tv's Larry ..I dont have a sciematic or diagram ...it woud help me if I did...do you know where I could axcess one for info? This tv's been great an Id hate to crap can it...

Larry Dillon
fitter, thank you for those

fitter, thank you for those kind words.  I have worked on many of these TV sets, under the GE name as well as the RCA name.  You can get a service manual HERE.  I am sorry but I do not have one to share with you.  First thing you will need to do is make sure you know how to solder and unsolder and have the proper tools to do this job, like a low power solderin iron, a decent multimeter, and know how to use it properly.    Second thing NEVER ever replace a fuse after you have already replaced one and it blows right away again!  If your lucky, you did no additional damage to your TV set.  Ok, these sets do not have the conventional convergence circuits.  They use discreat componets instead of IC's like most manufacturers do.  Your problem could be in the convergence amp. board, or the sweep power supply, or maybe even the main power supply.  Please this is not the place to be experiemnting, if you really have no experience like you say, my best advice is to call in a tech to assist you in this repair.  This set is already about 10 years old, and I highly doubt it is worth sinking several hundred bucks into a set that could very simply break down again from a differant problem.  Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do or if you have the set repaired.

fitter
yes, 10 years ...but that tv

yes, 10 years ...but that tv 's been so good...I dunno what I'll do jus yet ...I have built a few heathkits and do tinker in electronics but it may be beyond me...I had thot that it had to do with a drop in voltage ...so that there wasnt enuff supplied to the projectors to keep them in sync...but as you pointed out it can be in several locations ...iv never done diagnostics on a circut board ...but i do know readings arent always what they say they are..oh..well ...itll sit for now..I do know how to solder and unsolder ...have changed componets ...and have the very basics on my greenlee multimeter....it's the decyphering the sciematics..and reference measuring points ....if I do devle into this lil adventure Ill let ya know ...heck whom I kiddin ...Ill be bugging the heck outta you for your imput..haha anyway, thanks,             Bill

jlbaia
I also have a GE 52GW945. I

I also have a GE 52GW945. I have noticed that the color seems to be going back. Especially when it  comes to the color RED. I was searching all over internet to try and find lamps to just incase it goes out. Does anybody know where to find them? Any help would be great. thanks.

jlbaia

Larry Dillon
What do you mean when you say

What do you mean when you say the color is going back? Do you mean they are getting dim? Have you tried to pull out the front screen and cleaning the lens and mirrors inside the set yet? Makes a world of difference on an older set such as this one.

J CRALWEY
I have the same tv an all the

I have the same tv an all the letters/colors are off set from each other. I had a blown fuse to begin with so I changed it out an ended up with this problem. An suggestions on how to
Line them all back up? Thanks JC

Connect With Techlore