Screen resolution

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
ellen farmer
Screen resolution

I have a 42" Plasma Magnavox tv.  I have a problem on all channels with screen resolution.  If I put it on zoom it does not allow me to see the top or bottom of the screen.  If I put it on wide or normal I get gray or black bars on each side of the screen reducing it to nothing more than a 32 inch screen?  What can I do to fix this?????

MOtvGuy
Is it doing it on NTSC

Is it doing it on NTSC broadcasts, HD broadcasts or both?

ellen farmer
MOtvGuy said: Is it doing it

MOtvGuy said: Is it doing it on NTSC broadcasts, HD broadcasts or both?

BOTH  But the race es on FOXTV broadcasted in HD whatever are ok.

Matt Whitlock
Hi ellen,

Hi ellen,

There is an explanation on what is happening. Read "My Hitachi 4:3 HDTV and the Black Bar Syndrome" for a pretty good explanation on what's happening. This particlular case was written for someone with a 4:3 HD set, but a lot of these ratio problems also plague widescreen owners too. Post back with any follow up questions, and maybe we can find a solution that will make this less of a problem.

ellen farmer
OK you are dealing with a

OK you are dealing with a real dummy here.  What is NTSC and what is DVI?  I currently have my cable box hooked to my TV with DVI and my book or manual (such as it is) describes NTSC.  The manual shows a Direct hook -up by coaxal and I went behind my tv and saw that it is hooked up by a plug-in cable resembling a printer cable.  I did not hook it up.  It was done by someone else.

ellen farmer
P.S. I went to youe  4:3 HDTV

P.S. I went to youe  4:3 HDTV resovle site but not helpfull

ellen farmer
PPS: My neighbors also have a

PPS: My neighbors also have a 42" Plasma TV purchased a few months before me but it is a Samsung.  The have the same cable provider but do not have HD.  Their TV NEVER has "Bar problems".

Matt Whitlock
ellen farmer said: OK you

ellen farmer said: OK you are dealing with a real dummy here. What is NTSC and what is DVI? I currently have my cable box hooked to my TV with DVI and my book or manual (such as it is) describes NTSC. The manual shows a Direct hook -up by coaxal and I went behind my tv and saw that it is hooked up by a plug-in cable resembling a printer cable. I did not hook it up. It was done by someone else.

Okay, no problem. I'd be happy to break it down a little more and clarify for you. First we have to understand what's going on, and then get a little more into your gear to maybe find some solutions. This is a multi-part problem that compounds on itself. I'll do my best not to make it too complicated.

Problem 1: the shows

First, lets look at the problem. You have a widescreen TV right, meaning it's a rectangle in a proportion of 1.78:1 (1.78 units wide by 1 high). Having a rectangle TV like that is great for HD shows and movies that are also much wider than high. Your FOX racing shows are in HD, and therefore the same ratio as your TV. That means it fits perfectly!

The problem is what to do with older shows. You know, the ones that are not in that wide rectangle format, but instead more like a square. We have many names for shows like that: analog, NTSC, 4:3, etc. (NTSC stands for National Televisions Systems Committee, and is the acronym that describes the old television standard for analog broadcasting).

Why are these old shows a problem? One evil word: Geometry. If you put a square on a rectangle, and each are the same height, there will be blank space to the sides. If you make the square taller (zoom in), it will fit the whole width of the rectangle, but you'll cut off the top and bottom of the square. Follow me so far?

Problem 2: the broadcaster

Problem 2 is the broadcaster. They're not allowed to broadcast analog shows on their digital channels, so they have to convert the old shows to digital to send them. The major problem here is that HD resolutions MUST be in a widescreen format. There's no such thing as a 4:3 HD image. Now we're back to the geometry problem, square on a rectangle remember?

The broadcaster has two choices to make the image widescreen:

1. Add bars to the side, making the image widescreen.

2. Stretch/zoom/manipulate the image to make it a rectangle.

Every broadcaster handles it differently, but what they choose will ultimate affect how you're able to view it. So even though it's still an older square analog show, they basically mimic how widescreen HD pictures are sent.

Problem 3: the TV

Widescreen TVs give you a lot of flexibility for manipulating square images to fit a rectangle space. The problem is TV makers don't do a great job of giving you those formatting options for anything other than low resolution signals. Many, many TVs only give you a zoom and wide mode when receiving HD scanning rates... and some give you less than that. Remeber, your TV only knows that it looks like a widescreen HD image. So why would you need these options (at least that's how the TV maker thinks)?

Add it all up, and here's your problem. The shows you're watching are older shows broadcast on a digital channel. The broadcaster is adding blank space to the sides of the image, and your TV only gives you two formatting options.

Finding a Solution

First, it will make a difference what kind of HD cable box you have. It's going to depend on how it's set up and what kind of options it gets you. Some boxes act like a mini-broadcaster, and convert everything to digital signals for the TV. This can limit you on how your TV can handle square shows.

So, what kind of cable box do you have? 

Finally, a small quiz: After reading all that above (sorry for being long winded), can you tell me why your neighbors aren't having these problems with their widescreen TV yet?

ellen farmer
HMMMMMM I understood

HMMMMMM I understood everything you said.  It makes sense to my 140 iq but I have a big block when it comes to electronics... or maybe I have an "anxiety" problem.  Also I have always been a person that HATES it when things do NOT DO WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.  LOL LOL LOLCry My cable box is an Explorer 3250HD by Scientific Atlanta.  It was hooked up by a "printer like" cable to the DVI input or output on back of my tv.  I have many many hook-up choices on the tv including A/V 1 thru A/V4.  My DVD player is directly hooked to TV at A/V4 is that any help?  AND BY THE WAY, I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR EXPLICIT HELP HERE.  WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

ellen farmer
I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO ASK

I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO ASK THEM ABOUT THEIR LACK OF PROBLEM.  THEY HAVE A SAMSUNG.... POSSIBLY A BETTER MAKE?

Matt Whitlock
Hi ellen,

Hi ellen,

I totally understand that electronics can just be out there for some folks. Understanding the way electronics works has nothing to do with smarts, it's all about experience. My whole life has been devoted to understanding and using technology, so even though I get it, I'm way, way in the minority.

Answer to quiz: Your neighbors don't have the same problems as you do right now because they haven't upgraded to HDTV services. However, once they do, they'll probably face the same headaches you're having.

Okay, let's move on the path to making it better.

First what you'll want to do, is run through the HD setup wizard on your cable box to make sure the system is optimized for your needs:

1. With the cable box off, press the INFO and GUIDE buttons on the front of the cable box at the same time.

2. Press the A button on your remote to start the setup wizard, and run through the questions.

3. Make sure that you have selected 16:9 as your TV type, and 720p or (auto) should be your ideal resolution if asked.

Next, we're going to engage the signal pass-through mode. This will stop your cable box from upconverting analog programs to higher scan rates.

1. Press "Settings" on the remote

2. Using the up and down arrows, scroll to Set: Picture Format

3. Then using the left and right arrows, select Pass-Through

4. Press the A button on the remote to select.

This should give you more formatting options if your TV has them, which may give you a better stretch mode to use for square, analog shows.

Let's also make sure the cable boxes own stretch modes aren't set to something odd:

1. Press "Settings" on the remote

2. Using the up and down arrows, scroll to Set: Picture Size

3. Then using the left and right arrows, select Normal or stretch. I'd need to see it in person to tell you which, but normal should be the correct choice.

4. Press the A button on the remote to select.

This may not solve the problem of upconverted shows on HDTV channels, and there may or may not be a solution to those, so let's start with what we have, and observe for a little while and see how we're doing.

About me: I'm the editor of TechLore.com and a few other web communities on the net. I'm from the Chicago area in Illinois, and have been a huge gadget geek for the better part of my life. I've been helping thers use and understand technology for almost more than 10 years. I also write, produce, and host a helpful technolgy podcast called the TechLore Podcapsule here at TechLore.com... though it's only on an "as I have time" basis, so new episodes are pretty far between these days. If you'd like to listen to one of the six episodes, you can find them here: http://www.techlore.com/blog/5528/The...

ellen farmer
Thank you Matt.  I haven't

Thank you Matt.  I haven't forgotten you just had a busy two weeks and printer getting too low on black ink to cut and paste your latest to print.  Just did so tonight and will read this weekend and try your suggestions and get back to you.  Thanks again....Laughing

ellen farmer
Hi Matt:

Hi Matt:

I finally got your suggestions printed but then went on vacation.  Today I tried your format sugesstions and was able to get the cable box set to "zoom" and my TV set to "wide" and now there are no shadow boxes or frames on the sides of the screen.  I set my tv as you said to 6:19 on cable box settings.  I now am able to view all channels in wide screen format, however, even though I can see more of top and bottom of screen printed info it still does not fit exactally.  But I am grateful for what I do have now.  Thank you, thank you thank you.  What are your feelings of cable opposed to the satellite dishes?

Matt Whitlock
You mentioned your cable box

You mentioned your cable box is set to "Zoom", which means that the image will be blown up by the cable box, cutting off some information at the top and bottom of the screen. If you want to see everthing at the top and bottom, switch your cable box to Normal or stretch, then use your TV format modes to customize the incoming signal to your TV.

On the cable vs. satellite front, switching to satellite won't give you any advantage or flexibility when it comes to formatting modes. You'll still have the same headaches with either. Choosing one over the other is more about the number of channels you wish to receive, pricing plans, and your bottom line monthly cost. Below are some pros and cons:

How many TVs you have in the house is a big factor. You need a separate satellite tuner for every TV you own, or you'll end up sharing a tuner with other sets in the house. Every extra sat tuner is another 5 bucks a month on your bill, which can really add up if you have more than three TVs in the house. Cable allows you to split the signal and at least get basic cable stations using the tuner that's built into the set. If you really only have 1 or 2 TVs in the house, satellite may be the better value.

Regular stations may look a little better on satellite, since all stations are digitally encoded for transmission. If you find yourself watching cable channels in the 100+ range, or HD, the difference in quality will be negligible. If you typically watch cable channels in the 2-99 channel range, satellite will probably look better.

Satellite is also more prone to interference by nasty weather. A heavy rain or snowstorm can knock out reception until it subsides... and usually always when you want to watch something on TV (that's what we do when the weather is bad!). It's not an "all-the-time" thing, but it is irritiating when it happens.

Satellite and cable both have different pricing package, and I (personally) think satellite is a little more fair to the consumer, but it always depends on what kinds of shows you like and what your TV needs are. 

Hope that helps you narrow it down a little!

ellen farmer
Matt Whitlock said: You

Matt Whitlock said: You mentioned your cable box is set to "Zoom", which means that the image will be blown up by the cable box, cutting off some information at the top and bottom of the screen. If you want to see everthing at the top and bottom, switch your cable box to Normal or stretch, then use your TV format modes to customize the incoming signal to your TV. On the cable vs. satellite front, switching to satellite won't give you any advantage or flexibility when it comes to formatting modes. You'll still have the same headaches with either. Choosing one over the other is more about the number of channels you wish to receive, pricing plans, and your bottom line monthly cost. Below are some pros and cons: How many TVs you have in the house is a big factor. You need a separate satellite tuner for every TV you own, or you'll end up sharing a tuner with other sets in the house. Every extra sat tuner is another 5 bucks a month on your bill, which can really add up if you have more than three TVs in the house. Cable allows you to split the signal and at least get basic cable stations using the tuner that's built into the set. If you really only have 1 or 2 TVs in the house, satellite may be the better value. Regular stations may look a little better on satellite, since all stations are digitally encoded for transmission. If you find yourself watching cable channels in the 100+ range, or HD, the difference in quality will be negligible. If you typically watch cable channels in the 2-99 channel range, satellite will probably look better. Satellite is also more prone to interference by nasty weather. A heavy rain or snowstorm can knock out reception until it subsides... and usually always when you want to watch something on TV (that's what we do when the weather is bad!). It's not an "all-the-time" thing, but it is irritiating when it happens. Satellite and cable both have different pricing package, and I (personally) think satellite is a little more fair to the consumer, but it always depends on what kinds of shows you like and what your TV needs are.  Hope that helps you narrow it down a little!

There was NO OPTION for "STRETCH" when I went there.  Meaning all I had with Cable box was what I have on TV  is Normal or Wide or Zoom.

ellen farmer
Thanks for the input for

Thanks for the input for satellite  I will stick with my cable for now.  I also found out last night that my Plasma TV will eventually need a "Gas" Update ???? after so many hours of use ???? This was not mentioned to me at time of purchase.  I mentioned to neighbors who have plasma and they said nothing about that ws mentioned to them either????  Was also told that I could go to Best Buy and purchase a Remote that could incorporate my TV, DVD, and cable box so I could drop from 4 remotes to two leaving me with the Audio (Home Theater one) and the Universal with the rest.?  The price should be $25.00  Do you know about this one?   And you did not answer me about my new DVD player with HD Up-Conversion?  Is it just a fancy way of making dvd's look like HD and I will still not be able to watch HD-DVD's on it?

Matt Whitlock
Hi Ellen,

Hi Ellen,

The cable box does have some formatting options like Wide or Normal. I printed instructions above about how to access the cable box formatting options (which are independent of the TV).  Here they are again to make them easier to find:

1. Press "Settings" on the cable box remote

2. Using the up and down arrows, scroll to Set: Picture Size

3. Then using the left and right arrows, select Normal or stretch.

Try the normal setting first, then use the TV's formatting options to adjust from there. If you can't find something that works for you, set the cable box to stretch and try the TV formatting modes again.

Plasma Myths 

As far as what you were told about your TV... Plasma Display Televisions do not need gas updates, recharging, or anything else like that. It's a common misconception that tends to float its way around every now and then. I wrote about Plasma TVs some time ago, and included a section debunking some of the common Plasma TV myths. You can check it out here: Plasma Display Panels.

HD-DVD and Upconversion 

You asked your question about upconversion and HD-DVDs in a separate thread. I posted an answer for you there yesterday: http://www.techlore.com/forum/thread/...

Remotes 

Lastly, a $25 dollar "universal" remote control may allow you to control the basic functions of all your home theater components. But in the world of remotes, "universal" is a pretty unrealistic term. There's no guarantee any of these universal remotes will have the codes for all your devices, let alone all the functions you want to use.

There are options out there that are fully programmable and can learn all the commands of your existing remotes. The only problem is the cost more than $25 dollars. Some even have advanced functionality that make controlling your gear easier. I've written a lot on this topic, so I'll point you to some resources that will start getting you up to speed on remotes. Once you decide how much you want to spend and what you want the remote to do for you, I could make some recommendations.

TechLore Articles 

- Tech Myth: 'Universal' Remote Controls

- Using Macros to Simplify the Use of a Home Theater Remote Control

Podcasts

I cover what the articles above talk about in the podcast below, plus some other fun stuff, if you like listening more than reading. :-)

- PodCapsule #6 - Getting Control of Your Gear

Larry Dillon
Just a comment if i may, Matt

Just a comment if i may, Matt said satillite was "not an all time thing".  I agree with that, but I can 100% guarantee that cable goes out a whole of a lot more then satillite does. Cable is less of "an all time thing" around here! I guarantee :>)

Connect With Techlore